PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Shield vs...

Eric
3 July 2015, 02:39
Interesting videos.
Frog Lube vs Weapon Shield (https://youtu.be/IQLAE3MtTOI).
Slip 2000 EWL, Lucas Gun Oil, and Weapon Shield Comparisons (https://youtu.be/lcBu6q61G3M)
GunButter vs Weapon Shield (https://youtu.be/J6C7MCYXaH4)
Weapon Shield Wear Test - BreakFree and Hoppe's Elite (https://youtu.be/oXD34ToxHtg)
Weapon Shield vs FireClean (https://youtu.be/abBKYE8lP7o)
Lucas Extreme Duty Gun Oil and Weapon Shield (https://youtu.be/9XeaGC0y3I8)

I used to use Weapon Shield a few years ago and it worked great. In my trials of other products, I never got around to going back to it. Perhaps it's time to pick some more up. George Fennell, the guy behind WS, was the one who developed the original FP-10. He likely has forgot more about lubrication that I will ever know.

GOST
3 July 2015, 05:42
I've never used Weapon Shield but I'm a big fan of FP-10.

Uffdaphil
3 July 2015, 06:51
WS is my main clp. I like the thicker Slip EWL30 for some stuff as it doesn't run.*

Eric
3 July 2015, 16:55
I've never used Weapon Shield but I'm a big fan of FP-10. I've used FP-10 as well. MPC used to be the manufacturer for FP-10 and now it's Shooter's Choice, but as I understand it, the original formula George developed was not the same as the Shooter's choice version. I believe I recall George essentially saying Weapon Shield was an improvement on the original formula FP-10. For accuracy sake, I should see if George is willing to stop by and clarify.

toolboxluis00200
3 July 2015, 17:22
I use Luca oil

VIPER 237
4 July 2015, 08:37
FireClean or die!!!! WS is good stuff though.

Deadwing
5 July 2015, 02:06
I've been using Slip 2000 EWL for a long time, and it's always worked great. Looks like it might be time to pick up some Weapon Shield and give it a try. Impressive tests. I really dig how he lets the product speak for itself, and doesn't trash the competition.

Dave Timm
11 July 2015, 14:37
I haven't tried weapon shied, no doubt it's an impressive oil. I met with a chemist once and we were talking about the Falex machine and how it isn't the best way to always display lube qualities. It depends on the amount of lube applied, the duration it is allowed to heat before pressure etc. He then showed me this video where shampoo went up to 100 ft/lbs on the falex bearing test. He was in the auto industry for a oil company at a national drag race and also was a gun guy. When I asked him what oil he ran in his guns, he said his company's auto oil because it was free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5WXbj5jbN8

tappedandtagged
13 July 2015, 01:23
A ton of people LOVE Fireclean. I bought a bottle to see if it was really that grand. Well, I was semi impressed with it, but I was really impressed with Rand CLP. It kept the carbon from sticking and stays where you put it.

JGifford
22 July 2015, 05:09
A ton of people LOVE Fireclean. I bought a bottle to see if it was really that grand. Well, I was semi impressed with it, but I was really impressed with Rand CLP. It kept the carbon from sticking and stays where you put it.

I ran Rand head-to-head on my suppressed .22 pistol with FIREClean, and neither allowed carbon to "stick", really, but the FIREClean lubed pistol felt slick and smooth after I was done shooting while the Rand felt like I was racking it through sand. I am a big fan of Jon Miodonka (*sp), and have to say, I was frustrated by these results, but I used what worked. I now use FIRECLEAN.

That said, I have corresponded with George Fennel for years, ever since he invented Weaponshield, in fact. I have not yet really done a suppressed-fire test with his WS, though, as FC was working so well. That changes this morning. My DDM4 is spotless and lubed with WS, and ready to go here in a bit. We will see!

JGifford
22 July 2015, 05:17
I haven't tried weapon shied, no doubt it's an impressive oil. I met with a chemist once and we were talking about the Falex machine and how it isn't the best way to always display lube qualities. It depends on the amount of lube applied, the duration it is allowed to heat before pressure etc. He then showed me this video where shampoo went up to 100 ft/lbs on the falex bearing test. He was in the auto industry for a oil company at a national drag race and also was a gun guy. When I asked him what oil he ran in his guns, he said his company's auto oil because it was free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5WXbj5jbN8

George Fennel also created FP-10, and FP-10 has gone through legitimate lab testing, and performed VERY WELL in independent 3rd party lab tests, as well as the real world.

JGifford
22 July 2015, 05:18
I've used FP-10 as well. MPC used to be the manufacturer for FP-10 and now it's Shooter's Choice, but as I understand it, the original formula George developed was not the same as the Shooter's choice version. I believe I recall George essentially saying Weapon Shield was an improvement on the original formula FP-10. For accuracy sake, I should see if George is willing to stop by and clarify.

This is correct. I will ask him to pop over, as well!

Eric
22 July 2015, 05:25
George declined to participate. It sounds like he's had enough of the drama associated with online discussions, so he just does his YouTube videos.

Slippers
22 July 2015, 06:59
Not surprised. I think people make too big a deal out of certain things when it comes to firearms. Lube is one of them, especially when the majority of people shoot so little each year that it doesn't really matter what kind they use. :)

SINNER
22 July 2015, 07:14
I have yet to find anything that is clearly superior to Mobil 1. Considering that I purchase it by the drum I would imagine I spend about 50 cents a year on lube.

