PDA

View Full Version : Custom AR15 lower concept...

voodoo_man
10 June 2015, 08:30
Since the custom WEVO lower is coming together on its own - which is awesome - lets see what needs to happen in order for us to get a lower that everyone wants, maybe get a sponsor for the forum to make a custom run for us (100 or so, depending on interest - like Aero has done in the past).

Things I'd like in a custom lower:

integrated finger guard into lower - like santan, seekins, etc
ambi controls - like KAC, AXTS, etc

"Restricted LE/MIL" text - like colt, but we can change it to something more awesome

Custom fire control symbols (maybe 45 degree?) - something that hasn't been done before like Thumbs up(safe), Thumbs down(semi) and (if we want a full auto option) double-thumbs down or something like that...

Maybe a flared magwell

Material used for lower? Billet? Etc?

Opinions! Post them.

Ride4frnt
10 June 2015, 08:37
I like the idea of a fully customized lower. Your ideas all sound good but we will all have to agree on text, markings, etc. I'd like to follow this

voodoo_man
10 June 2015, 08:50
I like the idea of a fully customized lower. Your ideas all sound good but we will all have to agree on text, markings, etc. I'd like to follow this

Nothing is cut in stone, just want to start a group-think project since we have enough players on WEVO to make this happen and have it offered to the general consumer public as well.

UWone77
10 June 2015, 08:58
I know San Tan has also offered to make a custom run for WEVO on lower receivers.

Slippers
10 June 2015, 09:31
I prefer standard forged lowers, but I really wish they had integrated trigger guards. I also prefer very minimal markings, for both the roll mark and the selector. Sometimes I wish Aero only had the small A on the right side, and not the larger A on the left.

My preferences should come as no surprise considering how I run my rifles and the parts my company makes. :)

voodoo_man
10 June 2015, 10:59
I know San Tan has also offered to make a custom run for WEVO on lower receivers.

Sweet, once we figure out what kinda features, markings and setup we would want, ill contact them.

I prefer standard forged lowers, but I really wish they had integrated trigger guards. I also prefer very minimal markings, for both the roll mark and the selector. Sometimes I wish Aero only had the small A on the right side, and not the larger A on the left.

My preferences should come as no surprise considering how I run my rifles and the parts my company makes. :)

I like minimal, in fact, unless something is absolutely required it shouldn't be there.

2ATA
10 June 2015, 11:10
I'm in. Sounds fun...

I've always wanted to do "Restricted NASA" As a play on the SpaceShuttle Doorgunner theme.

GOST
10 June 2015, 11:18

+1 I usually end up Cerakoting stuff to get rid of logos. This comes from a guy who designs logos as a side business.

Soisauss
10 June 2015, 14:08
I'd like a "Restricted" roll mark........ but yea, I'd be down for a forge set as the cost of those will be lower than a billet one.

Ride4frnt
10 June 2015, 14:10
Yep. Forged sets do it for me too, albeit they don't have ambi controls.

GOST
10 June 2015, 14:40
The WEVO Rainier Arms Gen 3 isn't even out yet and you're already wanting something different.[BD]

Aragorn
10 June 2015, 15:10
The WEVO Rainier Arms Gen 3 isn't even out yet and you're already wanting something different.[BD]

Ha. This is my problem pretty much always.

voodoo_man
10 June 2015, 17:50
"Restricted NASA" does have a pretty funny ring to it...maybe a door gun/shuttle logo instead of a wevo logo? maybe a shuttle with a wevo logo on the rear tail?

Forged is good, doesn't need to have ambi in that case - also minimal markings if we will go that route?

Thompson
10 June 2015, 18:22
If we go minimal markings, we could do something like: WEVO logo w/ slashed circle (safe), WEVO logo (semi), Dirty Girl (unicorn) ... perhaps that would appease some folks?

A nice forged lower works for me - save everyone some money that way too.

