PDA

View Full Version : Trigger question

WHSmithIV
6 August 2015, 21:03
My very good friend has a DPMS AR 10 that he bought new about 6 months ago. I have also fired it. The stock trigger really does pretty much suck. He has been looking at Timney triggers and they are a couple hundred bucks.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a trigger in around the $150 range with no more than a 4.5 lb. pull?

I have suggested a Geissele 2 stage trigger or a CMC trigger. I'll do the change out for him too for free. I think that if I can find him a trigger in the $100 range hie will be very happy with it. I have the ALG advanced combat trigger on my rifle which has a superb clean break, but it is a 6 lb. trigger. Richard wants a lighter pull. He's getting up there in age. So, I figure a trigger with around 3½ - 4½ lb. pull weight would fit him perfectly.

Any ideas?

Dstrbdmedic167
6 August 2015, 21:14
CMC and call it a day...

UWone77
6 August 2015, 21:32
CMC and call it day...

Papier mache and call it a day.

Dstrbdmedic167
6 August 2015, 21:33
Papier mache and call it a day.

Haha that might work too

WHSmithIV
6 August 2015, 21:49
CMC and call it a day...

That's kind of what I've been thinking too. CMC triggers are really nice plus they are drop in so installation is a breeze. I'll talk with Richard about this. CMC also has flat triggers at the same price so he can choose between a curved or flat trigger.

I fired 12 rounds through his stock DPMS Ar 10. The optic he has on it is really nice. That trigger sure does suck though. I certainly understand why he wants to change it. So, i will help him do so.

VIPER 237
6 August 2015, 21:55
CMC is good, another option is the KE Arms triggers, they are very similar to the Timney.

BoilerUp
6 August 2015, 22:09
Consider the Geissele G2S using the current 10% off promo at site sponsor RogTac http://www.rogtac.com/geissele-g2s-super-two-stage-trigger/

UWone77
6 August 2015, 22:14
Consider the Geissele G2S using the current 10% off promo at site sponsor RogTac http://www.rogtac.com/geissele-g2s-super-two-stage-trigger/

That's a good deal.

WHSmithIV
7 August 2015, 09:28

I'll mention it to him today when we head out for Rocky Canyon. I like 2 stage triggers but I don't know his thoughts on them.

Jerry R
7 August 2015, 11:13
I haven't tried the Geissele in one of mine, but I've shot GriffonSec's 6.8 SBR that has one. It was a very nice trigger. I have Timney and Wilson in most, but just put a HiperFire EDT in the latest pistol build. I used the 4.5lb spring and it is pretty much spot-on, very crisp and tactile reset. MSRP is only $89 direct with both 4.5 and 5.5 springs. Just thought I'd toss that into the mix.

MoxyDave
7 August 2015, 15:23
I just picked up a 3.5# unit from Velocity Triggers for a dedicated .22lr build. I haven't installed it yet but it seems well-made and has numerous positive reviews on the web. It looks just like a Timney, and the owner worked for Timney for many years ... they must have some kind of agreement because it looks almost identical.

The hammer and sear are coated in Robar NP3 which is super hard and slicker than chrome. For $150 if it performs half as well as it looks I will be satisfied.

Velocity Triggers (http://velocitytriggers.com/)

SINNER
7 August 2015, 16:39
I haven't tried the Geissele in one of mine, but I've shot GriffonSec's 6.8 SBR that has one. It was a very nice trigger. I have Timney and Wilson in most, but just put a HiperFire EDT in the latest pistol build. I used the 4.5lb spring and it is pretty much spot-on, very crisp and tactile reset. MSRP is only $89 direct with both 4.5 and 5.5 springs. Just thought I'd toss that into the mix.

The EDT is the biggest bargain in AR triggers going.

WHSmithIV
7 August 2015, 23:32
I'm going to check into that EDT Jerry. Thanks for the info. That should be just right for my friend's AR 10. He doesn't to spend as much as a Timney costs.