PDA

View Full Version : Haven't been paying much attention.

WHSmithIV
13 August 2015, 21:24
My wife is in critical condition in ICU in a hospital 80 miles from our home. She was airlifted there by a Life Flight helicopter last Tuesday a little after noon from our local small hospital.

I won't be paying much attention to forums for a while. I drive there every day to stay with her then back in the evening to take care of the animals. Once I get her home, life will go back to something closer to normal.

Will

SwissyJim
13 August 2015, 21:50
wow, that sucks will. Good thoughts for you and her...

WHSmithIV
14 August 2015, 00:57
Yes it does suck Jim - she came within 3 or 4 hours of being dead from bleeding to death into her stomach.

She is still in critical condition with a 50/50 chance of living.

mustangfreek
14 August 2015, 01:54
Well that doesnt sound good. Hope everything turns out alright

Pyzik
14 August 2015, 04:44
Sorry to hear. Hope he has a speedy recovery. In our thoughts and prayers.

Slippers
14 August 2015, 05:42
Wow man. Our prayers are with you and her.

toolboxluis00200
14 August 2015, 07:36
Prayer send your way

Will@AR15Hunter
14 August 2015, 07:51
Your wife and family are in my prayers.

velocity2006
14 August 2015, 08:24
Sorry to hear. I am in a similar situation with my Grandmother at the moment. Positive thoughts your way.

Txfilmmaker
14 August 2015, 09:19
Just saw this. Definitely praying!

jymbeux
14 August 2015, 09:36
Dang that's no good, sending prayers your way.

alamo5000
14 August 2015, 17:51
Hope all goes well. Prayers for you and your family.

SINNER
14 August 2015, 18:52
Hope she is improving. Prayers for you both.

Cotton68spc
14 August 2015, 19:26
Prayers

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

WarEagle
20 August 2015, 07:55
Praying for you both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHSmithIV
20 August 2015, 19:59
They moved her out of the ICU yesterday. Her condition is fatal. There is no question of IF her liver will fail, only when. When it fails next time, she dies. There is nothing more that can be done other than what they have already done. I have spent the last few days preparing my mind for that. I will do everything I can to extend her life but, she could die within 6 months and I might be able to keep her alive for up to 5 years. Even 20 years is remotely possible but that would be beating a LOT of odds.

Realistically, maybe she can get 4-5 more years of quality life. But, nobody can really know for sure. 96% of the people with her liver MELD score die within 4 years. This is very hard because I lover her very much. I'm going to try for a 15 year mark though anyway. She will be 52 in November.

UWone77
20 August 2015, 20:03
I'm sorry maybe I missed it, but what condition is your wife suffering from?

Sorry to hear. Best wishes for long life.

Dstrbdmedic167
20 August 2015, 20:17
The Medic in me has me curious what the diagnosis is as well. Best of wishes....

WHSmithIV
22 August 2015, 22:43
She's on the mend guys. She was discharged from the ICU last Wednesday and moved to a general recovery room. She is doing well. They removed all the waste systems today and she can get out of the bed to go to the toilet by herself. She is still very weak though but, she is a fighter and she is working on that herself.

Dstrbdmedic - she has advanced liver cirrhosis. Her liver MELD score is 18. Getting her to cut drinking down to what would be a reasonable level I had managed to do, but it was too late - the damage was done long ago before I met and married her. Finland is a drinking culture. Now, she can never have a glass of wine or a beer ever again. It will kill her.

It's fine with me if I don't have a glass of wine or buy a beer. It has never been something I have ever been concerned about having or not having. I LIKE water. I drink probably 2 liters of water per day. The water from our well is very good too.

I will help my wife as I have done so far. The doctors and the hospital almost lost her too. She needed 8 units of blood. The artery in her esophagus had burst as well as blood vessels in her stomach due to back pressure from blood not getting into her liver.

I got the bill for her helicopter ride.. $33,000. The hospital bill is sure to be over 100 grand. We don't have medical insurance either since we only moved here from Finland just a few years ago and I've been working on building a business. I'm working on it. These good people who saved her life deserve to be paid. I have most of it sorted out I think.

You will maybe know what the MELD score of 18 means. It took me an entire night to figure out what I was going to do about that for my wife.

SwissyJim
23 August 2015, 12:29
Damn Will... sorry to hear all this. Here's hoping she has a number of good years left in her fight.

toolboxluis00200
23 August 2015, 13:36
Glad your wife is out of ICU. hopefully she can go home soon

Txfilmmaker
23 August 2015, 21:55
I'll be praying you get many more years and that her recovery astounds the doctors. Praying for both of you to be at peace and for her healing. So sorry. You guys are really going through it.

WHSmithIV
24 August 2015, 17:34
Brought her home from the hospital last night guys. Now we work on keeping her alive. The prescriptions cost us a bit over $200. Hope she won't continue to need all of them. I have to go down and file to put her on disability too.

Txfilmmaker
24 August 2015, 20:37
Praying for you. If she is permitted to do so, Kefir would give her body a lot of help. It has many benefits. You can make it yourself. I can't claim it's a cure all, but it's a super food. You can google it. My wife would be happy to give you the recipe, if you need it. God bless.

WHSmithIV
25 August 2015, 11:08
I'll check on what it is Txfilmmaker - thanks

Pyzik
25 August 2015, 11:42
Just catching up on this thread. Very sorry to hear. I pray you and your wife get to make many more memories and she is able to lead as healthy a life as possible for years.

My heart truly aches for you two.