PDA

View Full Version : Moving: gun related questions

Ride4frnt
5 August 2015, 17:31
As some of you know I recently entered a contract to buy a house in WV. Coming from Maryland will be a breath of fresh air as far as gun rights are concerned. I have a few questions though.

Does anyone know where I can find info, aside from contacting a lawyer (I will if necessary), regarding bringing my guns to the state legally?

I know NFA items need a form 20. Does the form 1 for an sbr need changed? Is it just easy as calling coyote rifleworks to change the address on my trust?

Thank you guys for any info you can provide.

alamo5000
5 August 2015, 18:06
I am seriously floored by this question. Not because of you Ride, but it just makes me shake my head that anyone has to deal with that kind of thing.

You really have to get forms to bring guns in from another state? Are you serious?

I could see that being the case (possibly) with NFA items, but just pistols and all that?

That's just nuts.

Dstrbdmedic167
5 August 2015, 18:32
I am seriously floored by this question. Not because of you Ride, but it just makes me shake my head that anyone has to deal with that kind of thing.

You really have to get forms to bring guns in from another state? Are you serious?

I could see that being the case (possibly) with NFA items, but just pistols and all that?

That's just nuts.

You cannot transport your SBR or SBS across state line, even temporarily, without a 5320.20. Suppressors are not required but some people do as a good measure if they're filling out a .20 form anyway.

I don't know the laws there ride but I wouldn't think you'd have to do anything with your regular guns. The form 1 shouldn't change bc the weapon is already manufactured and that is where it was manufactured at. Just need to amend the trust with new address.

Here the only thing I have to do is notify the new Sheriff's office that I've moved into the area with my CCWP. after 90 days I can apply for a new one within that county.

Former11B
5 August 2015, 18:50
Couple questions: are the items in a trust or registered to you? If they're in a trust, does the trust hold water in WV? As in, is it legally recognized and does it need updating? I know little about trusts.

Secondly, based on my readings, I would only fill out the 5320.20 for items you HAVE to declare (like an SBR), and block 5 is where you indicate reason "permanent address change".

The ATF requests you apprise them of address changes (suppressors) but it's a formality, not a necessity. I have seen some suggest including cans on the 5320.20 in case you get pulled over en route and an approved ATF form may satisfy an LEO who is unfamiliar with NFA items/laws

Ride4frnt
5 August 2015, 19:33
Funny tidbit: I will be moving to within 10 minutes of the ATF HQ. Maybe they can help me out. I'm guessing they can't though, based on past communication...

Dstrbdmedic167
5 August 2015, 19:44
Funny tidbit: I will be moving to within 10 minutes of the ATF HQ. Maybe they can help me out. I'm guessing they can't though, based on past communication...

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFs0-GAGME_BtSQBWY5JzGhDWvjltalfjV7JQg0aJ1ZGjwhsWXNQ

Jerry R
6 August 2015, 10:48
I submitted a 5320 for the SBR and nothing for the cans. Got the signed approval back in a couple of weeks. No further communication from them. Although I must add, the burden always falls on the owner to do the right thing, not on the Agency to tell us what to do. All the "Stamps" have the old address. Now I'm curious about what will happen if a LEO questions it.

gatordev
6 August 2015, 13:15
I submitted a 5320 for the SBR and nothing for the cans. Got the signed approval back in a couple of weeks. No further communication from them. Although I must add, the burden always falls on the owner to do the right thing, not on the Agency to tell us what to do. All the "Stamps" have the old address. Now I'm curious about what will happen if a LEO questions it.

My first SBR was moved via a .20 to a different address, so I just carry the signed .20 form with my stamp. For the cans, the address shouldn't matter, since they can be moved across state lines w/out permission and FL is can-friendly. Obviously an uneducated LEO throws all that out the window, but I don't think any of this is really a concern in FL like it would be in more oppressive states (like CA), assuming you're smart with where you put them in your car.