PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions, help please

Creeky73
14 January 2009, 18:27
I am sure you guys have heard these questions a thousand times and the answers are probably all over this forum somewhere, but there is so much info on this website that I feel like it would take me 3 hours to find it, so here I go...

First off, I own a Rock River Arms TASC model AR, that I have modified with pretty much all Magpul plastics and a Daniel Defense Omega Rail.

First question: The Omega Rail seems to be pretty solid and firm, and I have no doubt it will stay attached to the gun even after a serious drop, but is there the possibility of it twisting in place? In other words, is it firm enough to reliably mount an optic device on, and stay on zero, even after a drop? By the way, I ordered the Flat Dark Earth omega rail, and it came to me in sort of a...bronze color. Definitely does NOT match the magpul products spot on.

Next question: in case the Omega Rail does have the possibility of twisting some, I am considering mounting an optic on top of the carry handle, as my gun has the A2 style upper. I have read that a lot of the carry handle rails do not fit very solidly in the handles, and can move around some, causing your optics to lose zero. Could anyone recommend one that doesn't have this movement?

Question 3: If none of those solutions seem good, should I just upgrade to an A4 upper and be done with it? I am really not leaning towards this solution if I can help it, as that not only means paying a gunsmith to work on my gun, but also buying a rear sight, on top of obviously buying the upper. And I hear these parts are very scarce right now anyway.

Question 4: My gun has a chrome moly barrel that is NOT chrome lined. Should I be concerned? Concerned enough to upgrade to a different barrel? If so, should I go chrome lined or stainless steel? How stupid would a varmit barrel be on this particular gun?

Thanks for your time guys.

Ryo
14 January 2009, 20:25
The Omega Rail should be pretty solid and not move around, but I never have used one. My comment is based on what I know about DD equipment.

Why would you want a carrying handle with a optic on top? You really don't want your optics to be far from the barrel.

Why be concern about chrome moly barrel? What applications are you planning? Sharp shooting, full auto, tracer rounds, etc?

Creeky73
15 January 2009, 19:11
It is really just a personal defense/SHTF gun. I am not a cop, nor military. I won't be entering any competitions with this gun.

I have seen a lot of AR's that have optics mounted on the carry handle, so I didn't think that it was far enough from the barrel to cause an issue. I just want the optic mounted on whatever is going to be the most solid place to mount it. I would rather not get a gunsmith involved, so if I can get by without changing my upper, that would be great. Also, if my chrome moly barrel is fine, that is good enough for me. I did not know if its not being chrome-lined was an issue.

Ryo
15 January 2009, 20:24
no it's not a issue on the chrome lined. Chrome lined is just the barrel is plated to last longer. Accuracy is sometime effected by the plating since it's harder to make uniform plated. Meaning sometimes moly is more accurate than lined, but will wear out sooner. Just do a google on it. I'm not a expert on this.

I would get rid of the handle and just mount the optic on the flat top. That will be more stable. On a handle, you just add a extra item that can shift or move, hence your impact point changes. But this is up to you.