PDA

View Full Version : Glock Question

Jerry R
6 July 2015, 11:08
I have shot some, sold some when I had an FFL, taught classes with Glock owners attending.

Now, my sons have dis-owned me and my 1911 best-bud won't speak to me --------- I bought a Glock. [BD]

A member of a local gun trader group posted an ad for a Gen-4 Glock 21.

Less than 50 rounds through the factory barrel.
Five 13 round magazines - four with Pearce +2 bases and one with a Vickers Tactical floor plate.
Trijicon Big Dot Straight-8 Night Sights
Enhanced Slide Release
Enhanced Take-down lever
Johnny Glock 3.5 pound competition trigger
New in the box, never installed, Lone Wolf Threaded Barrel
All factory parts included with factory box
$650

I set up a meet to look at the pistol - mostly for the threaded barrel capability. The Poseidon and Ti-Rant would work on it just fine. Anyway, the seller was a LEO in a neighboring PD, really nice guy. Internally and externally the Glock actually looked unfired NIB; so I believe his "less than 50 rounds" part of the ad.

Money and duplicate BOS changed hands and I brought it home.

20 pulls with a Lyman Digital Trigger pull gauge averaged 3 pounds 12.9 ounces. That confirmed the "competition" trigger installation; it is very crisp and clean, but lighter than the 1911's I carry.

So, I have a question for those that actually carry a Glock - either on duty or as a civilian with CWP:

Would you carry a Glock with a trigger that light, replace the trigger with another aftermarket trigger that has a heavier pull (which one), put the factory trigger back in, or just not carry it - range use only?

Also, please understand that I would never put a pistol into carry rotation without extensive range time for familiarization.

Only kidding about the boys and my friend - they understood when I mentioned the barrel.

Dstrbdmedic167
6 July 2015, 11:18
I put a 3.5lb connector in every Glock I own. To me it's still heavy enough to put a little thought into it but not heavy enough that I feel like it's never gonna go off when I pull.

Ohh and congrats on joining the dark side. You'll like it here we have cake and pastrami sandwiches. [BD]

Jerry R
6 July 2015, 11:38
pastrami sandwiches. [BD]

Thanks -------- lovin' me some pastrami sammiches !! :P

toolboxluis00200
6 July 2015, 11:42
Ones you go glock u never go back lol

UWone77
6 July 2015, 12:08
Ones you go glock u never go back lol

I feel the same way about auto correct.

toolboxluis00200
6 July 2015, 12:54
I feel the same way about auto correct.

Lol

Computalotapus
6 July 2015, 13:23
I really like the skimmer trigger in the Gen 4 that is the carry rotation. What I like most is that there is no more pre-travel and the reset is very crisp compared to the standard glock trigger. The big thing was getting used to the reset because it is different vs. the standard trigger. But the skimmer is pretty pricey compared to other triggers, it does however come with other internal parts that can be used to for maintenance later down the road since yours doesn't have that many rounds through it.

MoxyDave
6 July 2015, 14:03
I can shoot just fine with a stock Glock trigger, so I leave mine alone. While it's probably overstated, it doesn't make sense to me to add the additional potential liability of an aftermarket trigger. Save that for the fancy competition guns in your collection [:)]

Jerry R
6 July 2015, 14:05
Thanks Comp - I'll do a Google on the Skimmer.

Eric
6 July 2015, 16:45
I might be biased since I've carried a Glock for 25 years and gone though the armorer class a few times, but I leave my Glock triggers alone. Understandably, Glock factory instructors strongly discourage the use of any aftermarket triggers for liability and potential reliability issues. I like the trigger pull to be the same on my Glocks down the line; same on the duty Glock and same on the off-duty carry Glock.

Thompson
6 July 2015, 17:42
I really like the skimmer trigger in the Gen 4 that is the carry rotation. What I like most is that there is no more pre-travel and the reset is very crisp compared to the standard glock trigger. The big thing was getting used to the reset because it is different vs. the standard trigger. But the skimmer is pretty pricey compared to other triggers, it does however come with other internal parts that can be used to for maintenance later down the road since yours doesn't have that many rounds through it.
You're talking about the one by HSP correct? If that's the case, any gripes about it? It's pricey - but there are a few out there that are in the same ball park IIRC.

Computalotapus
6 July 2015, 18:08
You're talking about the one by HSP correct? If that's the case, any gripes about it? It's pricey - but there are a few out there that are in the same ball park IIRC.

