PDA

View Full Version : Griffin Armament Snach

alamo5000
18 July 2015, 20:28
I see that Griffin Armament has a new charging handle...called the SNACH.

http://www.griffinarmament.com/SNACH-charging-Handle-p/snach.htm

Supposedly this has a deeper lip on it, a gas groove, and a gas vent that is supposed to direct gas away from your face when shooting suppressed.

Since my suppressor is in jail still I can't really test it myself, but typically how bad is 'blowback' when shooting with a suppressor?

I am wondering if these charging handles are a must have or not and maybe get people's opinion who shoot suppressed a lot about this kind of product.

On the surface of it it sounds pretty good, but I am wondering if it's worth it to buy one in place of the Raptor I have now.

GOST
18 July 2015, 21:08
I would try your rifle suppressed first with the Raptor, then if you're experiencing to much gas give it a try. I wouldn't try to fix a problem that you may not have.

alamo5000
18 July 2015, 21:18
I would try your rifle suppressed first with the Raptor, then if you're experiencing to much gas give it a try. I wouldn't try to fix a problem that you may not have.

That's one thing I don't have yet... suppressor problems [:D] LOL

In all honestly though I was going to get the suppressor and try it first and see how it goes... but in the mean time I am just curious about this type of charging handle and if it does or doesn't make a difference. Or maybe if anyone knows or has a valid opinion about it...or anything similar...

toolboxluis00200
18 July 2015, 21:19
http://wfiles.brothersoft.com/s/snatch_61905-1920x1200.jpg[BD]

GOST
18 July 2015, 21:38
That's one of my all time favorite movies.

alamo5000
18 July 2015, 21:50
That's one of my all time favorite movies.

I have never seen it... I don't even know what its about...

GOST
18 July 2015, 21:55
It's about fixing boxing matches and a gypsy boxer you can't understand when he speaks. It's a very funny movie, directed by Guy Ritchie. I highly recommend that you watch it.

Uffdaphil
19 July 2015, 05:43
Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels are just fantastic. RocknRolla also fun.

I bought An Armageddon CH for it's supposed gas venting. Solid construction, but the gen 1 not recommended for 300BLK so may try the Griffin when my can is paroled. CHs are getting to be like muzzle devices: a plethora of tasty choices.

six8
19 July 2015, 07:07
I might need this!

UWone77
19 July 2015, 21:32
One observation I had from shooting suppressed with the Avalanche last week. It has zero gas mitigation. When BCM redesigned the Gunfighter slightly, Paul said he didn't make the groove to divert gasses, but it may help. Well I'm here to tell you that groove vs no groove in the avalanche makes a huge difference. The gap in the middle of the avalanche really killed it for shooting that particular upper.

So someone buy the Griffin and put up a short review.

Dstrbdmedic167
19 July 2015, 21:40
One observation I had from shooting suppressed with the Avalanche last week. It has zero gas mitigation. When BCM redesigned the Gunfighter slightly, Paul said he didn't make the groove to divert gasses, but it may help. Well I'm here to tell you that groove vs no groove in the avalanche makes a huge difference. The gap in the middle of the avalanche really killed it for shooting that particular upper.

So someone buy the Griffin and put up a short review.

Someone mentioned that to me when I was talking about the avalanche.. This confirms his thoughts and reason I'm using it in the Umbrella build..

GOST
20 July 2015, 04:39
Looks to be ported on the left, don't know how this will work for southpaws.

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11264590_989698121060414_3937262919934270117_n.jpg ?oh=69415950d28a4d291284b3f29da67735&oe=56520AB5

GaSwamper
20 July 2015, 08:47
Looks pretty good. I think I would the idea of grabbing a fist full of snatch.

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
27 July 2015, 07:32
We are going to try to shoot a video pretty quick here. Ill post that when avaliable.

JGifford
27 July 2015, 08:14
If the gas is ejected forward a bit, it should be fine for support side use. Otherwise, I dunno. I might choose "more all-over" gas than directed gas. Right in my FOV.

toolboxluis00200
27 July 2015, 08:51
Wish I had a suppressor love to try this out

JGifford
27 July 2015, 09:13
Looks pretty good. I think I would the idea of grabbing a fist full of snatch.

If you're using your fist, something is wrong. I prefer to use my index and middle finger.

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
27 July 2015, 12:30
If the gas is ejected forward a bit, it should be fine for support side use. Otherwise, I dunno. I might choose "more all-over" gas than directed gas. Right in my FOV.

