View Full Version : Glock and MP

Cotton68spc
12 August 2015, 06:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0-fWiDhcLM&feature=youtu.be

https://youtu.be/X0-fWiDhcLM

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

Hmac
12 August 2015, 07:11
I took that advice years ago and for a couple of years had both a Glock 19 and an M&P 9L. I thought they both pretty much sucked. Sunk a fair amount of money to try to make them functional handguns, including trigger kits for both, new extractor system for the Glock, and ultimately a new custom barrel for the M&P. Bought a Walther PPQ and was converted to that far more advanced and far more functional trigger system, as well as the vastly superior ergonomics and build quality. I bought a second PPQ, then later bought a VP9. For me, absolutely NO reason to consider either of those lesser guns, and sold the Glock and the M&P. Took a beating on both, but was glad to be rid off them.

As you state, it's a personal preference thing, but IMHO, the answer to your question is "neither".

UWone77
12 August 2015, 07:52
I took that advice years ago and for a couple of years had both a Glock 19 and an M&P 9L. I thought they both pretty much sucked. Sunk a fair amount of money to try to make them functional handguns, including trigger kits for both, new extractor system for the Glock, and ultimately a new custom barrel for the M&P. Bought a Walther PPQ and was converted to that far more advanced and far more functional trigger system, as well as the vastly superior ergonomics and build quality. I bought a second PPQ, then later bought a VP9. For me, absolutely NO reason to consider either of those lesser guns, and sold the Glock and the M&P. Took a beating on both, but was glad to be rid off them.

As you state, it's a personal preference thing, but IMHO, the answer to your question is "neither".

Solid advice Hmac.

I remember buying a Glock 19 because everyone told me it was the best carry gun on the market. Never really cared for the 19 and did not carry it any significant amount of time.

There are a ton of reliable guns out there, but the ergo's are such a personal thing. Try out lots and lots of guns, then shoot a minimum of 500 rounds through it before you carry it.

SINNER
12 August 2015, 08:00
I honestly get sick of hearing how superior the Glocks are from people who own a single pistol. I'd take my HK's and FN's over any Glock I own even if they were double the cost.

UWone77
12 August 2015, 08:26
I honestly get sick of hearing how superior the Glocks are from people who own a single pistol. I'd take my HK's and FN's over any Glock I own even if they were double the cost.

LOL. There are several guys I know like this. "XXX" is the best pistol ever.... because it's the only gun I own.

Former11B
12 August 2015, 12:17

My friend's 9mm FN had a trigger failure at the range the other day. It would fire the first round then never reset. He spent the rest of the day shooting my suppressed G19 [BD]

I honestly don't care about brands. If it works well and you like it, can shoot it well, and can afford it......knock yourself out. Take Hi-Point for example. They get bashed all the time but are generally very reliable. Not my cup of tea, but that's as far as my opinion usually goes.

I guess I got lucky, because my 3rd Gen G19 that I carry daily has a smoother factory trigger than my neighbor's Glock with an aftermarket trigger. He shot it one day comparing them and told me never to mess with it for any reason.

Jerry R
12 August 2015, 12:36
Just a suggestion ... find a range with loaners. Find one that "indexes" well for you (feels really good in the hand). One the line, bring it up to your firing stance with both eyes closed. Open your eyes; how close are the sights to being "on". There a lot of things that make a handgun comfortable to an individual. If you are comfortable with it, you will shoot it well (with practice). Every manufacturer will have winners and losers. You just gotta try a few and find what you like.

I've got an old three screw Super Blackhawk that I shoot as well as any handgun I own. It's all about getting comfortable with the piece.

Cotton68spc
12 August 2015, 16:02
I haven't got to shoot or handle any of the walther hK or fn line yet want to though this video was kind of "stab" at all the buy this videos gear is one thing but when it comes to guns you need to put in your hands before lay down money

SINNER
13 August 2015, 07:48
My friend's 9mm FN had a trigger failure at the range the other day. It would fire the first round then never reset. He spent the rest of the day shooting my suppressed G19 [BD]

I honestly don't care about brands. If it works well and you like it, can shoot it well, and can afford it......knock yourself out. Take Hi-Point for example. They get bashed all the time but are generally very reliable. Not my cup of tea, but that's as far as my opinion usually goes.

I guess I got lucky, because my 3rd Gen G19 that I carry daily has a smoother factory trigger than my neighbor's Glock with an aftermarket trigger. He shot it one day comparing them and told me never to mess with it for any reason.

And I have a Glock 20 that the magazine would not stay inserted during recoil. 1 shot and the mag hits the dirt every time. Took almost 2 months to get it back. All manufacturers have issues and all models of weapons will experience failures.

SINNER
13 August 2015, 07:51
I haven't got to shoot or handle any of the walther hK or fn line yet want to though this video was kind of "stab" at all the buy this videos gear is one thing but when it comes to guns you need to put in your hands before lay down money

True with firearms and optics. Do I buy items without handling them, Yes of course but it's far from ideal. You also have to accept that you may purchase something that gets rave reviews and you experience nothing but dissapointment with it.

Uffdaphil
13 August 2015, 08:24
I settled on the G19 gen 3 after owning:
M&P45 full and compact - hated the muzzle blast and was not too accurate for me. Ergos so-so.
Kahr PM9 - hard to rack and not the easiest to get a draw grip. Sweet trigger
Walther PPS - all good except capacity

I hated the ergos and trigger of the Glock when they first came out but the Gen 3 19 suits me fine. And I shoot better than with the 17 which I can't figure why. My 19c is a little more accurate than the non-comp threaded 19 that will be my HD gun when the suppressor is on it.

Thought I was happy until I held a VP9. It felt like a bespoke suit, handmade just for my hand. When funds permit I will give it a try. I still occaisonally carry a govt 1911 as it's comfy and the one I shoot best. But I won't argue that it's the best defense option.

Former11B
13 August 2015, 09:19
And I have a Glock 20 that the magazine would not stay inserted during recoil. 1 shot and the mag hits the dirt every time. Took almost 2 months to get it back. All manufacturers have issues and all models of weapons will experience failures.

I agree entirely.

I settled on the G19 gen 3 after owning:
M&P45 full and compact - hated the muzzle blast and was not too accurate for me. Ergos so-so.
Kahr PM9 - hard to rack and not the easiest to get a draw grip. Sweet trigger
Walther PPS - all good except capacity

I hated the ergos and trigger of the Glock when they first came out but the Gen 3 19 suits me fine. And I shoot better than with the 17 which I can't figure why. My 19c is a little more accurate than the non-comp threaded 19 that will be my HD gun when the suppressor is on it.

Thought I was happy until I held a VP9. It felt like a bespoke suit, handmade just for my hand. When funds permit I will give it a try. I still occaisonally carry a govt 1911 as it's comfy and the one I shoot best. But I won't argue that it's the best defense option.

I put inexpensive Hogue slip on rubber grips on my Gen 3 G19s and I love the way it made the grip feel. Also easier to hold on to when wet.