PDA

View Full Version : PS90 project? Help me out guys

alamo5000
11 June 2015, 20:06
I am wondering if anyone owns or knows about a PS90?

One of my shooting buddies has one and I really like that thing. I have shot it I don't know how many times.

What I am thinking of trying is chopping the barrel or taking the muzzle device off of it and pinning and welding a Griffin Taper mount on it to make it meet the 16" rule but also so I can mount my suppressor...

The way I figure it WITH the suppressor if I can somehow manage to do all this the entire rifle would be about 30" OAL with the suppressor on it and it would be about as quiet as a subsonic 300 BO. Plus I would have 50 rounds of love [:D]

Based on my rough math it would be about the same OAL as an 11" barreled SBR with a suppressor.

I've never disassembled a PS90 but all I would really need is to get a barrel that has a 1/2x28 pitch then I can pin and weld the taper mount (if it's shorter than 16") and let er rip.

What do you guys think of such a project? What do you think it would take to get it done?

Help me out here... any ideas?

The idea would be to not have an SBR tax stamp if I could avoid it. I still might do a 5.56 SBR but this PS90 route has piqued my interest.

GOST
11 June 2015, 20:16
I'm a fan of the PS90, go for it.

alamo5000
11 June 2015, 20:25
I'm a fan of the PS90, go for it.

I have always loved shooting his (my friend's) PS90... I really like that gun... the problem is just getting it all done right if I go that route.

I found this:

http://hi-desertdog.com/ps90-18.html?page=all

I am not sure if I would need an 18.5" barrel like that though. I would have to figure it all out and see if I could get by with a shorter barrel with a pinned and welded taper mount. In an ideal world I would have a barrel length just long enough to meet the OAL and barrel requirements by 1/2" or so with the taper mount pinned and welded.

Just think about it... a 5.56 can on that... no SBR paperwork... 50 rounds... with sound similar to a suppressed subsonic 300. Just finding the right barrel with the right thread and configuration is the issue from my initial look at it.

Dstrbdmedic167
11 June 2015, 20:39
Guy on 68 forums did one. I can check with him and see what he did with his as SBR.

alamo5000
11 June 2015, 20:53
Guy on 68 forums did one. I can check with him and see what he did with his as SBR.

I am seeing tons online about SBR'ing them... so yeah ask away. I would hope I could get a drop in barrel that I can pin/weld a 1/2x28 griffin taper mount on to avoid the SBR thing... but if I need to SBR I will SBR...

I probably will do an SBR but that might be a different project.

alamo5000
11 June 2015, 21:04
Hey hey... this also might be something to look at....

http://www.lakesidefirearms.com/product.huntertown-arms-ps90-threaded-barrel-shroud

alamo5000
11 June 2015, 22:27
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhqYYqvIZa4

Mecha_Arms
11 June 2015, 23:18
I think they're super cool and you have a great idea. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

alamo5000
11 June 2015, 23:21
OK I did some digging on the interwebs on a boring thursday night.

The breech face to the tip of the muzzle with the standard factory barrel etc is 18.5".... this is done so that they can meet the overall 26" length requirement. When they come from the factory they are 26.23" tip to tail.

If I got this barrel (also mentioned above) it would keep the exact same overall dimensions of the rifle but also allow a muzzle device to be added, which means I could put a griffin taper mount on it and run the can.

http://hi-desertdog.com/ps90-18.html?page=all

Per Griffin's specs the suppressor I have on the way only adds less than 4" to the overall length of the rifle when installed, so with the suppressor I would wind up with a 30ish inch long rifle. Let's call it 30 and 1/2" inches just for kicks and giggles. Which that would be about the same length (as I suspected) of a 11.5" SBR with the stock fully collapsed while wearing the exact same can.... and no SBR paperwork.

It's definitely doable but the downsides from what I can see is the PS90 is a PITA to work on....and cost wise I wouldn't really save all that much. Let's say I could pick up a brand new PS90 for $1200 bucks... then add in another $550 for that barrel assembly...I am already in for $1750 bare minimum....

