PDA

View Full Version : Brake or Flash Hider

Cwgibson
4 July 2015, 22:36
I have done a lot of reading and know the pros and cons of each but I wanted some personal opinions. I am putting together a 14.5 in build that will have a pinned muzzle device. I have a Noveske lower as well as a Noveske Mur upper so I will be purchasing a Noveske 14.5 Afghan barrel. Virtually all of the parts I have so far are Noveske marked, charging handle, end plate etc so I am looking at the Noveske marked trifecta mounts they have available. This will be a go to gun that will be run primarily unsuppressed, unless I decide to pick one up at a later time.

UWone77
5 July 2015, 08:02
If you've done some research, you'll still have to decide what's more important to you. Flash suppression or recoil mitigation.

GaSwamper
5 July 2015, 09:12
Combat, flash hider. All other brake it, if you're not trying to hide yur position I don't see much use except maybe night time hog hunting. Suppressor of course will solve the issue but many say the flash hiders give the can more of a ping sound due to the tuning fork action.

Dstrbdmedic167
5 July 2015, 09:32
I agree with UW. It really depends on what your personal preferences are. I prefer a good compensator. I try to stay away from a brake if I can help it.

toolboxluis00200
5 July 2015, 10:17
Try YouTube. Good source of info

GOST
5 July 2015, 10:17
Have you shot much with either on a 14.5"? Since it's gonna be pinned you may want to try both out first. It may not be Noveske marked but the PWS FCS556 is still the best brake/flash hider I've used if you're looking for a compromise. It's also long enough to be legal when pinned on a 14.5".

alamo5000
5 July 2015, 10:49
Since you asked for opinions... personally when I first started out I didn't know what I wanted. I more or less shot several guns with all different kinds of muzzle devices and started weeding things out.

Pure flash hiders are really not my thing. For one I don't shoot at night and don't need to conceal my position or whatever so it's really a moot point for me. As GASwamper mentioned there are a few that have a tuning fork action, which I don't like.

A brake is an alright choice but it's supposed to mainly be to reduce recoil. On a .223/5.56 I am not overly concerned with recoil. That said, if that's your personal preference, go for it.

I personally use a flash/comp. It's a compensator with a bit of flash hider mixed in. The one I personally run is from SLR Rifleworks.

http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=94&product_id=382

After trial and error, my personal preference leans much more towards compensators. I haven't done hard testing, but that said at present I value a compensator more. If I was shooting a different caliber it might be a different story.

I also think if there is even a remote chance that you will run suppressed that complicates things a lot. You pinning and welding that muzzle device on is a pretty permanent decision.

If you're like a lot of people here and have more than one gun and are pretty competent about building rifles or don't mind building a new upper or whatever then just get whatever meets your needs because odds are you will have more than one upper before it's all said and done.

Slippers
5 July 2015, 11:17
If you shoot around a lot of other people regularly, and want them to hate you, get a brake. :)

Txfilmmaker
5 July 2015, 14:20
So many people seem to run brakes/hybrids (Dragon, etc.) I was shooting video of a carbine class and it was pretty brutal. I don't know that one more brake makes a difference. I am about to build my first rifle so I can only comment from being at the class I was "filming."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mecha_Arms
5 July 2015, 15:24
If you shoot around a lot of other people regularly, and want them to hate you, get a brake. :)

This. Especially if you're going to shoot at an indoor range.

GaSwamper
5 July 2015, 15:42
Ha, being I'm a heterosexual, gun loving, southern white male that beleives in the words written in the Constitution and the Bible I figured pissing people off with my brakes was expected. I do like my Griffin flash comp though, but it stays inside my can mostly

alamo5000
5 July 2015, 15:48
Ha, being I'm a heterosexual, gun loving, southern white male that beleives in the words written in the Constitution and the Bible I figured pissing people off with my brakes was expected. I do like my Griffin flash comp though, but it stays inside my can mostly

Tell me a little bit more about the Griffin Comp... I am getting one of those hopefully pretty soon.

voodoo_man
5 July 2015, 15:59
If someone has a brake on their rifle they dont shoot near me.

GOST
5 July 2015, 16:04
If you're considering the Griffin you may also want check out the Precision Armament AFAB Mini. I've been running one for a while and my personal opinion it performs slightly better than the Griffin. The muzzle stability and recoil reduction are about equal between the two, but the AFAB does a better job as a flash hider. The machining on the AFAB is also the best I've seen.

http://pull01.rainier.netdna-cdn.com/media/product/724/precision-armament-afab-mini-compensator-a04-424-by-precision-armament-f79.jpg

http://www.rainierarms.com/precision-armament-afab-mini-compensator?___SID=U

alamo5000
5 July 2015, 16:08
If you're considering the Griffin you may also want check out the Precision Armament AFAB Mini. I've been running one for a while and my personal opinion it performs slightly better than the Griffin. The muzzle stability and recoil reduction are about equal between the two, but the AFAB does a better job as a flash hider. The machining on the AFAB is also the best I've seen.

http://www.rainierarms.com/precision-armament-afab-mini-compensator?___SID=U

The Griffin one comes with the suppressor :) They recently switched to a mini mount but I asked and they said I could get the original one instead.

Cwgibson
5 July 2015, 17:54
thanks for the feedback, I currently have a BCM 14.5 middy with their comp mod 1 and love the heck out of that weapon. My other rifle is a standard 6920 with a standard a2 on it so I have never really branched out into the different muzzle devices much. After doing some more reading today I came across Allen Enginering and their line of reflex suppressors which have me intrigued. The fact that it does not add as much to the end of the weapon as a qd can has me considering one of those with their md pinned. I'm not sure how advisable this is so I need to dig a little deeper as I am completely new to the NFA world. Thanks again for the opinions.

GOST
6 July 2015, 05:24
You want to do a little more research on pinning that muzzle device for a suppressor mount. Pinning the muzzle device voids some warranties on suppressors.

Kopis
6 July 2015, 08:53
Check out the VG Precision "Epsilon". I just put one on my gun. Makes it shoot like a 22LR and kills flash too. Great piece. if you plan to run a suppressor, there are several devices that allow the same manufacturer's suppressor to thread on over the brake/flash hider.

Uffdaphil
6 July 2015, 09:39
That AFAB mini looks choice, but with Griffin suppressor on the way I already have a spare M4SD.

If going suppressed be sure muzzle device is dual purpose. The Griffin M4SD Standard looks a lot like the taper mount version, but without the outside threads. Expensive error with a pinned device.

Txfilmmaker
6 July 2015, 19:30
Anyone know if Lantac is going to release their blast mitigation device.? BMD Not to sidetrack the thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk