PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Benelli M1-S90

tappedandtagged
28 June 2015, 02:41
Recently I stopped by one of my favorite pawn shops in search of an old Wingmaster. They didn't have one, but the owner said he had something he knew I would like. He went to the back and came out with a Benelli M1 Super 90. It was one of the older ones with express type sights imported by H&K. After talking with him for a while, I bought it. That was Wednesday.

On Saturday, I finally got the time to go to the range. I went prepared (except for the rain storm), wanting to test the reliability. But, I guess the rain did help a bit with the reliability testing. By the time the rain let up, both the gun and I were soaked. I took a large variety of shells with me. They were as follows:

For light/target loads, I took some Remington STS Target, Winchester Super Target X-tra Lite, Federal Game Shok and some Remington Nitro Handicapped.

For buck, all 00, I took Spartan Arms (way cheap), Estate, Remington Express, Winchester "military" and some Federal LE with the flite control wad. I also found a 5 round box of 3" mag Remington.

For slugs, I took mostly Remington, with a few Federal Premium. I also found around 10 old Federal paper hulled slugs that came from my wife's great grandfather.

I first shot several Federal game loads to test it out. Not an issue. I figured IF I were to have a malfunction, it would be with the light loads. I cracked open the box of x-tra lite Winchesters and shot off 8 rounds without an issue. I then tried to "soft shoulder" the shotgun, still no issue. I then fired off a tube full from the hip, no issue. I then took an aggressive stance, leaned into the gun, with all 6'3", 250 lbs of me, and still couldn't induce a malfunction. The last test was firing the shotgun from my hip again, but this time, with the stock "shouldered" on my hip. With the light recoil, the gun barely moved me, but it still cycled every round and still locked back on the last round. This is when I began squealing like a little girl with excitement.

The rest of the rounds were used up "playing." I killed nearly 12 empty coke canes re-filled with water, ate the paint off a few steel targets, destroyed several plants that weren't supposed to be growing on the berm and just had fun.

The slugs were shooting a bit to the right and low at 40 yards. A quick adjustment got them shooting right on wind age wise. They were hitting around 2-3" low at 40, but that's not enough to make me break out a file on the front sight.

I really enjoyed all of it, except the five 3" magnums. Man, those were punishing. The recoil was so fierce that my charging handle became dislodged after the 3rd shot. Thankfully it fell basically at my feet. This was the only issue I had with the gun during my range session.

Out of ~200 rounds, they all cycled fine. Light, heavy, REALLY heavy, soft shoulder, firm shoulder/hip, whatever, the gun ran. I know 200 rounds is not exactly a long term test, but it was enough to make me confident the gun would work when I needed it.

I'm on vacation this next week and plan on shooting it a good deal more. I plan on getting to Wal-Mart and picking up a few different 100-round value packs and trying those out.

And yes, I'll post pics when I can. The camera stayed in the truck yesterday with all the rain, but I believe it is moving out of the area.

SINNER
28 June 2015, 16:12
I have a Super Black Eagle 2 with at least 15,000 rounds through it and it malfunctioned 2 times in its life. It was brutally cold and I blame the lube I was using. I truly believe Benelli makes the most reliable semi auto shotguns. And I thought the 3.5" turkey loads were rough until I used a 870 one day to try hunting with a red dot. Those semi's take a lot off the recoil.

tappedandtagged
28 June 2015, 23:32
They do. I wish I had've taken my Mossberg 500 out and shot them side by side. I'll have to do that this weekend while I'm on vacation.

MCA
29 June 2015, 13:01
Excellent purchase! Congratulations.

I have the same thing I purchased new in 1996 (Benelli/HK M1-Super 90). After almost 20 years I have lost count of the number of shells through it. It eats anything. Even randomly loading 8 or 9 various sizes, weights, slugs, shot, etc of shells it doesn't miss a beat. It has been flawless since day one. I have the 18.5 inch barrel on it for HD so your right, it kicks like a flippin mule with certain loads. Best damn weapon I have ever purchased. I will never get rid of it. Breakdown is simple and quick.

Anyways, enjoy. Thanks for posting. Come to think of it I need to take that thing out for some fun...

MoxyDave
30 June 2015, 12:33
Interesting. I've had trouble with light loads in my M1 Super 90. Everything else works great but the cheap #8 is very unreliable. Not really what the gun is meant for, but it's cheap to shoot and fun with clays ...

tappedandtagged
30 June 2015, 20:05
Excellent purchase! Congratulations.

I have the same thing I purchased new in 1996 (Benelli/HK M1-Super 90). After almost 20 years I have lost count of the number of shells through it. It eats anything. Even randomly loading 8 or 9 various sizes, weights, slugs, shot, etc of shells it doesn't miss a beat. It has been flawless since day one. I have the 18.5 inch barrel on it for HD so your right, it kicks like a flippin mule with certain loads. Best damn weapon I have ever purchased. I will never get rid of it. Breakdown is simple and quick.

Anyways, enjoy. Thanks for posting. Come to think of it I need to take that thing out for some fun...

You ever find a good way to mount a light on it? I was wanting the GG&G mount that replaces the sling mount on the tube, but they don't seem to make one for the M1 it seems. Would the M2 one be the same?

MCA
2 July 2015, 15:27
You ever find a good way to mount a light on it? I was wanting the GG&G mount that replaces the sling mount on the tube, but they don't seem to make one for the M1 it seems. Would the M2 one be the same?

Sorry about the delayed reply. Have the father-in-law in this week.

Honestly I have never tried to mount one (shame on me, I know). I'm sure someone has either posted how or would have an answer regarding that here:

http://forums.benelliusa.com/

I have posted a few questions there and gotten the answers I was looking for. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Happy 4th to you...

tappedandtagged
8 July 2015, 23:51
I think I'm going to order this: http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/flashlights-accessories/flashlight-mounts/1-light-mount-sku100000400-1537-5806.aspx

It seems like a simple, low profile mount for a 1" light, which I have plenty of. The linked one is for 1" mag tubes, but the company does make them for 26 mm tubes, which would fit my benelli. Although, brownells price is a good bit better, and I'm already ordering an oversized safety from there, so I may just buy the 1" mount and open it up 0.025" with some emory cloth.

EssieX584
29 September 2015, 13:32
Whoa loads of beneficial material.