I think I could build a ground up SBR for pretty close to that...using all premium parts...I might even be able to do it for that INCLUDING the cost of the stamp....if not it would still be pretty close.

alamo5000
11 June 2015, 23:26
I think they're super cool and you have a great idea. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I haven't ruled it out yet. In concept it sounds fantastic...but it definitely does not sound as easy as I thought it would be.

If I go the traditional route I don't have to worry about proprietary parts and all that. One $200 stamp and I can do what I want with off the shelf parts to boot.

But it is still possible. :)

I still like the PS90...

GOST
12 June 2015, 02:01
Off topic, but have you ever watch this Carnik Con P90 video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ACX6ZcqTU

Former11B
12 June 2015, 05:25
The cost of 5.7 ammo makes the PS90 prohibitive for me.

In the meantime, check out this Armslist Abomination PS90 near me:

http://www.armslist.com/posts/4307186/columbia-south-carolina-nfa-firearms-for-sale--ps90-gen-2-sbr--1500-including-le-ammo-american-eagle-ammo-threaded

"This is a PS90 Gen 2 SBR built for me. Has standard AR threads, and a factory FNH CMORE red dot sight. 250 red label rounds, 200 american eagle rounds, and 100 blue label rounds. Three 50 round magazines. Oh, AND ill let you take possession of the item while it goes through the process. "

Can we say....FELONY

alamo5000
14 June 2015, 15:57
Off topic, but have you ever watch this Carnik Con P90 video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0ACX6ZcqTU

Yes I have seen that before. That dude is absolutely hilarious!

"Discharges at a rate of about 900 rounds per minute, which is perfect without being too ridiculous" LOL

My friend that owns one is a big FN fan... he got in way early on this... he has several of the pistols and a whole collection of FN stuff.... he has about 30 or 40 thousand rounds of 5.7 of ammo that he picked up in bulk and through finding crazy deals... but you are right... the ammo is a huge factor.

You gotta admit though, if you could get a fully auto P90 SBR and suppress it...daaaaaang that would be awesome.

That said I have done some research on this project and after looking into it the cost and effort it would be a tad bit on the expensive side to get one and convert it and all that. It's still a worthy cause but I think I might have to hold off on this one a bit longer. There are a couple of reasons to do it and a couple of reasons not to do it...

My money is not growing on trees so I have to pick and choose which projects I want to undertake.

alamo5000
14 June 2015, 16:12
"We didn't get to the moon on numbers. We got to the moon on testicles" LOL

alamo5000
14 June 2015, 16:22

Just out of curiosity I checked on the price of 5.7 ammo and it's about 38 cents a round...That's pretty close to the same price as shooting an AR...

toolboxluis00200
14 June 2015, 16:35
Why not one of this
http://www.57center.com

Former11B
14 June 2015, 16:48
Just out of curiosity I checked on the price of 5.7 ammo and it's about 38 cents a round...That's pretty close to the same price as shooting an AR...

Not for a reloader.

FN hasn't released enough info (last I checked) about the 5.7 round in terms of safe pressure ranges etc so I doubt anyone can load it with 100% confidence in what they're doing. It uses very light bullets like a 22 Hornet (25-40gr) but haven't seen what powders work safely besides a couple Ramshot powders I don't think I've seen on the shelves in years.

Lots of chasing down components to reload a tiny rifle casing. Juice ain't worth the squeeze IMO

alamo5000
14 June 2015, 17:53
Why not one of this
http://www.57center.com

That could work too...Then I could run a 5.56, a .300 and a 5.7 on an SBR'ed lower...of course I would need to invest in a .30 cal can...

But what has me investigating this round in particular is that suppressed it's about as loud as a suppressed .300 BO. I'm just thinking out loud at this point....

Former11B does have a point that you can reload 5.56 and .300 but 5.7 might prove to be a challenge. You would have to buy commercial ammo from now on.

An upside to sticking with the standard stuff is that... well... it's standard.

At the end of the day the next build (whatever form it comes in) will be a 100 yards and in gun... and I want it to be quiet. the more quiet the better.