The right side lever directs it forward. Even nose to charging handle the vent is an inch in front of your nose. Beats the carbon mostache I get when running std handles with cans.

alamo5000
27 July 2015, 17:25
The right side lever directs it forward. Even nose to charging handle the vent is an inch in front of your nose. Beats the carbon mostache I get when running std handles with cans.

I've already ordered one for when my suppressor gets out of jail but if you had to nail it down, about how much gas in the face is reduced by the SNACH? Of course it doesn't need to be some scientific formula, but what is it? Like 50% better than a standard charging handle? (of course that's all subjective but I would like to hear it anyway)

When I get the SNACH and a suppressor I will write a small review for WEVO.

GOST
27 July 2015, 20:23
I have to say it was clever naming this CH SN-ACH. Naming after something you can never get enough of was genius.

cjd3
27 July 2015, 21:56
I wonder how well it would work in conjunction with the FA gas vent.
Does it come in periwinkle blue?

JGifford
28 July 2015, 00:31

I honestly don't get this either with a BCM, or with my Badger G3.

What I DO! get is with some ammo, a stinging in my eyes if I shoot without eye-pro. Why would I do that? Because sometimes eye-pro is not handy and the situation dictates. Probably the WORST time to have something in your eyes, actually.

I am very interested in your video, as well as to know how those levers are fastened. Are those loc-tited bolts, or what, that I see? Smooth-shaft on the bolt, only the tip is threaded, screws into the handle, lever rides on the smooth part? That's what my brain has conjured, anyway...

ETA: Just ordered one. Why not? Let's see how it do!

Here is one video, anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs-dnbySkBk

GOST
28 July 2015, 02:57
I've already ordered one for when my suppressor gets out of jail but if you had to nail it down, about how much gas in the face is reduced by the SNACH? Of course it doesn't need to be some scientific formula, but what is it? Like 50% better than a standard charging handle? (of course that's all subjective but I would like to hear it anyway)

When I get the SNACH and a suppressor I will write a small review for WEVO.

I honestly don't get this either with a BCM, or with my Badger G3.

What I DO! get is with some ammo, a stinging in my eyes if I shoot without eye-pro. Why would I do that? Because sometimes eye-pro is not handy and the situation dictates. Probably the WORST time to have something in your eyes, actually.

I am very interested in your video, as well as to know how those levers are fastened. Are those loc-tited bolts, or what, that I see? Smooth-shaft on the bolt, only the tip is threaded, screws into the handle, lever rides on the smooth part? That's what my brain has conjured, anyway...

ETA: Just ordered one. Why not? Let's see how it do!

Here is one video, anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hs-dnbySkBk
Very cool, be looking forward to hearing what you two think.

JGifford
28 July 2015, 05:28
Very cool, be looking forward to hearing what you two think.

What's the smokiest, nastiest, gassiest ammo out there? I want to buy some...

Dstrbdmedic167
28 July 2015, 06:18
What's the smokiest, nastiest, gassiest ammo out there? I want to buy some...

I'd venture to say Tula. The few times I shot it suppressed it wasn't a pleasant experience.

GOST
28 July 2015, 08:27
While Tula is dirty it's pretty low pressure though, I wouldn't consider it the gassiest. When I shoot Tula my rifles feel like I'm using an adjustable gas block since there significantly less recoil than when I'm shooting M193 or M855. Winchester 5.56 may be an option, it's a lot gassier than Tula and in my rifles doesn't burn as clean as Federal.

JGifford
28 July 2015, 11:39
I have some 5.56 browntip. It's a touch dirty, and from a 16" barrel it's launching 70gr projectiles at 3,000+ fps. So it's got some beans.

titanse05
29 July 2015, 04:29
These things are on backorder with an ETA of three weeks. I ordered last Saturday and apparently the site was showing stock when they in fact had none. On top of my order getting duplicated twice and my card getting charged three times (which I believe was fixed yesterday).......my first experience ordering from Griffin Armament has been less than satisfying to say the least.

GOST
29 July 2015, 04:40
I have some 5.56 browntip. It's a touch dirty, and from a 16" barrel it's launching 70gr projectiles at 3,000+ fps. So it's got some beans.

I've never shot any browntip.

