PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful Who You Listen To

GOST
29 June 2015, 16:59
Went to the LGS to pick up my Rainier Arms Ultramatch Mod 3 billet set and asked them if they had anything new in-stock. He then showed me the Battle Arms Development Sabertube Stock combo. He said that the stock was not a stock but an end cap and would was a way around NFA space like an arm brace. I told him that it says it's a stock on the packaging and he told me I was wrong and that they have been selling them as end caps.

SINNER
29 June 2015, 17:13
Sharp as a marble.

UWone77
29 June 2015, 17:18
Unfortunately, it's not like gun store workers are paid a lot, so you get what you pay for in terms of advice.

GOST
29 June 2015, 17:22
This employee is also an LEO who has worked there for years. I've emailed BAD so that I can have an email to show them.

UWone77
29 June 2015, 17:43
This employee is also an LEO who has worked there for years. I've emailed BAD so that I can have an email to show them.

That's why I never ask my coworkers about guns. Most of them don't know dick about guns.

Interesting he'd work there, along with a full time LEO gig? Must pay shit.

GOST
29 June 2015, 18:01
Don't think he is full time.

rob_s
29 June 2015, 18:09
Re: thread title...

You have no idea. It's not just limited to LGS twinkles and goes all the way up to nationally known instructors and gun celebrities.

Pull back the curtain. It's a shady business full of egos, liars, shills, shitbags, alliances, emotion, and dirty tampons.

UWone77
29 June 2015, 18:10

You have no idea. It's not just limited to LGS twinkles and goes all the way up to nationally known instructors and gun celebrities.

Pull back the curtain. It's a shady business full of egos, liars, shills, shitbags, alliances, emotion, and dirty tampons.

As usual rob, you put it better than I could ever...[BD]

SINNER
29 June 2015, 18:27
Sounds just like the Motorsports industry.

Thompson
29 June 2015, 18:31

I'm sorry, not to hijack the thread, but this just screamed Red Jacket to me.

BoilerUp
29 June 2015, 19:30

In other words, it's full of people.

Remember folks, on average, people are....average.

GOST
29 June 2015, 19:42
The shop employee is not a bad guy, but doesn't understand how much trouble he could get a customer in. I use this shop since they're near the DOE reservation, but they are also the shop that complains every time I come in because I don't buy anything.

toolboxluis00200
29 June 2015, 19:45
Maybe if you some thing they give you some real info lol

SINNER
29 June 2015, 19:51
Piss off window shopper. Lol

GOST
29 June 2015, 20:07
I'm definitely a window shopper, I rarely buy anything but ammo.

Soisauss
29 June 2015, 20:42

Oh my......

rob_s
30 June 2015, 05:58
The shop employee is not a bad guy, but doesn't understand how much trouble he could get a customer in. I use this shop since they're near the DOE reservation, but they are also the shop that complains every time I come in because I don't buy anything.

The road to hell....

I was that guy once upon a time. I worked in a local police-supply/army-surplus/gun shop. I was, I think, <25 years old. I was still in grad school. I had my head firmly up my ass, wedged there by my ego and my good intentions. I thought I had shit on lock!

And you know what? To some extent, I did. At least compared to the mouth-breathers that came walking in to the shop. First of all, this was largely pre-internet so there weren't a lot of guys that knew a lot without having actually done a lot, and there weren't a lot of guys that had done a lot.

but I look back on some of the things I told customers, or sold customers, etc. and it's cringe-worthy. Not only did I not know what I was talking about, but I should have KNOWN that I didn't know what I was talking about and shut my damn hole.

The truth of the matter is, however, that it really doesn't matter. All these guys go out and take classes from this ninja, or that alleged ninja, or this other internet celebrity, and they all talk about tactical this and death-dealing that. And they buy up all this "hard use" and "gunfighter" marketing crap, and they rush around in their camo (or, worse, they go out of their way to rush around in their NOT camo so they can claim to be cooler than the camo guys...), and it just doesn't actually matter.