Slippers
10 June 2015, 18:24
I was thinking tiny wevo logo, like the size of the Aero Precision 'A' on this picture: http://aeroprecisionusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/p/apar501101_ar15_stripped_lower_gen2_anodized_1.jpg

And that's it.

voodoo_man
10 June 2015, 18:30
I was thinking tiny wevo logo, like the size of the Aero Precision 'A' on this picture: http://aeroprecisionusa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/p/apar501101_ar15_stripped_lower_gen2_anodized_1.jpg

And that's it.

That would be nice.

I really want a lower that has some sort of "restricted" markings on it.

Aragorn
10 June 2015, 18:32
That would be nice.

"RESTRICTED WEVO"

...?

Dstrbdmedic167
10 June 2015, 18:54
"Registered WEVO" only?

alamo5000
10 June 2015, 19:31
Is there any rule that says the WEVO arrow has to be pointed to the right?

Anyway imagine this:

First let me borrow a pic from Ordnance...

http://i.imgur.com/P7dKMtTh.jpg

Where the mega logo is do the WEVO logo engraved the same way as the mega logo...

Under it in plain font write on line one 'WEAPON' and right under it 'EVOLUTION'

Over on the side right in front of the selector in that flat area write 'limited edition'

And on the upper on the flat area right under say where your optic would mount in small print 'Weapon Evolution'...

Slippers
10 June 2015, 19:32
That would be nice.

Text would be fine. I was only commenting about the roll mark. I don't like big, busy logos on my lowers. The Noveske iron cross doesn't bug me too much, though. :)

din
10 June 2015, 19:52
Restricted US Dept Sandwich Inspection

JHoward
10 June 2015, 19:57
I'd be down if it said "Restricted NASA" or Space Shuttle Door Gunner, or something like that, since I work on the NASA test stands it would be twice as cool.

Soisauss
10 June 2015, 20:44
"Registered WEVO" only?

THIS.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&ved=0CAkQjBwwAGoVChMIgamx6NyGxgIVB5qACh1eTQAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.memgenerator.pl%2Fmem-image%2Fi-like-you-en-ffffff&ei=_AN5VYG7AYe0ggTemgE&psig=AFQjCNEEY89Wv2zNJA2wA7II7EpS_yHazA&ust=1434080636102624

GOST
10 June 2015, 20:48
Are you really this interested in what it says on your lower?

Soisauss
10 June 2015, 20:50
Are you really this interested in what it says on your lower?

Considering the uniqueness, yes. lololololl

GOST
10 June 2015, 20:59
Considering the uniqueness, yes. lololololl

You know companies like Ident Marking will engrave whatever you want, a lot of your local trophy shops will do the same. That way you can have a one of a kind and be the most unique individual ever.

Soisauss
10 June 2015, 21:02
You know companies like Ident Marking will engrave whatever you want, a lot of your local trophy shops will do the same. That way you can have a one of a kind and be the most unique individual ever.

I'm sensing that you're irate with all the marking and custom lower receivers talk. If that's the case, we can have a plain Jane lower. Fine by me.

GOST
10 June 2015, 21:10
Just wonder if you guys are more interested in this idea than the WEVO Gen 3 set?

Soisauss
10 June 2015, 21:28
No, I still want my battlekitty. [:D]

mustangfreek
11 June 2015, 03:10
So not sure where this is going..cheap no frills lower with??

Not sarcastic, just curious

voodoo_man
11 June 2015, 05:49
Not just markings, but features...what type of features?

Aragorn
11 June 2015, 08:52
Something forged with maybe a slight flare to the magwell. Integrated trigger guard, ability to use a short throw selector.

Slippers
12 June 2015, 09:08
Something forged with maybe a slight flare to the magwell. Integrated trigger guard, ability to use a short throw selector.

A standard forged lower receiver, before it is milled, doesn't have material around the outside of the magwell or trigger guard, so you can't add those things. You can flare the inside of the magwell a little bit, but that's it.