JGifford
29 July 2015, 05:02
These things are on backorder with an ETA of three weeks. I ordered last Saturday and apparently the site was showing stock when they in fact had none. On top of my order getting duplicated twice and my card getting charged three times (which I believe was fixed yesterday).......my first experience ordering from Griffin Armament has been less than satisfying to say the least.

That's what I was told, but I don't take "no" very well. I simply don't acknowledge "no" as a valid response to a situation.

JGifford
29 July 2015, 05:02
I've never shot any browntip.

It goes "pew" violently.

JGifford
31 July 2015, 07:55
So what do you guys want? Real-time video, slow motion video, just my "perception of how it seems"? If video, what angle do you want it shot from? Ejection port 90*, other side 90*, bottom looking up at the weapon so as to see which way the gas goes, or if lighting interferes, top looking down, what?

You tell me. CH will be here Saturday, and I'll be off work Tuesday morning to test it. I bought some M855, as that's always relatively dirty.

GOST
31 July 2015, 19:40
Looking forward to seeing your review. Wold like to see slow motion video of whatever angle you can get that best shows which way the gas goes. You should post it in the member's review section.

JGifford
1 August 2015, 18:14
Looking forward to seeing your review. Wold like to see slow motion video of whatever angle you can get that best shows which way the gas goes. You should post it in the member's review section.
I'll do it. I might do it this morning if I feel like it. I don't know. It depends on how work goes tonight and how tired I am.

alamo5000
1 August 2015, 18:34
A super slow mo video would be awesome. Do a standard CH and then compare to the SNACH.

JGifford
1 August 2015, 21:47
A super slow mo video would be awesome. Do a standard CH and then compare to the SNACH.

240 fps is the best I can do. Here is a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JvAlzr1leM

alamo5000
1 August 2015, 23:43
That should work. Try to get up closer with the camera so we can see where the smoke goes :)

GOST
2 August 2015, 01:50
Looks like that Warcomp is doing a good job in that video.

JGifford
2 August 2015, 02:33

It does exceptional.

JGifford
2 August 2015, 06:01
User Review Is Up

GOST
2 August 2015, 17:10

It does exceptional.

Your videos have me wanting a Warcomp now.

Naytwan
2 August 2015, 21:23

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Z6gG3tKDBlk/hqdefault.jpg

JGifford
2 August 2015, 21:26

It's so good I'd have one even if I didn't have suppressors to fit it. I was kindof shocked when I fired the rifle the first time bare nuzzle after using the warcomp in my demo. Did you see the night time shoot? Amazing.

Former11B
7 August 2015, 10:31
Couldn't pass up the deal for one...$60 from the guy who sold me my Recce 5. It'll be here next week. We'll see how she runs. This is my first "high speed" charging handle...been using MILSPEC ones with RTV silicone in conjunction with my suppressors for a few years now.

GOST
7 August 2015, 12:51
Let's us know how it compares to using RTV on a regular CH.

Former11B
12 August 2015, 15:30
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsx60u7xrf.jpg

Time to pop that SNACH's cherry

alamo5000
12 August 2015, 18:59
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsx60u7xrf.jpg

Time to pop that SNACH's cherry

NICE!! Mine is still on backorder.

After you get some time behind it I would like to hear your impressions.

titanse05
13 August 2015, 04:48
NICE!! Mine is still on backorder.

After you get some time behind it I would like to hear your impressions.You and me both. Sure does look nice in pictures though. :)

Former11B
13 August 2015, 07:56
Here are some comparison photos with the standard AR Charging Handle I've been using with RTV Silicone to block gas blowback.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/CHOverhead_zpsmaq0lqkh.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/CHtips_zpsbgk1lcav.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/CHtips2_zpsnwx55dzd.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsn4ycwnb1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/CHRifle_zpsxcl3s54m.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/CHRifle2_zpsbuouvu9u.jpg

On putting a light coat of Frog Lube on it and "installing" (if it can be called that) the SN-ACH, the latches offer plenty of real estate for singled handed (left or right) operation, wearing gloves, etc. Unused, it was noticeably smoother in the rifle than my factory CH that's seen quite a few rounds and should be worn in a little. It doesn't have the tendency to bind when drawing back with a single hand.

You can see the different geometries in the front of it where it meets the bolt carrier/gas tube...I'm sure the differences are purposeful, I just can't give any insight into that part of it other than showing the close ups so the changes over a milspec CH can be seen.

