PDA

View Full Version : The Omega-Saker Dilemma

cjd3
8 August 2015, 23:36
So, I am looking at a multi use can. I originally was looking at the Saker 7.62 as an all around can for my 2 carbines, my future .300blk SBR, a .223 bolt gun, and quite possibly a .300 win mag when I upgrade from my .30-06. So that being said, I think the Omega will be the better all around can. It comes with a direct thread adapter for my bolt guns, and the ASR mount for my AR-15 rifles. Has anyone shot with both? Thanks for the input.

Slippers
9 August 2015, 03:52
If you plan on switching it around a lot, you'll probably want to use the ASR on your bolt gun, too.

Unfortunately I haven't shot an Omega, but I'm not exactly content with the Saker trifecta maad mount. It's not very consistent, getting stuck sometimes after just a few shots, or even shooting loose (never had it launch though). I use it 100% of the time, with fairly high round counts.

Kind of wish I had purchased it with the ASR maad instead. I may switch to it if I continue to have issues, but it's expensive and I would need 6 new muzzle devices as well.

Omega owners seem pretty happy, and the weight savings would be great.

titanse05
9 August 2015, 06:08
I was in the same boat as you two months ago. I have an Omega in jail.

tact
9 August 2015, 06:49
I'm happy with my Sakers. I have two of the 762 cans and a Specwar 556. I'm able to swap all three around to all of my rifles. I can also put a 5.56 end cap on the Saker to make it even quieter. The MAAD mounts aren't cheap but the modularity and the versatility was key for me. The Saker is rated to handle a bit more than the Omega if you want to go real short. I think they are both real good cans so I don't think you can make a wrong decision. Besides......the damn things are addicting so I doubt this will be your last. Good luck.

Slippers
9 August 2015, 08:09
Tact, just how tight do you ratchet it on? I find if I tighten with one hand until just snug, shoot a few times, I can actually rotate the can on the mount a little bit before the ratchet disengages. Don't know if that makes sense or not.

tact
9 August 2015, 09:28
Tact, just how tight do you ratchet it on? I find if I tighten with one hand until just snug, shoot a few times, I can actually rotate the can on the mount a little bit before the ratchet disengages. Don't know if that makes sense or not.

I think you might have a defective MAAD mount. I primarily use the ASR mounts on the Sakers because of my Specwar to move them around. However, I also use the direct thread on a bolt gun and the Trifecta on a 300 BO. I had similar problem with the Trifecta, whereas it would get loose after I ratcheted it down. It would take a lot of ratcheting as well. I had an extra Trifecta MAAD so I swapped it out. It locks up tighter than anything else I've fondled or used. It only took a few ratchets too. I have yet to send it back to SilencerCo and receive confirmation of the other being defective. I just haven't got around to it. Once you get a good Trifecta MAAD you'll love it over the ASRs.

cjd3
9 August 2015, 16:16
Thanks for the input and help. I think I am going more towards the Omega anyways. Since neither of them will fit under my preferred hand guard, the one hand on and off for the Saker mount isn't a selling point anymore.

UWone77
9 August 2015, 23:23
Thanks for the input and help. I think I am going more towards the Omega anyways. Since neither of them will fit under my preferred hand guard, the one hand on and off for the Saker mount isn't a selling point anymore.

Just get both. [BD]

Cotton68spc
10 August 2015, 18:24
I think you might have a defective MAAD mount. I primarily use the ASR mounts on the Sakers because of my Specwar to move them around. However, I also use the direct thread on a bolt gun and the Trifecta on a 300 BO. I had similar problem with the Trifecta, whereas it would get loose after I ratcheted it down. It would take a lot of ratcheting as well. I had an extra Trifecta MAAD so I swapped it out. It locks up tighter than anything else I've fondled or used. It only took a few ratchets too. I have yet to send it back to SilencerCo and receive confirmation of the other being defective. I just haven't got around to it. Once you get a good Trifecta MAAD you'll love it over the ASRs.

I will agree bad mount mine has never came loose I tighten till ratchet noise stops I have had it get stuck but only if I try to take it off while can is hot

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

Former11B
11 August 2015, 05:35
The Saker mount has always kind of off-put me. Seems a little TOO involved. Works well, but when it goes wrong..it goes REALLY wrong. I like the look/specs of the Omega without the anchor brake.

Recce 7? [BD]

Slippers
11 August 2015, 07:45
I'm waiting to hear back from Silencerco. We'll see what they suggest. If they do offer to replace the trifecta maad I'll have to send it in, as I can't get the darn thing apart.

UWone77
11 August 2015, 07:58
I'd like to get one more can this year. Probably going with an Omega myself, but I have 2 random Saker Mounts that I acquired and Roy from Weapon Outfitters is giving me a BE Meyers Saker Mount.