The balloon isn't going up. The elephant will not be seen. The only shit that's hitting any fans is spewing out of the mouths of the talking heads and gun-world celebrities. If, and that's a huge if, you ever actually need to shoot someone you probably won't have any of that crap with you. You'll be better served learning the best part of a person's face to bit to inflict the most damage because their are pinning your arms under you and punching you in the cock and your teeth are all you have available. And, frankly, that goes for a LOT of cops too. If you're working a town with a population smaller than a medium college's enrollment, I'm talking to you. When was the last time someone in your department actually shot someone, and that person actually needed shooting because the cop might have otherwise died? Can't remember? Then stop acting like you're a ninja that needs ninja shit.

Prior service? Awesome! Thank you, a million times, for your service. you did what I could not, would not, do. But it's "prior" for a reason. and while your service as a mechanic for 20 years is better than my non-service as a greedy capitalist pig college boy, it's still prior, and it never had any bearing on face-shooting and death-dealing anyway.

So it's all really just LARPing.

So if the pimply faced kid behind the counter sells you a revolver loaded with mag-safe ammo as the best possible home-defense gun, you probably deserve it. But it also probably doesn't matter.

someone made a comment that my post sounded like offroading or something. That's not a bad analogy. It just simply has to do with anything dudes do. The corollary would be the fat accountant that walks into a motocross shop, asks the 19 year old tattooed dork in the showroom what the best bike is for riding trails, the kid deosn't know shit from brown bread ("but he works in an MX shop!") and sells him the worst possible bike, and it doesn't matter anyway because fat accountant is never going to leave the county dirt roads.

GOST
30 June 2015, 06:20
How did Rob know this employee was all tattooed up?[BD]

Years ago when my Wife bought her first handgun she took a self defense class at this same LGS. I have never attended any classes myself except Hunter's Ed., would love attend a Kyle Defoor class someday. I asked my wife what she learned and she told that the instructor told the class aim only for the assailant's head or crotch due to them probably wearing body armor. I told my wife that's not that easy.

I went with my Wife some when she was handgun shopping and heard some very interesting stuff. In another store an employee told her that .380 would not penetrate a belt.

SINNER
30 June 2015, 07:26
What the hell is wrong with tattoos?

alamo5000
30 June 2015, 10:13
I ask questions a lot. Sometimes probably to the point where some people think I'm pestering but its mainly because I want to know, learn, ad hear other people's opinions.

Needless to say I have myself ran across a lot of bullshit artists and people who just don't know but still might be good people who enjoy shooting.

At the end of the day my bullshit meter is tuned to "fine" mainly because there is a lot of it out there. Some is mall ninja and other stuff isn't. But by asking questions and listening sometimes you run across a lot of golden opportunities to learn stuff.

GOST
30 June 2015, 13:05
What the hell is wrong with tattoos?

They've just become the popular trend. I personally don't have any, but I don't have any problems with them.

GOST
30 June 2015, 15:02
Took the email from Battle Arms Development to the LGS and explained that BAD said that the combo could not be used on a pistol.

velocity2006
30 June 2015, 15:08
Took the email from Battle Arms Development to the LGS and explained that BAD said that the combo could not be used on a pistol.

Hopefully they can contact everyone they sold one to under that false info.

Dstrbdmedic167
30 June 2015, 15:36

So what did they say then?

GOST
30 June 2015, 15:42
They kept comparing it to the Sig arm brace and didn't understand why it wasn't considered a cap.

Thompson
30 June 2015, 16:14
They kept comparing it to the Sig arm brace and didn't understand why it wasn't considered a cap.
I guess they didn't want to have any of that. Truth hurts sometimes.

GOST
30 June 2015, 16:17
At least they said they were gonna brief their employees that it's a stock.

SINNER
30 June 2015, 17:01
I'm lost as to how someone can look at that and consider it a cap.

GOST
30 June 2015, 17:10
Maybe they thought it was a baseball cap.

SINNER
30 June 2015, 17:15
Flatbillers