PDA

View Full Version : SBR Engraving

alamo5000
22 July 2015, 17:56
I keep on being tempted to build an SBR. My first question is kind of basic. Engraving. I know it has to be so big and so deep but where and how do you get it done and does it require you to re-finish your lower?

I am a HUGE fan of CMT Tactical and they will engrave for a small fee, but assume that I wanted to engrave something else, maybe a lower that I already have or something from a different manufacturer...

Generally what's the deal on getting it done?

Dstrbdmedic167
22 July 2015, 18:01
There are a plethora of places you can send your lower to have the engraving done. I'd bet to say there are some local places you could probably carry it and have it done while you're there. My class 3 dealer does engraving for $30 on anything you want. Don't over think it just find a reputable place and have it done..

alamo5000
22 July 2015, 18:05
If I decide to just engrave the one I have already I can just build another upper which would save me some money...but I would like to build a dedicated SBR so that I have more than one AR...but I keep on going back and forth about swapping uppers or just building a whole new rifle.

alamo5000
22 July 2015, 18:08
It still leaves the question though, if I engrave an existing lower are they going to have to re anodize it?

Slippers
22 July 2015, 18:14
No need to refinish. Just rub a little oil in it after you get it back.

I have used CADD Graphics in western NC for two lowers. Very pleased. Didn't have to disassemble them, fast turnaround, etc.

Dstrbdmedic167
22 July 2015, 18:15
Lowers are usually cheaper unless you go crazy. No they won't have to reanodize it, They should "colorfill" it and it'll be GTG... I'll post a pic in a min of the one I had done at my dealer that was filled after engraving.

alamo5000
22 July 2015, 18:29
I'm learning something new every day. Thanks guys!!! That really opens up more possibilities for me.

Yes, I would like to see pics if you have some. That would be great.

alamo5000
22 July 2015, 18:30
If the place isn't local though I didn't think they can ship a lower directly (back) to me without going back through my FFL... but maybe I am wrong...

Slippers
22 July 2015, 18:40
It can go right back to you. Colorfill isn't necessary but I wouldn't complain if they did (as long as it's black).

alamo5000
22 July 2015, 18:48
It can go right back to you. Colorfill isn't necessary but I wouldn't complain if they did (as long as it's black).

I'm a black on black on black kinda guy [:D]

That said I have seen some sharp looking ARs that have colors in them. (JerryR just built one that looks really good... that red on black is awesome).

I just have to decide if I want to go with another CMT built (I am leaning this way) or if I want to try out something different.

toolboxluis00200
22 July 2015, 18:57
https://i.imgflip.com/ok33q.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/ok33q)via Imgflip Meme Maker (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

Dstrbdmedic167
22 July 2015, 19:06
Cell phone close up of the engraving under the trigger area

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/43aeb33b558af4fafe3cb7dd29760a7e.jpg

Here is a farther away shot. You have to be looking for it to notice it.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/5f83e193e1de9d659396a6b450bc511e.jpg

alamo5000
22 July 2015, 19:19
If I do the SBR the same way I did my other AR I will be in it for almost $2000 bucks (all inclusive of the tax stamp) plus an optic. I have to decide if I want to go that route or do something else. If I SBR my current lower I can get what I like (on both levels) and be in it for the cost of a good upper (plus optic) and a tax stamp. I am figuring 7 to 800 bucks for the upper...plus the stamp and optic.

GOST
22 July 2015, 20:07
It still leaves the question though, if I engrave an existing lower are they going to have to re anodize it?

Alumna Black works well. A lot of people use Ident Marking, they are in Rockwall, TX. They do very high quality work. Also some trophy shops have laser engravers.

http://identmarking.com

UWone77
22 July 2015, 22:22
I have had CMT engrave my lowers. Excellent work.

SwissyJim
22 July 2015, 22:23
I've used Ident 2x now and could not be happier.

And, something I learned the HARD way? Get the engraving done BEFORE you submit paperwork for an SBR. Why? If it gets screwed up BEFORE the paperwork is in, you can use another lower and have it done right. AFTER the paperwork is in, you are locked to that lower. Can it get screwed up?

YES. YES YES YES it can. Case in point... me. I talked to our local 'NFA' gunshop, Wild West Guns. Yes, the idiots with the reality show. (I no longer use them for *ANYTHING*, partly due to the following, and more) I asked who they used, they had a local guy do it. ok, I figured since WWG sold stuff, had the NFA Class III (or whatever it's called) and dealt with AAC and Surefire, they must know what needed to be done and had someone do it right. So, I went to the local guy. BIG MISTAKE. They would do firearm stuff while you wait, so I hung out for a bit and the dude comes back and hands it to me. now, I already had the stamp and was good to go for my SBR. And when I looked at it. I think my dog could have done better. Seriously, it looked like a grade school kids project plaque that said 'Wolrds greatest Dadd' (misspellings intended). the font was wrong, it was HUGE, it was not deep enough, it was in the wrong spot, and it was done with a vibrating type etcher, not a laser.