Maybe I'll just try to keep up with the rest of you guys and get that Griffin Recce 7.

tact
11 August 2015, 08:03
I'm waiting to hear back from Silencerco. We'll see what they suggest. If they do offer to replace the trifecta maad I'll have to send it in, as I can't get the darn thing apart.

I emailed them myself. That's odd that the MAAD won't thread off. Hope things work out. If I had an extra I'd send you one.

Slippers
11 August 2015, 08:31
I emailed them myself. That's odd that the MAAD won't thread off. Hope things work out. If I had an extra I'd send you one.

That was easy. They got back to me in less than an hour. New trifecta maad on the way. Jacob also told me to arrange the tools like garden sheers, and the maad came right off. For as technically inclined as I thought I was, that was definitely a "doh" moment. I'll blame it on the 3 hours of sleep I managed last night with the newborn. :)

UW, if I was purchasing today, I'd give the Omega a try. I almost bought one a few weeks ago to use on my rem 700, but reconsidered after thinking about what the wife might do to me.

tact
11 August 2015, 08:34
That was easy. They got back to me in less than an hour. New trifecta maad on the way. Jacob also told me to arrange the tools like garden sheers, and the maad came right off. For as technically inclined as I thought I was, that was definitely a "doh" moment. I'll blame it on the 3 hours of sleep I managed last night with the newborn. :)

Glad it worked out. I think you'll love it once you get the new one installed.

Cotton68spc
11 August 2015, 09:46
I'd like to get one more can this year. Probably going with an Omega myself, but I have 2 random Saker Mounts that I acquired and Roy from Weapon Outfitters is giving me a BE Meyers Saker Mount.

Maybe I'll just try to keep up with the rest of you guys and get that Griffin Recce 7.

Does that be Myers come in a 762 version?

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

Former11B
11 August 2015, 11:54

Do it. :)

Slippers
11 August 2015, 12:43
Does the recce 7 listed weight include the micro taper mount?

CarbonScoring
11 August 2015, 18:03
I bought an Omega as soon as they were legal in MN. It's by far the most popular can we've sold at our shop.

If you don't need the added durability of the Saker for really short barrels, I don't see any reason to get one over the Omega.

Slippers
19 August 2015, 07:50

Received a new trifecta maad from Silencerco yesterday. Swapped it out. The new one has a completely different feel for the ratcheting effect. Very pronounced. It also seems to tighten up with less rotation, if that makes sense. Hopefully this solves the problem, but I don't have much time for going to the range these days with the newborn.

Slippers
28 August 2015, 10:52
My son has kept me busy, but I finally got to use the new mount today. When I snug it up it feels solid, but after a single shot I can reach up and turn the can just a little bit back and forth. It doesn't rattle, but it will turn as much as the cutout for the keyed tab on the back end of the muzzle device allows. Snug it up (1 click), fire, and it's the same way again.

Also, POI shift with the new mount is basically the same on my rem 700 and 18" noveske, roughly 1" low with the suppressor on. My 11.5" is a completely different story. With the old mount it had almost no measurable shift. With the new mount the suppressor causes it to go 5" low and 5" left. No changes to the rifle at all. It also groups very well with/without the can. Weird on the shfit, though.

schambers
28 August 2015, 12:26
My son has kept me busy, but I finally got to use the new mount today. When I snug it up it feels solid, but after a single shot I can reach up and turn the can just a little bit back and forth. It doesn't rattle, but it will turn as much as the cutout for the keyed tab on the back end of the muzzle device allows. Snug it up (1 click), fire, and it's the same way again.

Weird to hear that you're still having a little wiggle. My Saker pretty much lives on my bolt gun and it ratchets on tight. Although its not like the gun sees firing strings and banging around like an AR. I also haven't cleaned the brake and let the carbon build up slightly. This may have filled in whatever gaps exist in the system and helped the seal.

For the OP: I agree with Carbon Scoring on the durability point. It looks like the big difference between the Omega and Saker is the length of barrel that Silencerco warranties. Performance between the two will probably be so close that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

tact
28 August 2015, 14:59

Also, POI shift with the new mount is basically the same on my rem 700 and 18" noveske, roughly 1" low with the suppressor on. My 11.5" is a completely different story. With the old mount it had almost no measurable shift. With the new mount the suppressor causes it to go 5" low and 5" left. No changes to the rifle at all. It also groups very well with/without the can. Weird on the shfit, though.

This is odd. I got the new mount a few weeks ago and mine is solid and have no issues.

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
29 August 2015, 15:55
Does the recce 7 listed weight include the micro taper mount?

The current recce 7 weight is 17.3oz. The minimalist brake weighs 1.8 or 1 oz in titanium.

Scubasigguy
8 October 2015, 22:14
I had the same problem with a MAAD mount. Silencerco CS told me to use a rubber mallet (to the side of the mount) to disengage the ring. They also sent me a new mount right away. The new mount works perfectly. Silencerco has some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with.

Farva
8 October 2015, 23:24
Not to derail the thread but has anyone had any hands on experience with the saker k?