PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Steel Targets?

Pyzik
25 June 2015, 08:36
So, I have an opportunity to recover some scrap steel plating here at work. 1/2" diamond plate (back side is smooth though).

Millwright said he'd be happy to cut it into some rectangles for me.

Problem is, it's likely mild steel.
Think it would be worth it to try and temper it myself? Pretty easy right? Throw it in a fire, let it glow, quench.
However, there is no way to test hardness...

Can't decide if it will be worth the trouble...

velocity2006
25 June 2015, 08:41
You have to heat treat, and then temper. You basically heat the metal and then do a quench, this hardens the metal. After you have to temper in an oven to normalize the metal again otherwise it will be too brittle.

IMO it's much easier to buy the AR500 steel already heat treated, but I would imagine 1/2" steel should hold up to pistol calibers just fine. Pretty sure a .223/5.56 still may blow through mild steel even with a heat treatment.

Mild steel works alright, but every time I've used it we punch holes through it, they are still good targets though, just don't expect them to last forever.

2ATA
25 June 2015, 09:20
Using it to mess with testing round penetration on steel would be fun.

SINNER
25 June 2015, 09:21
For free I would shoot them until they fail.

Slippers
25 June 2015, 09:57
You'll probably punch holes right through them with a rifle. If you shoot a pistol at them, just inspect and make sure it's not pitting. As soon as that happens you can end up with bullets coming back at you, even if the steel is angled downward.

Pyzik
25 June 2015, 10:15
You'll probably punch holes right through them with a rifle. If you shoot a pistol at them, just inspect and make sure it's not pitting. As soon as that happens you can end up with bullets coming back at you, even if the steel is angled downward.
That's exactly what I was worried about.

Computalotapus
26 June 2015, 04:53
I pick up 4'x8' 3/8" thick sheets of AR500 for $380. Then I take it over to a friends shop and cut it up how I want it on the flowjet.

Pyzik you should just schedule a time to come down for the day hang out and shoot while we cut up your sheet 😁

Pyzik
26 June 2015, 05:04
I pick up 4'x8' 3/8" thick sheets of AR500 for $380. Then I take it over to a friends shop and cut it up how I want it on the flowjet.

Pyzik you should just schedule a time to come down for the day hang out and shoot while we cut up your sheet 😁

That would be awesome. How much does a sheet like that weigh I wonder... Once it's cut up. Gotta get it home, you know. :p

Computalotapus
26 June 2015, 05:06
That would be awesome. How much does a sheet like that weigh I wonder... Once it's cut up. Gotta get it home, you know. :p

I don't know the exact weight but if you are coming down in a 2WD Z71 you should be ok lol

Dstrbdmedic167
26 June 2015, 05:11
I don't know the exact weight but if you are coming down in a 2WD Z71 you should be ok lol

You're just peanut butter and jealous....

UWone77
26 June 2015, 05:26

[:D]

Comp killed it.... LOL

Dstrbdmedic167
26 June 2015, 06:05
The abuse I take from you guys... Only thing worse is if I was a ginger or a cop....

Slippers
26 June 2015, 06:18

Where are the wevo tactical cat targets?

SINNER
27 June 2015, 05:24

HAHAHHAHAHA

Dstrbdmedic167
27 June 2015, 06:00
HAHAHHAHAHA

Ohh shut it Rodman fanboy... Lol

SINNER
27 June 2015, 06:10
Hey, he was a monster off the boards. LOL