GOST
14 June 2015, 20:00
If like to see you the SBR PS90... and SBR an AR lower. That's really the only correct answer.[BD] I really like the PS90, very fun gun.

alamo5000
14 June 2015, 20:27
If like to see you the SBR PS90... and SBR an AR lower. That's really the only correct answer.[BD] I really like the PS90, very fun gun.

Once I get the suppressor in hand hopefully I can build my bank accounts back up...after that who knows :) But I am planning out and thinking over what it will be...I have a few ideas in mind but over the next few months I am going to have to pick one and go with it.

But if I had the money... you better believe I would have a number of things going on.... [:D]

I just have to go bit by bit to build things....

GOST
14 June 2015, 20:36
I know the feeling, I try to do only one project a year. I've still got a little bit to go on my SBR. Hopefully next year it's gonna be either a can or a SCAR 17S.

alamo5000
14 June 2015, 20:46
I know the feeling, I try to do only one project a year. I've still got a little bit to go on my SBR. Hopefully next year it's gonna be either a can or a SCAR 17S.

I generally have a taste for the finer things in life... and it's not just guns [BD]

I really need to get back in the game though... I like so many others are living on a severely cut budget (I am living on like 1/5th of what I made before)...that said I am doing ok so I shouldn't complain. Gotta keep a good perspective [:D]

I could blow a million bucks on guns and ammo with no problem whatsoever. The problem is, I don't have a million bucks [BD] LOL

If I ever hit it big I will send my jet for you guys to come to the ranch so we can have a WEVO Weekend down in Texas LOL!

WHSmithIV
15 June 2015, 12:03
The Proguns site has these specs for the PS 90

Caliber: 5.7x28mm
Barrel Length: 16 1/16”
Total Length: 26 1/4”
Weight: 6 lbs., 9 oz.
Magazine Capacity: 10 or 30 rounds
Magazine Type: Horizontal Box Magazine
Blowback Operated, Semi-Automatic

So, if you got a 14.5" barrel (or had the barrel cut and threaded to be 'just a tad' over 16") for pinning the muzzle device for the suppressor, you'd be good to go. Are you sure a 5.56 suppressor will also pass a 5.7 bullet though? I'd definitely check with the suppressor manufacturer just to be on the safe side.

http://www.proguns.com/fnh-ps90.asp

WHSmithIV
15 June 2015, 12:05
I generally have a taste for the finer things in life... and it's not just guns [BD]

I really need to get back in the game though... I like so many others are living on a severely cut budget (I am living on like 1/5th of what I made before)...that said I am doing ok so I shouldn't complain. Gotta keep a good perspective [:D]

I could blow a million bucks on guns and ammo with no problem whatsoever. The problem is, I don't have a million bucks [BD] LOL

If I ever hit it big I will send my jet for you guys to come to the ranch so we can have a WEVO Weekend down in Texas LOL!

Sounds good to me... our budget is so tight that it's like wearing a tourniquet on all appendages. I think there is 'maybe' $8 in the bank account.

alamo5000
15 June 2015, 17:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWw-DKxxQOE

alamo5000
15 June 2015, 18:16
Are you sure a 5.56 suppressor will also pass a 5.7 bullet though? I'd definitely check with the suppressor manufacturer just to be on the safe side.

Yes it works. Earlier in the thread (post #7) shows exactly that.

Thompson
15 June 2015, 18:19
... a little late to the party but ... I figured you'd like to know.

It is to my knowledge that FN does sell a shorter, SBR-length barrel for the PS90 (11"? it's somewhere around there). The reason why they don't flat out sell the PS90 in SBR configuration is all the associated paperwork; that's what I was told.

Former11B
15 June 2015, 20:16
So, if you got a 14.5" barrel (or had the barrel cut and threaded to be 'just a tad' over 16") for pinning the muzzle device for the suppressor, you'd be good to go. Are you sure a 5.56 suppressor will also pass a 5.7 bullet though? I'd definitely check with the suppressor manufacturer just to be on the safe side.

http://www.proguns.com/fnh-ps90.asp

Same bullet, just lighter grain in the PS90 for the most part. Most people use stainless .22 suppressors rated for .22 Mag for it so they've got six ounces on the barrel vs sixteen.