Yep that is the one. I like it a lot, it kept all the aspects of the factory trigger I liked and fixed the things I didn't like. It is a duty/carry trigger, at 5.5lbs pull. Took all the slack out of the pre-travel, minimal creep to the wall, clean break and short precise reset. Combine the trigger and running the HSP drills I have seen a huge improvement in shooting times and groups.

Jayczar
6 July 2015, 18:50
You could get the NY1 trigger and see what it's like to work where I do! I've been curious about aftermarket triggers but only on a project/range Glock. My duty and off duty are factory triggers and I deal with them both.

Thompson
6 July 2015, 18:57
Yep that is the one. I like it a lot, it kept all the aspects of the factory trigger I liked and fixed the things I didn't like. It is a duty/carry trigger, at 5.5lbs pull. Took all the slack out of the pre-travel, minimal creep to the wall, clean break and short precise reset. Combine the trigger and running the HSP drills I have seen a huge improvement in shooting times and groups.
Good stuff. Figured the skimmer trigger was good to go. Finally glad to hear actual feedback about it. The HSP trigger is definitely an upgrade I'm looking at getting when I get my Glock.

MonkeyBomb
6 July 2015, 22:07
I carry several Glocks on a regular basis so I leave the triggers at the stock 5.5 ish. For my purposes that does the trick and all my triggers feel exactly the same.

Computalotapus
7 July 2015, 05:13
Thanks Comp - I'll do a Google on the Skimmer.

The thing about it is that the skimmer is all Glock OEM parts that have been tuned to be a cleaner trigger while maintaining the factory 5.5lbs pull.

Eric
7 July 2015, 06:04
The thing about it is that the skimmer is all Glock OEM parts that have been tuned to be a cleaner trigger while maintaining the factory 5.5lbs pull. $35 in Glock parts polished/reworked into a $160 trigger. Good business model at least.

Jerry R
7 July 2015, 06:43
$35 in Glock parts polished/reworked into a $160 trigger. Good business model at least.

LOL - Well said !

Computalotapus
7 July 2015, 06:44
$35 in Glock parts polished/reworked into a $160 trigger. Good business model at least.

You are right the parts are cheap. If I had the skill set I would probably attempt it myself. I know when I took my M&P in to get a trigger job to do essentially the same thing (remove the sloppy pre-travel, shorten the creep, crisp break, shorten the reset) I paid $90 bucks in labor and $40 in OEM replacement parts to the gunsmith at the LGS because I hosed it trying to do the job myself. Granted I had the trigger pull minimized to 3.5lbs pull on the M&P. The M&P was modified for my 2-Gun setup. So instead of me ruining another trigger I opted for the drop in skimmer and I am 110% happy with the purchase. I considered a Zev and the SAI but I couldn't justify the extra $100 for a name and a flat face trigger. I opted for the skimmer, didn't need anything fancy just wanted to clean up what I didn't like about the factory trigger and it delivered.

I probably paid maybe $40 more for the drop in solution versus having my LGS do the work. Its a 20 minute drive to my LGS and finding time to get there during the work week is almost impossible. Leaving my pistol at the LGS for a week to get the work done and then having to go pick it up. I figure my time traveling and waiting was worth at least that.

Don't get me wrong I am not saying it is the best trigger out there, I can only compare it to the factory trigger as I have not had time with any other replacement trigger on the market for the Gen 4 G19, and probably won't. There is nothing wrong with the factory trigger, but the skimmer did clean it up compared to the factory, it took about 2 days on the range to get used to it. If I pick up another Glock I will put the same trigger in it to keep it the same across the board.

tappedandtagged
8 July 2015, 23:32
I leave all mine stock. That way, when I shoot my duty gun, it's the same trigger as my personal guns.

The factory pull doesn't bother me at all, but then again, I know nothing else.

Mike
15 July 2015, 00:10
As I had a the upper hook of the trigger spring snap on me during training I replaced it with a NY1 trigger spring in my main carry weapon a while ago. Combined with a red/28N firing pin spring (that I have in all Glocks I own and that I take care of in the company) and a "-" connector it gives me an acceptable trigger pull weight with a crisper reset and a more defined pre-travel. So far I like it although others complain about a bit too heavy pull.
The secondary and tertiary carry guns will remain stock to be able to train with the standard trigger. The neccessary components to do the same swap on them are on standby, though.

mustangfreek
15 July 2015, 03:22
Im kinda interested in this thread..

Looking at trying a connector or something on my gen 4-17 it has a somewhatcrappy trigger compared to some other glocks i use to have