PDA

View Full Version : Centurion Arms MK12 MOD 1

gatordev
6 July 2015, 13:50
There was another thread years ago about one of these, but figured I'd do a separate thread regarding my continued supreme satisfaction with this upper. This thing continues to be a fantastic shooter.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/gatordev/Public%20pics/DSC_0316_zpstrg5fxa0.jpg

(Yes, I know it's not a correct stock or optic...or muzzle device)

I took this out yesterday and ran it through a local SPR competition which consisted of (arguably too much) close up work as well as out to 630 yards. To date I've run 555 trouble-free rounds through it. Not a ton, I know, but I try to keep it in the rotation and have run it through a couple of organized evolutions. This upper started life in San Diego almost 2 years ago where it was a replacement for the first upper I ordered from Monty. The first one had a bent gas tube and Monty's lovely wife was nice enough to meet me at the Coronado Safeway and swap out the upper in person. Top notch customer service.

At 200m and in, it's been fantastic, but before yesterday's competition, I've only shot it out to 600 (technically 800) yards once before and I wasn't totally certain about the dope I had for it. Turns out I think my concern was due to poor zero data for the ammo and can I was shooting and yesterday it shot fantastic. The other stages were 300m and in, but the last stage had three targets at 600m and consisted of one (supposedly) IPSC plate, one half IPSC plate, and one plate that was 12". There were several HITRON (http://www.uscg.mil/lantarea/hitron/)gunners shooting in my group and we had some pretty weird swirling winds going on over the course for the distance stage. From what one of the other gunners and I could tell, he and I were the only ones shooting .223 that got 3/3 hits on the course. I'd like to think I had something to do with that, but the gun was the main player, no doubt.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/gatordev/Public%20pics/DSC_0321_zpsa01phpro.jpg

While I shot the recent competition unsuppressed, it's had about 1/3 of the rounds through it shot suppressed and it's had no issues (H buffer and Spike's M16 BCG). I have noticed some decent POI shift when I hang the can on it, but I'm guessing that has to do with the longer barrel, compared to, say, a shorter barrel like a Noveske 16" or Colt SOCOM 14.5". But it's repeatable, so into the gun log it goes.

I know the KAC rails are now pretty rare, so not sure what, if anything, Monty will do with the MK12 upper he sells, but if you're in the market for this kind of upper and he has one available, I'd highly recommend it.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz322/gatordev/Public%20pics/DSC_0319_zpshhuzbrcx.jpg

mustangfreek
7 July 2015, 03:46
Looks good and sounds like a shooter..

Roll your own for it or factory stuff? 77's or?

gatordev
7 July 2015, 13:53
Factory 77s. I just don't have the time or space to get into reloading. I was running BH blue box .223 this weekend and it really likes those, though my supply is just about gone. It also shoots Southwest Ammo very well. I have a bunch of CBC 77gr but don't have enough rounds through it to truly compare. I have a feeling the CBC stuff is just slightly less precise than the Black Hills, but we're getting into an area where it could also be shooter error. For the price, though, it's a great option, I just need to run it out farther to make sure it's consistent like the Black Hills and SWA.

UWone77
7 July 2015, 16:23
My brother from another mother... gator that is just a sweet looking/shooting MK12. I'm partial to the PRI tube vs the Knights rail. One of these days I'm going to put one together with an A2 stock.

gatordev
7 July 2015, 18:09
Thanks! I think the PRI MOD 0 looks sharp, but since I tend to prefer quad rails and a collapsible stock for varied shooting positions, I just favor the MOD 1. Either way, they're a cool piece of modern history to go shoot.

toolboxluis00200
7 July 2015, 18:42
Wow looks amazing

alamo5000
7 July 2015, 19:08
Why do you say the stock is not correct? Also what is the twist rate in the barrel?

I know one thing for sure... shooting at longer ranges is certainly addictive! I tried it really for the first time a while back and I absolutely loved it.

Sounds like you were having a whole lot of fun.

mustangfreek
8 July 2015, 02:12
Factory 77s. I just don't have the time or space to get into reloading. I was running BH blue box .223 this weekend and it really likes those, though my supply is just about gone. It also shoots Southwest Ammo very well. I have a bunch of CBC 77gr but don't have enough rounds through it to truly compare. I have a feeling the CBC stuff is just slightly less precise than the Black Hills, but we're getting into an area where it could also be shooter error. For the price, though, it's a great option, I just need to run it out farther to make sure it's consistent like the Black Hills and SWA.