Hopefully I'll be able to shoot it soon...gonna try to go this weekend. I'll bring two rifles, because the 16" rifle it is currently in is equipped with a WAR adjustable upper receiver and already does a lot to cut down on return gas. I'll also throw it on a 10.5" suppressed with no adjustable gas system and give it a whirl.

Former11B
16 August 2015, 18:40
Was able to shoot a magazine through my SN-ACH equipped AR today. Although this test is probably only valid for those who use adjustable gas systems, as I was using a WAR receiver as well. Couldn't bring multiple rifles or a variation of ammo/powders to see if some were dirtier than others creating some blowback, but the handloads I was shooting were using Alliant Reloder 10x powder. The combination of the adjustable gas, the SN-ACH (no RTV mod performed like the previous CH), and the relatively clean ammo made for an immensely pleasant experience. I was wearing sunglasses due to full sun/midday but I wasn't inhaling any gasses or getting hit in the face with anything at all

It was time I started using a quality charging handle and I was truly surprised how much of a positive difference it made in the feel of an operation as simple as "pull back and let go". Between the SN-ACH and my
CMC flat trigger, dry fire practice will never be the same

Here is the test rifle in her full glory:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/DownSouthTAS/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsps3trxjc.jpg

GOST
16 August 2015, 19:03
Great post, would like to see a full review from you on the CMC and SN-ACH.

alamo5000
17 August 2015, 17:07
My SNACH arrived today. First impressions are that thing is very solid. The machine work is stellar. The finish is stellar. It feels great in my hand. When my silencer breaks out of jail I will be able to do a full on test to see for myself how it works. My initial impressions are that just based on the quality of it alone it is great.

GOST
17 August 2015, 18:01
My SNACH arrived today. It feels great in my hand.

[BD]

cjd3
17 August 2015, 22:35
Looks like I may have to add this to my SBR build.

Dstrbdmedic167
17 August 2015, 22:49
I'm picking one up as soon as I get paid. My 16" WLV is gassier than my twins combined [BD]. Loking Forward to seeing how much change there is...

Former11B
18 August 2015, 20:40
I'm picking one up as soon as I get paid. My 16" WLV is gassier than my twins combined [BD]. Loking Forward to seeing how much change there is...

If it expels A LOT, it may be overgassed...what kind of gas block are you using?

Dstrbdmedic167
18 August 2015, 20:46
If it expels A LOT, it may be overgassed...what kind of gas block are you using?

I'd have to double check cant remember off the top of my head. It is adjustable and its only when suppressed... forgot to add that but we are talking about a CH made for suppression [BD]

Former11B
19 August 2015, 06:38
I'd have to double check cant remember off the top of my head. It is adjustable and its only when suppressed... forgot to add that but we are talking about a CH made for suppression [BD]

Lol I know but if it is a rifle that is extremely overgassed, I can't attest one way or the other how much bleed off it can handle. Might be fine, I just don't have first hand info

I don't mean that to sound like a "It's gotta be better than nothing!" Sale pitch because that's not how I mean it. Reminds me of a guy on arfcom getting opinions on a really bad suppressor brand that was cheap and when all the results came in (it's loud, poor CS, it'll fail, etc), the prospective buyer said "well it's gotta be better than nothing!" which is a horrible reason for buying anything, IMO, especially something expensive

BoilerUp
13 October 2015, 21:55
Any updates from those that have been running SN-ACH? I'm considering getting one but would hate to overpay for SN-ACH that doesn't perform as expected...again.

alamo5000
13 October 2015, 22:20
Any updates from those that have been running SN-ACH? I'm considering getting one but would hate to overpay for SN-ACH that doesn't perform as expected...again.

I am picking up my silencer on monday. On Tuesday I can tell you for sure how the snach works with a suppressor. :)

I have had mine on my rifle for a while now and I can tell you that thing is built really well. I was using a Raptor before and the SNACH to me is even more solid than that. The Raptor is great too. I really like it and would recommend it to anyone. But the SNACH is built even better/beefier in my opinion.

I obviously haven't had the chance to see if it functions with a suppressor and all that but from a sheer quality standpoint you won't be left wanting anything more. If it sucked I would say so, but it doesn't. It's just been good and beefy and comfortable to use in my opinion.

I will know soon enough if it keeps gas out of my face. I will report back.

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
19 October 2015, 18:52

hahaha I love you. Im in the same boat as you. Overpaying for SNACH is terrible but you never remember until the next morning if you got a good deal or not.