PDA

View Full Version : Handguard Accessories-- What do you run?

alamo5000
6 July 2015, 18:01
Being relatively new to the AR-15 game I find myself seeing all the various accessories that people hang on their rails. Lasers, flashlights, foregrips, rail covers, hand guard covers, and a long list of stuff that I can't all remember.

I am finding myself to be a relatively minimalist kind of person but I want to hear what other people do so I can expand my horizons some. [BD] About the only thing I have on mine now is a small 1" piece of rail that I can attach my bipod to (I have a cheap bipod). I will probably upgrade my bipod at some point so I might get a different type of mount for the hand guard to attach to. Other than that I don't know if I would like to have a bunch of stuff hanging off of my rifle.

Other than that though what all do you guys run and more importantly why do you run what you run?

I am sure there are different types of guns that run different accessories so by all means share away. Not only what accessories you use but what kind of rifle are they on? (16", SBR, precision, etc)

Former11B
6 July 2015, 19:28
On the rail without integrated QD sockets, I have one of those and a hand stop set up, with a removable rail section for mounting a light if need be.

On another one, just a bipod.

On another one, Magpul AFG2 and light (HD rifle).

They're all about like that. One type of stabilizing accesory (bipod or grip), their functions being obvious, and sometimes a flashlight. No lasers/IR etc. Very simple to keep weight and clutter down

alamo5000
7 July 2015, 21:06
For my AR I haven't really found anything that I feel like I just can't live without. Of course I kind of enjoy using a bipod but aside from that I can't think of much I personally like to run. I am going to test out the AFG I got for Christmas (finally) and see if I like it. Even with that the jury is still out. One thing I would like though is night vision. I could always use some night vision!

I don't know. Maybe I am just weird but when I see all those accessories the first question that goes through my mind is 'what purpose does it serve?'. More often than not the accessories don't jive with how I shoot so I kind of bypass all that in hopes of simplicity.

I have thought though that if I build an SBR that might be a good candidate for a flashlight... I would think that if I was for some odd reason having to sweep a house or whatever that light might come in very handy.

MonkeyBomb
7 July 2015, 21:10
On my work rifles, all I have is a sling point and a light. Simple is the only way to go. I don't like much on the front of the rifle. Too much stuff to get hung up on other stuff. Especially with a heavy vest.

alamo5000
7 July 2015, 21:17
On my work rifles, all I have is a sling point and a light. Simple is the only way to go. I don't like much on the front of the rifle. Too much stuff to get hung up on other stuff. Especially with a heavy vest.

That's kind of the way I think too. Yet I see people with what I think are sometimes a bunch of frivolous stuff hanging on their rifle. And then when you pick it up it feels like a brick. Sometimes I wonder if they even think about having a purpose driven rifle.

While I am no expert I would think certain accessories would lend themselves better to certain rifle configurations more, and others to other configurations less. For example if I have an 18" prairie dog shooter, what in the world would a flashlight be doing on there?

I am just wondering how other people think about this stuff and how they deploy it on their own rifles.

Computalotapus
8 July 2015, 04:56
I use a Norah finger/hand stop. Its small but offers me a consistent spot to place my hand. Big enough to get a decent bite when I need to pull the rifle into the shoulder and substitutes as a barricade rest.

Jerry R
8 July 2015, 06:04
Light and VFG on all but the Sig 716. It has is an Atlas Bipod.

GOST
8 July 2015, 06:11
VFG is usually about it for me, I really like the one from Unity Tactical.

mustangfreek
9 July 2015, 01:43
VFG is usually about it for me, I really like the one from Unity Tactical.

I have wanted to try one of these for a while, they look good, i had one vfg years ago and it was just to tall for my liking, havent tried any since..But the unity one looks good for the money

Also i really like the Arisaka finger stops

voodoo_man
9 July 2015, 15:40
Arisaka defense for everything

Dstrbdmedic167
9 July 2015, 16:07

Seconded... The fingerstop is the tits...

alamo5000
9 July 2015, 17:23

I take that as a recommendation.

I am looking at their page and I sure could have used that optic leveler they have a while back. I also might get a VFG and try that out too. I am still up in the air about whether or not I want to run a light.

Tyrannosaur
9 July 2015, 17:45
I'm a huge fan of the Grip Stop, formerly by Lanco Tactical now by B5

MoxyDave
11 July 2015, 14:23
I run a light and a sling on everything I actually use, typically a Magpul MS3 and Surefire M300 or Inforce. I like a light with a single battery and momentary-only button.

I run a bipod on my precision gun but I wouldn't want to carry that around anywhere but the range. To coin a cycling term, I'm a weight weenie.

Slippers
11 July 2015, 14:45
I run a light and a sling on everything I actually use, typically a Magpul MS3 and Surefire M300 or Inforce. I like a light with a single battery and momentary-only button.

I run a bipod on my precision gun but I wouldn't want to carry that around anywhere but the range. To coin a cycling term, I'm a weight weenie.

I need to let you try one of our new momentary only tailcaps for scout lights. :)

Dstrbdmedic167
11 July 2015, 15:46
I need to let you try one of our new momentary only tailcaps for scout lights. :)

I like momentary only switches!

alamo5000
11 July 2015, 16:30

That sounds pretty cool.

Personally I can't say because I'm not all that versed in lights and tactics and all that stuff. As I learn more and get more into various aspects of shooting that definitely might be something to look into.

If I end up building an sbr I think I will outfit it with a good 1x optic (red dot or holographic sight) and probably a light.

toolboxluis00200
11 July 2015, 17:15
I use a magpul angle grip and I need to pick up a light