Right on, was just curious if you reloaded for it, and what it liked.

Really like that setup.. have always wanted a Mk12'ish clone..One of these days....

SINNER
8 July 2015, 04:27
I got my PRI Mk12 upper from Ron Allen for next to nothing right before the last madness. I think I paid him $600 for the complete upper and 100 rounds of Black Hills ammo. One of these days I will put the correct front sight gas block on it and order Ron's can and brake set up. By far the most accurate factory built upper I own.

I sure do like the Knight's quad rail. Mostly because I don't have that one.[BD]

gatordev
8 July 2015, 05:37
Why do you say the stock is not correct? Also what is the twist rate in the barrel?

I'm running an ACS for the stock. It has a little longer LOP than a SOPMOD and I find the SOPMOD to not be as stable when resting it on a hand or a rear bag, just due to the slope. I don't own an A1 stock, so no go there. The barrel has a 1:7 twist. I can't see any proof marks, but my understanding is that it's a correct Douglas barrel.

I sure do like the Knight's quad rail. Mostly because I don't have that one.[BD]

Thanks...I guess they're unicorns now, so I'm glad I got mine when I did.

UWone77
8 July 2015, 21:44
You could spend 2K+ on getting just the correct upper on a MK12 clone build. A few years ago when I was looking at MK12's more closely, I almost pulled the trigger on a MK12 Mod 0 upper from High Caliber Sales, but that was at the height of the market, so lead times were insane. High Caliber builds correct Mod 0 and Mod 1 uppers I believe, complete with 1:7 Douglas Barrels, Ops Collar, PRI/KAC Handguards, ect.

http://highcalibersales.com/

Personally, I think when I do finally pull the trigger on a MK12, I'll go with the BCM Mod 0.

gatordev
9 July 2015, 04:17
You could spend 2K+ on getting just the correct upper on a MK12 clone build. A few years ago when I was looking at MK12's more closely, I almost pulled the trigger on a MK12 Mod 0 upper from High Caliber Sales, but that was at the height of the market, so lead times were insane. High Caliber builds correct Mod 0 and Mod 1 uppers I believe, complete with 1:7 Douglas Barrels, Ops Collar, PRI/KAC Handguards, ect.

The HCS guns are supposed to be top notch...no doubt because the guys that build them also have a day job (or did) at Crane. I was looking at the HCS rifle and the CA one, and from all my research, the only differences were the etched mark on the receiver and the BCG but the price on the CA MK12 was a little lower. Deal was done. For now, I'm just sitting on the Ops Inc. collar. I hate to sell it, but I probably won't ever use it unless I stumbled across an amazing deal on the can.

SINNER
9 July 2015, 06:53
I think Ron's cans are fairly priced. Honestly I just hate the extended waits with buying supressors that are not in stock locally. I really do need to correctly fit out my MK12 while stuff is available.

SINNER
9 July 2015, 06:59

Personally, I think when I do finally pull the trigger on a MK12, I'll go with the BCM Mod 0.

With a little more leg work you can get the same thing from PRI for less at least the MK12 MOD0 version. Other than the brake, collar and bipod the PRI comes with the same components for almost $600 less.

gatordev
11 October 2016, 14:25
Didn't realize I never followed up on this thread...

As SINNER said, the time lag on non-local cans sucks, which is why I eventually bought the AEM5 can (pictured in the NFA thread) locally, thanks to a buddy's heads up. I swear, I don't normally take pictures of my groups, but since I had to rezero this rifle after putting the Ops brake/collar on it this weekend, I did shoot a group or two. Here's one. There's a little wiggle you can see, which I'm pretty damn sure is the shooter. But even so, I'll take it! (please ignore the text...my buddy took the picture and added the data for posterity)

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7513/30267237075_d485fc497e_b.jpg

UWone77
11 October 2016, 16:40
That upper deserves a Centurion Lower. [:D]

gatordev
11 October 2016, 17:17
That upper deserves a Centurion Lower. [:D]

I totally agree. I'll PM you my address so you can have one delivered to me.