Doing a custom forging to add those features is extremely expensive unless you're doing high volume. I was always surprised Noveske did the gen 2 receivers out of a forging, but that's probably because John didn't skimp on quality. Vltor is the same way; they do the MUR uppers out of a forging.

Aragorn
12 June 2015, 10:03
A standard forged lower receiver, before it is milled, doesn't have material around the outside of the magwell or trigger guard, so you can't add those things. You can flare the inside of the magwell a little bit, but that's it.

Doing a custom forging to add those features is extremely expensive unless you're doing high volume. I was always surprised Noveske did the gen 2 receivers out of a forging, but that's probably because John didn't skimp on quality. Vltor is the same way; they do the MUR uppers out of a forging.

Thought I had seen a standard looking forged lower with an integrated trigger guard, but can't remember where. And a slight flare is totally fine. Even if it's more of a bevel.

Though... if we'll be using San Tan we've already got a shape.

Slippers
12 June 2015, 11:09
Thought I had seen a standard looking forged lower with an integrated trigger guard, but can't remember where. And a slight flare is totally fine. Even if it's more of a bevel.

Though... if we'll be using San Tan we've already got a shape.

Just look up a picture of a forged lower pre-milling, and you'll understand what I'm talking about. If someone is making a forged lower with integrated trigger guard then it's a custom forging (ala Noveske gen 2).

As far as san tan goes, I'll pass. One of my best friends was not treated well by them.

RiverRat
12 June 2015, 11:48
Thought I had seen a standard looking forged lower with an integrated trigger guard, but can't remember where.

Anderson makes them. They retail for $40 at AIM Surplus (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1ANSLNTG)

https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/product/F1ANSLNTG2.jpg

Image Credit: AIM Surplus

JHoward
12 June 2015, 15:13
If I could order Anderson lowers without any of their engraving, I would be happy. All of their markings look like crap to me.

Dstrbdmedic167
12 June 2015, 15:18
Where's UW? I know he wants one! 😂😂

GOST
13 June 2015, 10:06
Things I'd like in a custom lower:

integrated finger guard into lower - like santan, seekins, etc
ambi controls - like KAC, AXTS, etc

"Restricted LE/MIL" text - like colt, but we can change it to something more awesome

Maybe a flared magwell.
Sounds a lot like the lower from a Hodge Defense AU-Mod 2.

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/IMG_1232.jpg

Slippers
13 June 2015, 10:07
Sounds a lot like the lower from a Hodge Defense AU-Mod 2.

Yeah, I'd take one of the Hodges. Although it also has ambi. Are those actually forged? I see the restricted marks that voodoo wants.

Pass on the Anderson. :)

Aragorn
13 June 2015, 10:53
Pass on the Anderson as well.

UWone77
13 June 2015, 11:15
I think the Noveske Gen II with a BAD-ASS and a HVA Ambi Mag release is where it's at when it comes to a forged lower.

Dstrbdmedic167
13 June 2015, 11:33
I think the Noveske Gen II with a BAD-ASS and a HVA Ambi Mag release is where it's at when it comes to a forged lower.

Side note: What should a gen 1 noveske stripped lower run new?

voodoo_man
13 June 2015, 13:21
I'd buy a Hodge lower if he sold them...

Who can we get to make one of those, without the hodge logo, obviously, and a custom logo or three?

Slippers
13 June 2015, 13:38

Too bad they're so rare now that they aren't making the gen 2 any more. At least I have mine! :)

GOST
13 June 2015, 13:53
I'd buy a Hodge lower if he sold them...

They will be sold, but they will be 7075 T6 instead of the Aluminum Lithium alloy.

voodoo_man
13 June 2015, 14:30
They will be sold, but they will be 7075 T6 instead of the Aluminum Lithium alloy.

Dunno when thatll happen so...lets find a company to make it