Computalotapus
22 July 2015, 07:22
I ran Rand head-to-head on my suppressed .22 pistol with FIREClean, and neither allowed carbon to "stick", really, but the FIREClean lubed pistol felt slick and smooth after I was done shooting while the Rand felt like I was racking it through sand. I am a big fan of Jon Miodonka (*sp), and have to say, I was frustrated by these results, but I used what worked. I now use FIRECLEAN.

That said, I have corresponded with George Fennel for years, ever since he invented Weaponshield, in fact. I have not yet really done a suppressed-fire test with his WS, though, as FC was working so well. That changes this morning. My DDM4 is spotless and lubed with WS, and ready to go here in a bit. We will see!

Not surprised. I think people make too big a deal out of certain things when it comes to firearms. Lube is one of them, especially when the majority of people shoot so little each year that it doesn't really matter what kind they use. :)

I have been using Rand CLP and just this past year I broke the 2500 round count on my NTD build and around the same round count on my M&P9 I have notice the same results as JGifford, the sandy gritty feel when I would go extended periods without cleaning and reapplying. And like Slippers mention before my round count wasn't high enough for me to really say what is good and what isn't. With the lower round count the Rand worked fine even going extended periods without cleaning and reapplying. I am still using Rand but just make it a point to clean it after every other range session. But currently I am dealing with time crunches as things are picking up for me and my family. I am in the position now to start looking for something different. I had thought about using frog lube but after reading some of the comments about it here on wevo I dropped that thought completely. I have heard nothing but positive things about FC and with videos above on WS I am split on my decision now. Maybe I will run FC in the rifle and WS in the pistol. Still undecided.

Slippers
22 July 2015, 08:05
I have yet to find anything that is clearly superior to Mobil 1. Considering that I purchase it by the drum I would imagine I spend about 50 cents a year on lube.

I use some royal purple from time-to-time, basically the same thing. Gotta love the cost/volume ratio on motor oil. :)

SINNER
22 July 2015, 09:24
RP is certainly some good lubricants. I run their ATF in my race transmissions.

JGifford
22 July 2015, 11:07
RP is certainly some good lubricants. I run their ATF in my race transmissions.

I blame RP on trashing my Trans Am's rear-end. All was fine except a bad wheel bearing at 75K miles, and we replaced it with another, as well as filling the diff with Royal Purple. A few thousand miles later, the pinion bearing actually spun in its housing, and the bearings were purple from heat. The diff was full of lube when drained. It wasn't leaking/running dry. Replaced with whatever the shop had on hand, and drove it another 65K miles no problem. Also, every UOA I have seen of Royal Purple shows massive amounts of shearing.

JGifford
22 July 2015, 11:34
I have been using Rand CLP and just this past year I broke the 2500 round count on my NTD build and around the same round count on my M&P9 I have notice the same results as JGifford, the sandy gritty feel when I would go extended periods without cleaning and reapplying. And like Slippers mention before my round count wasn't high enough for me to really say what is good and what isn't. With the lower round count the Rand worked fine even going extended periods without cleaning and reapplying. I am still using Rand but just make it a point to clean it after every other range session. But currently I am dealing with time crunches as things are picking up for me and my family. I am in the position now to start looking for something different. I had thought about using frog lube but after reading some of the comments about it here on wevo I dropped that thought completely. I have heard nothing but positive things about FC and with videos above on WS I am split on my decision now. Maybe I will run FC in the rifle and WS in the pistol. Still undecided.

I have used FC with great results for 2 years now almost. HOWEVER...I have also talked to people who say FC is nothing but Crisco (per spectroanalysis, which is a bit hard to argue with...), and others who say it has gummed up on them like Rand and Froglube have done for me. However, I have had BCG's set aside lubed with FireClean for the better part of a year that are just fine.

I shot some WS in my M4 today, and it DID feel a bit gritty to me after 1-150 rounds suppressed. That said, it did wipe up just the same as FC has done for me. I wonder if maybe using a bit less WS would work better. The thing about FC, is that it seems to evaporate off to JUST the right amount, while other products kindof require you to be smart and only use what you actually need.

Of note, the front half of the bolt was still wet with WS, after my range day this morning.

Also, un-related, I noted a 4 MOA shift zeroing my irons looking through my T2 vs. removing the T2.

Slippers
22 July 2015, 14:00
I blame RP on trashing my Trans Am's rear-end. All was fine except a bad wheel bearing at 75K miles, and we replaced it with another, as well as filling the diff with Royal Purple. A few thousand miles later, the pinion bearing actually spun in its housing, and the bearings were purple from heat. The diff was full of lube when drained. It wasn't leaking/running dry. Replaced with whatever the shop had on hand, and drove it another 65K miles no problem. Also, every UOA I have seen of Royal Purple shows massive amounts of shearing.

From what I've seen, RP does have a love/hate relationship among car owners. I wouldn't know though, I don't use it in any of our vehicles. My friend moved out of state and left a few bottles behind, so I use it as gun lube.

JGifford
22 July 2015, 19:19
From what I've seen, RP does have a love/hate relationship among car owners. I wouldn't know though, I don't use it in any of our vehicles. My friend moved out of state and left a few bottles behind, so I use it as gun lube.

I've observed the same love/hate with it.

JGifford
22 July 2015, 23:17
FireClean is just Crisco at an insane mark-up.