Needless to say, I was PISSED. They guy noticed my mood right off, and was kinda like 'what? what's wrong?' And I pointed out everything, and he claimed that was all they did for everyone. I went round and round with him, and finally just left as there was no way they could fix what he had done. And if I stayed any longer, the cops would probably be called to investigate a murder.

I was able to fill it with JB weld (I researched it online for DAYS), sanded it smooth and did this for many layers. I got it so you could close your eyes and run your hand on it and not feel it. then I got it Cerakoted. Unfortunately, the texture of the JB Weld coverage and the actual forged metal were different enough that even with the Cerakoting you could see the botched job.

I finally got someone to make some permanent stickers that covered everything, and look kinda cool to boot (muted flag with punisher skull). Sorry for the long winded post, but 1) I'm in the rum and cokes and 2) if I can keep someone from having my typical horrible luck, I'll post pages worth.

Go with a recognized, reputable place, and do it before you submit any forms. Hell, I'm sending in 2 more to get engraved with no plans to SBR them... yet.

officerX
22 July 2015, 22:27
I sent mine to Orion.

DutyUse
23 July 2015, 00:59
I had mine done at ident at it turned out well

GOST
23 July 2015, 02:27
I have had CMT engrave my lowers. Excellent work.

I'm thinking about using them also.

Hmac
23 July 2015, 04:36
Orion Arms or Ident Marking do a great job. Turnaround is 2 weeks, but you're waiting for the stamp anyway. I've never worried about engraving before the stamp comes back. They will blacken the engraving after they're done. I wouldn't recommend trying to cut corners on the engraving...send it to someone who does it hundreds of times per day. I've always used Ident Marking even though Orion is only about 2 hours from here...Ident was a little cheaper for the engraving and the shipping. Both are FFL/SOT so you can ship to them and they can ship to you.

alamo5000
23 July 2015, 05:24
Wow. Thanks guys for all the replies. All that really helps. Thanks SwissyJim for sharing. That is definitely something to think about. I am thinking of just buying a CMT lower and having them do it from the get go, then I would be assured that it looks nice. I could do a different lower, but by the time I get it from wherever, send it off, pay shipping, pay the fee and all that jive it would be a PITA and there would be some kind of wait time... whereas I could just have CMT do it for $30 bucks and be done with it and get the lower that I like anyway... it seems like that's the best option for me.

Jerry R
23 July 2015, 08:43
Cell phone close up of the engraving under the trigger area

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/43aeb33b558af4fafe3cb7dd29760a7e.jpg

Here is a farther away shot. You have to be looking for it to notice it.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/5f83e193e1de9d659396a6b450bc511e.jpg

Is that the full title of the trust? Mine has "Revocable" and "Living" in the title along with my full name. Is a shortened version permitted?

Hmac
23 July 2015, 09:43
Lot's of variability as to correct wording of the engraving. Initially, years ago, it was fine to have your first initial and last name, with abbreviated state. Then one of the later "new" directors of either NFA Branch or of BATFE issued an "opinion" that abbreviations aren't permitted. The requirements are spelled out in the NFA, but there's enough vagueness to allow for varying opinions.

From a practical standpoint, the likelihood that an SBR owner would ever be approached by an ATF agent to inspect their rifle is extraordinarily low, and even if they did, the likelihood that they would either know about, or care about such a detail as engraving wording is equally low. That's the only way NFA Branch would ever know whether or not your rifle complies with the engraving requirement, and it's extraordinarily unlikely to ever happen.

Dstrbdmedic167
23 July 2015, 09:46
Is that the full title of the trust? Mine has "Revocable" and "Living" in the title along with my full name. Is a shortened version permitted?

That's the whole thing. And no abbreviated versions are not accepted by ATF standards.

Slippers
23 July 2015, 10:15
If your trust is named "Donald Duck Revocable Living Trust" then that's what you have to do for the engraving. However, there's no need to make the trust name that long. The trust document can clarify what type of trust it is, and it doesn't have to be your actual name. Something like "DD Trust" would work, although there's not even a reason to use your initials if you don't want to. Occasionally you see people name their trust "In God We Trust" etc.

Jerry R
23 July 2015, 10:57
Thanks Guys - but the trust is done with several items already stamped. I was just considering SBR-ing the new AR Pistol. I make inquire with Ident Marking to see if the trust name fits under the trigger guard in the appropriate font and size.

Edit: New Trust Completed. Thirteen character name --- time to talk with Ident !!