PDA

View Full Version : Cant Decide what rail?

Dstrbdmedic167
19 July 2015, 20:39
So I'm looking at buying a rail for my Billet Umbrella build.. Can't decide on which way to go and budget is around $300. I plan to pick up a Ballistic Advantage barrel before too long unless one goes on sale.. Barrel will likely be 18" barrel but I've been eyeing the 17.7 Hanson too, which isn't much difference. SO choices i've been considering

1. Erathr3 14" M-LOK
2. Fortis 2 14" M-LOK
3. SLR Ulralight or light 15" M-LOK
4 SLR Ultralight or Light 16.5" M-LOK
5.Geissele 15" M-LOK MK4 (Only Slightly over Budget but doable)
Open to other suggestions as i'm curious if you were building this rifle what you'd choose and why?

GOST
19 July 2015, 21:03
Don't know if your CMT receiver is pre-drilled for the anti-rotational pin, if it is I would go with the MEGA Wedge Lock which isn't on your list. It may cost a little more but it's 7075 with a Ti barrel nut, and the lines would go great with your receivers.

Dstrbdmedic167
19 July 2015, 21:06
Don't know if your CMT receiver is pre-drilled for the anti-rotational pin, if it is I would go with the MEGA Wedge Lock which isn't on your list. It may cost a little more but it's 7075 with a Ti barrel nut, and the lines would go great with your receivers.

I knew you'd say either this or the hodge... It's possible but I'm not sure on compatibility.. UW can probablty confirm yay or neh...

alamo5000
19 July 2015, 21:08
I am a big fan of SLR... given there are others too that work great.

A couple things about SLR that I like is for one, the barrel nut. You don't have to time it and you don't need any special tools for installation or removal.

That said what kind of rifle are you going to be building? An 18" barrel sounds more like a long range shooter to me but I could be wrong about your intentions.

Also if you do choose SLR (or most other super slim rails) you will probably be compelled to use an SLR gas block too, not that that's a bad thing.

(Slim) SLR rails and SLR gas blocks will allow you to use whatever MLok accessories you want, pretty much anywhere on the rail... go with another gas block and you will potentially have a section that you can't use.

That's either a pro or a con depending on how you look at it. It's a pro in that SLR has made M Lok work with their slim rails. Other companies, not so much, or at least it's an unknown. You get the wrong gas block and you're SOL when it comes to using some MLok accessories with the wrong combinations.

UWone77
19 July 2015, 21:09
Strike Industries.... [:D]

Dstrbdmedic167
19 July 2015, 21:11
Strike Industries.... [:D]

You know, I honestly have thought about the New XL but not really sure as I feel as you do/have in the past. You know I'm not trying to cut corners on this build. Would you say it's "good enough" for this build. Not wanting to use just any rail...

Dstrbdmedic167
19 July 2015, 21:15
I am a big fan of SLR... given there are others too that work great.

A couple things about SLR that I like is for one, the barrel nut. You don't have to time it and you don't need any special tools for installation or removal.

That said what kind of rifle are you going to be building? An 18" barrel sounds more like a long range shooter to me but I could be wrong about your intentions.

Also if you do choose SLR (or most other super slim rails) you will probably be compelled to use an SLR gas block too, not that that's a bad thing.

(Slim) SLR rails and SLR gas blocks will allow you to use whatever MLok accessories you want, pretty much anywhere on the rail... go with another gas block and you will potentially have a section that you can't use.

That's either a pro or a con depending on how you look at it. It's a pro in that SLR has made M Lok work with their slim rails. Other companies, not so much, or at least it's an unknown. You get the wrong gas block and you're SOL when it comes to using some MLok accessories with the wrong combinations.

Just using a 18" barrel as I've already got a 16" and want to use a longer rail. I build for fun with some purpose. My guns are range toys but I like using quality parts none the less, hence why the rails listed are there.

I've got a M-LOK SLR now and have had no issues this far like you have had luckily. I plan to use just a plain Jane block as this won't be suppressed and don't see the need for adj otherwise since it won't be.

GOST
19 July 2015, 21:15
If your not interested in the Wedge Lock then I vote Geissele. Been running a MKIV for a while and it's been great. Ultra tight lock up and simple installation.

officerX
19 July 2015, 21:20
Am I out of line to suggest the BCM KMR? I love mine.

Dstrbdmedic167
19 July 2015, 21:24
Am I out of line to suggest the BCM KMR? I love mine.

Not at all.. I've thought that as I love using the one Slippers has but really want M-LOK....

officerX
19 July 2015, 21:25
Not at all.. I've thought that as I love using the one Slippers has but really want M-LOK....

10-4 I haven't tried it yet.

UWone77
19 July 2015, 21:27
Obviously there are tons of great handguards on the market. At this point, I'd just pick the one that meets your budget, weight, and attachment method preferences.

The Strike has an integrated front sight. So far... it's better than I thought. Has more material around the barrel nut, so it might not fit certain Billet Uppers though.

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af282/richdkim77/IMG_3506_zpsamaec2jn.jpg (http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/richdkim77/media/IMG_3506_zpsamaec2jn.jpg.html)

Dstrbdmedic167
19 July 2015, 21:32
I didn't know they did that. That is interesting for sure... And may put it in the contenders list... Have/can you try it against a CMT?

Mecha_Arms
20 July 2015, 06:49
I'd go with the Geissele. Great rails, and while they are expensive, you won't regret it.

They are very easy to get mounted, don't require timing, and come with a wrench to fit the barrel nut (at the high end of the price spectrum, there aren't enough manufacturers doing this). Lock up is very secure, and they look great., as well as feel great too.

