PDA

View Full Version : RIP laptop

toolboxluis00200
30 June 2015, 08:53
Yep just went to turn on my laptop :mad: and it won't turn on the hard drive is dead lost like 10% of my photos and about 50% of my videos good thing I have an external hard drive 500gig most of my photos are back up on that drive so now I have to wait till next year before I can look for a new one :( so no photos will be posted for some time ......... Hey at list I still have my tablet to keep in contact whit you guys [BD]

Jerry R
30 June 2015, 08:56
Don't trash the laptop Louis. Files can be recovered. Find a local computer repair shop and ask if they can do that for you. It may just be the boot block is hosed. Happened to me, cost about $60 for a bench charge to recover all my files. Money well spent.

velocity2006
30 June 2015, 09:02
What happens when you turn it on that makes you think the drive is dead? Are you actually getting boot disk failure notice in the post message?

I don't have extreme recovery tools, but if the drive is still good I can get the info off of it. You could also try throwing the drive into a desktop or if anyone you know has a usb hard drive dock you could use that to see if the drive is still good.

I have a few tools that can rebuild damaged sectors, but nothing for major damage recovery.

toolboxluis00200
30 June 2015, 09:17
Don't trash the laptop Louis. Files can be recovered. Find a local computer repair shop and ask if they can do that for you. It may just be the boot block is hosed. Happened to me, cost about $60 for a bench charge to recover all my files. Money well spent.

My laptop was mostly use to see movies and to do my videos and photo . Plus this laptop monitor was not working wright I had it hook up to my 24 inch TV so I am not to worry about it. A lot of my important work its on my external HD

toolboxluis00200
30 June 2015, 09:20
What happens when you turn it on that makes you think the drive is dead? Are you actually getting boot disk failure notice in the post message?

I don't have extreme recovery tools, but if the drive is still good I can get the info off of it. You could also try throwing the drive into a desktop or if anyone you know has a usb hard drive dock you could use that to see if the drive is still good.

I have a few tools that can rebuild damaged sectors, but nothing for major damage recovery.

That hard drive won't even turn on the screen wontveven turn on just the fan not even the DVD drive will turn on

Slippers
30 June 2015, 09:43
If you don't get the bios splash screen then your hard drive probably isn't the culprit. If the screen never turns on, you're looking at power supply (unlikely since the fan is on), or video related.

Also, you can almost always pull the hard drive out of the laptop and hook it up to an external USB enclosure, and access the files from another computer. Find out what model hard drive your laptop came with and then you can look up the size and interface (IDE, SATA, etc.) and pick up a $10 enclosure on Amazon or Newegg, and save your stuff.

velocity2006
30 June 2015, 10:15
Agreed, your drive is likely good. The usb enclosure is also a good idea. If your laptop is not turning on at all it's probably a power issue (hopefully not your motherboard but possible if the fan is running), a new battery/ac adapter would be my first try.

Generally if your drive is bad your computer will still post (splash screen where it shows CPU type/Ram amount and detects the drives) but will display a boot loading error message. Your drive is still good and your docs are safe, just don't try to have someone fix your PC by formatting it.

Occasionally at work I get a freebie laptop that we retire out (last one went to Grandma). If I get one I will let you know. Usually an I3 with 4gb which is still plenty good enough to do pictures/movies on.

toolboxluis00200
30 June 2015, 10:54
Thanks guys for all the advice I will look in to it. Specialy the power supply part

toolboxluis00200
30 June 2015, 10:57
They sure don't make laptop like they use to I had one that lasted me close to 10 years before it was stolen I replace it with this one and it all ready fail after 5 years

toolboxluis00200
30 June 2015, 18:49
Ok my mother gave me her laptop. The funny thing is she got it like 6 years ago and she never used it ??? So it it still new !! But I did loss my copy of light room 2.6

GOST
30 June 2015, 19:01
Ok my mother gave me her laptop. The funny thing is she got it like 6 years ago and she never used it ??? So it it still new !! But I did loss my copy of light room 2.6

Good deal, the laptop I use for graphic design is almost 10 years old. I'm to cheap to buy a new one.

toolboxluis00200
30 June 2015, 19:11
When I buy electronic I buy mid range stuff to try to make it last for a long time

Eric
1 July 2015, 02:18
Isn't technology great. My work laptop (discontinued General Dynamics Itronix) died a few days ago and IT decided that I get a new one...eventually. Cops rely on those stupid things like you would not believe! I've been rocking it old school with a ballpoint pen and notebook. [BD]

Computalotapus
1 July 2015, 12:57
I go through laptops every 2 years. I should be coming up on renewal here soon if I can haggle the boss down I will see if I can grab this one I am using for you... its older probably 2.5 years old Lenovo T420 with 160Gb SSD, onboard NVidia card and 8Gb of ram. I will let you know

toolboxluis00200
1 July 2015, 16:40
Isn't technology great. My work laptop (discontinued General Dynamics Itronix) died a few days ago and IT decided that I get a new one...eventually. Cops rely on those stupid things like you would not believe! I've been rocking it old school with a ballpoint pen and notebook. [BD]

Holy cow you went old school lol

toolboxluis00200
1 July 2015, 16:41
I go through laptops every 2 years. I should be coming up on renewal here soon if I can haggle the boss down I will see if I can grab this one I am using for you... its older probably 2.5 years old Lenovo T420 with 160Gb SSD, onboard NVidia card and 8Gb of ram. I will let you know

Oh man if u can do that I will give my mom her lap top back she keeps giving me the stinky eye lol

WHSmithIV
1 July 2015, 21:20
Luis, did ANYTHING come on the screen when you turned it on?

Do NOT trash it. I do this for a living and I seldom fail with them. It may NOT be the drive at all. Even if there is, even that may be fixable. If worse comes to worse, send it to me. I've been a computer and telecom engineer for over 30 years. Just don't have many customers around here though and when I fix something it stays fixed for a long time.

Will