You can't go wrong with it.

Slippers
20 July 2015, 07:10
That integrated front sight looks...thin and fragile. How is it in reality?

After owning quite a few high end non picatinny handguards for testing I'd say this:

Geissele is bomb proof and ultra rigid, but wider and heavier than most. Also expensive. Great barrel nut with lots of contact surface.

BCM KMR is pretty much the lightest. Barrel nut doesn't need timing. It's fairly slim. I bent one up during destructive testing. I wouldn't say it's weak, just weaker than a Geissele. The new BCM covers are fantastic.

NSR/Mule/Erathr3 are some of the slimmest rails. Slimmer than the KMR. The barrel nuts are long and have a lot of contact area making the rail feel rigid, but a real pain in the butt to install since they have to be timed.

SLR that I had was nice, but also sharp as a razor because they didn't chamfer a lot of 90 degree edges. Barrel nut doesn't need to be timed. Small ID so be careful with gas block choices, especially with mlok since you may not be able to put accessories right below it.

Centurion CMR is seriously one of the best feeling rails. Very tight ID as well, you basically have to use their gas block. Barrel nut doesn't need to be timed. Monty offers good inexpensive polymer accessories. Plus he's a badass. :)

MI are very light but I don't like their barrel nut. I have seen a ton of their nuts shear at the little exposed tabs, and I have seen the rails come off forward since nothing holds them on the nut except clamping tension and loctite (nut designs like Geissele/BCM/Centurion have a cross bolt that engages a notch in the nut).

If I was building a new 18" precision setup I'd probably go with a 15" KMR, but I get them at a good price. :)

Dstrbdmedic167
20 July 2015, 07:47
That's an awesome and detailed response. Really makes me consider the KMR as much as I want M-LOK.

alamo5000
20 July 2015, 08:08
Just remember James to play with their nuts before you make a final decision :)

Dstrbdmedic167
20 July 2015, 08:09
Just remember James to play with their nuts before you make a final decision :)

I'll just take your word for it....

UWone77
20 July 2015, 08:24
Haven't played with the front sight enough on the Strike Industries to have an opinion. I'll try to get it installed this month.

The only thing I don't like about the KMR is it's keymod, I think not only does keymod look like crap, but it's going to be a dead platform. I have one KMR on a BCM upper and it's crazy light, but probably won't be picking up anymore until there is an MLOK version.

titanse05
20 July 2015, 09:50
Haven't played with the front sight enough on the Strike Industries to have an opinion. I'll try to get it installed this month.

The only thing I don't like about the KMR is it's keymod, I think not only does keymod look like crap, but it's going to be a dead platform. I have one KMR on a BCM upper and it's crazy light, but probably won't be picking up anymore until there is an MLOK version.You couldn't be more right. Only reason it isn't pretty much dead already is the KMR.

RiverRat
20 July 2015, 10:20
not only does keymod look like crap, but it's going to be a dead platform......until there is an MLOK version.

I suspect it's going to be a long wait - BCM is probably married to Keymod as long as Eric Kincel is head of R&D.

Slippers
20 July 2015, 11:32
I don't have a horse in the keymod/m-lok race, but I personally like how it's easier to install keymod parts, plus it's nice that they don't protrude inside the rail very far. Not that it's really difficult to use m-lok, but it's more fiddly, and I'm definitely a technically inclined person, used to assembling things. Afterall, I put together every single one of our products.

I don't feel comfortable posting numbers, but I can say that BCM is completely tapped out on KMR production, selling every single one they can produce each month. They're looking to more than double it, and supposedly that may not be enough. There are still some other fairly large manufacturers on the keymod wagon, too, like Daniel Defense.

Magpul is a marketing and production behemoth, so only time will tell. I doubt one or the other will die out any time soon, though.

I understand the consumer mindset: you don't want to be stuck with something that has been end-of-lifed. When it comes to rail systems, the easiest way to feel safe and secure in your purchase is to stick with Picatinny. :)

GaSwamper
20 July 2015, 17:34
I just went with the 15'' KMR after a lot of debate and I was in about the same place you are right now, it basically came down between the SLR ultra and the KMR. I'm very happy with my choice but I still like the way keymod looks, I like the way M lock looks too but I already have some keymod stuff and it is really simple to use. I don't really use a whole lot on my rails other than a lite here and there though. Hell I still just clip an old TLR to the muzzle end of the top rail when I'm in a hurry. The KMR is an very nice piece of hardware, and the weight!

GOST
24 July 2015, 13:03
So I'm looking at buying a rail for my Billet Umbrella build.. Can't decide on which way to go and budget is around $300. I plan to pick up a Ballistic Advantage barrel before too long unless one goes on sale.. Barrel will likely be 18" barrel but I've been eyeing the 17.7 Hanson too, which isn't much difference. SO choices i've been considering

1. Erathr3 14" M-LOK
2. Fortis 2 14" M-LOK
3. SLR Ulralight or light 15" M-LOK
4 SLR Ultralight or Light 16.5" M-LOK
5.Geissele 15" M-LOK MK4 (Only Slightly over Budget but doable)
Open to other suggestions as i'm curious if you were building this rifle what you'd choose and why?

Blem Geissele 15" MK4 M-LOK on-sale for $187.50.

http://geissele.com/15-super-modular-rail-mk4-m-lok-ddc-blem.html

Aberration79
24 July 2015, 13:35
I think Keymod is going to be around for a very long time. Even if no one makes any more rails there will be accessories.