PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Munitions brass program

Farva
22 August 2015, 09:12
Any one have any experience with Freedom Munitions Brass credit program? I have about 760+ pieces of brass laying around and I'm thinking of cashing them in with this program. Their website says market prices for brass currently is $1.80 per pound. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this good or bad.

Edit: just reread and its price per pound not piece.

alamo5000
22 August 2015, 09:51
I don't know about the brass program, but I know I've bought some of their ammo. Personally I wasn't overly impressed.

eldogg
22 August 2015, 11:08
how many lbs. will a flat rete box hold?

Farva
22 August 2015, 22:54
Some of the bigger flat rate boxes should hold quite a bit. The more I sit and think about it the more I think id be better off just reloading it.

alamo5000
23 August 2015, 08:22
What kind of brass is it? Mixed? Same head stamp? Military crimp? Any idea of the brand?

Farva
23 August 2015, 11:18
What kind of brass is it? Mixed? Same head stamp? Military crimp? Any idea of the brand?

All 556 lake city brass

alamo5000
23 August 2015, 12:04
All 556 lake city brass

You should be able to get at least a hundred bucks for it. Maybe more. If it's all the same company, and if it's all the same head stamp it's even better. I would buy it off of you but I just bought a couple thousand same head stamped unfired Lake City brass.

If you reload I would definitely say use it for that. Their trade it value will be about a $20-$25 credit (there are about 70 cases per pound)... when you could sell that brass for $75-$100.

Farva
23 August 2015, 12:06
You should be able to get at least a hundred bucks for it. Maybe more. If it's all the same company, and if it's all the same head stamp it's even better. I would buy it off of you but I just bought a couple thousand same head stamped unfired Lake City brass.

If you reload I would definitely say use it for that. Their trade it value will be about a $20-$25 credit (there are about 70 cases per pound)... when you could sell that brass for $75-$100.

Good info here. I was leaning on the reloading side of things the more and more I thought about it. My cousin has a few Dillion's I have access to so it won't be too much work.

alamo5000
23 August 2015, 12:14
Good info here. I was leaning on the reloading side of things the more and more I thought about it. My cousin has a few Dillion's I have access to so it won't be too much work.

Thanks! I would set that stuff aside if it was for me... you can make some pretty nice match grade ammo with that brass. Your plinking stuff you can use pretty much anything. Mixed brass or whatever.

If I ever start reloading anything other than match grade ammo, based on my tests you can churn out bucket loads of pretty good ammo with mixed brass. It just depends on how you shoot. If you're just blazing away I would use mixed brass for that because pinpoint accuracy doesn't really matter as much... but if you want match ammo using the same brass can make a big difference.

Even with my same head stamped, same run, brand new unfired brass the weight variations in cases are still there. If I really need to get down to brass tacks about it I will sort my brass by weight and reload in lots like that. But if you aren't trying to be super precise then just do your thing.

Like I said though, I just checked and 500 rounds of unfired new, same head stamped LC cases are about $110 bucks plus shipping, so about $125 to the door. So deduce from that what you will about prices.

Farva
23 August 2015, 12:16
Thanks! I would set that stuff aside if it was for me... you can make some pretty nice match grade ammo with that brass. Your plinking stuff you can use pretty much anything. Mixed brass or whatever.

If I ever start reloading anything other than match grade ammo, based on my tests you can churn out bucket loads of pretty good ammo with mixed brass. It just depends on how you shoot. If you're just blazing away I would use mixed brass for that because pinpoint accuracy doesn't really matter as much... but if you want match ammo using the same brass can make a big difference.

Even with my same head stamped, same run, brand new unfired brass the weight variations in cases are still there. If I really need to get down to brass tacks about it I will sort my brass by weight and reload in lots like that. But if you aren't trying to be super precise then just do your thing.

Like I said though, I just checked and 500 rounds of unfired new, same head stamped LC cases are about $110 bucks plus shipping, so about $125 to the door. So deduce from that what you will about prices.

Thank you sir! I noticed the pun in there to!

alamo5000
23 August 2015, 12:16
Also what kind of crimp does it have? Military crimped primer pockets go for less money.

Thompson
23 August 2015, 14:52
Also what kind of crimp does it have? Military crimped primer pockets go for less money.
Doesn't all LC brass come crimped?

SINNER
23 August 2015, 15:11
Their ammo is garbage and they are paying $.10 a pound over brass scrap prices.

alamo5000
23 August 2015, 15:35
Doesn't all LC brass come crimped?

Nope. I have about 3,000 cases that aren't crimped.

Thompson
23 August 2015, 18:22
Nope. I have about 3,000 cases that aren't crimped.
XM193?

SINNER
23 August 2015, 18:38
The only LC I have seen without crimps is the match grade and one batch of Federal boxed XM193 with LC head stamps.

alamo5000
23 August 2015, 19:08
XM193?

Nope. I just bought a bunch of brand new Lake City brass. That batch is all brand new, unfired regular old brass.

I have some random brass that I collected over time too and the LC brass in there...some of it has crimps.

All that said once you take the crimp off the primer pockets once it's fine. Just taking the time to do that extra step (if it needs it) does take time hence the crimp discount. But when I bought my brass new it had never been loaded or primed.

alamo5000
23 August 2015, 19:21
The only LC I have seen without crimps is the match grade and one batch of Federal boxed XM193 with LC head stamps.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/677/20643244720_4b0f6f6c9b.jpg

I bought a few thousand cases that are all exactly like that one... all the exact same head stamp.

SINNER
23 August 2015, 19:28
I was speaking about factory loaded ammunition. If it is brand new brass of course it's not crimped. It gets crimped during the primer installation.

alamo5000
23 August 2015, 19:38
I was speaking about factory loaded ammunition.

Yes. The factory loaded stuff usually had a crimp on it... That said I can't even start to tell you who uses what brass and which ones do or don't have crimps. It's not my area of expertise...

I was going to get some Lapua Match brass but they seem to think that stuff is gold plated or something. It's almost 3 times what I paid for my new Lake City brass. I'm sure eventually I will have some though. [BD]

I don't know technically why it is better but everyone swears by it.

SINNER
23 August 2015, 19:45
It's absolutely consistent case to case, lot to lot, and year to year. And it is made from the best quality raw brass. I have .338 LM brass that has 10-12 reloads and its primer pockets and flash holes look like most once fired brass.

alamo5000
23 August 2015, 19:56
It's absolutely consistent case to case, lot to lot, and year to year. And it is made from the best quality raw brass. I have .338 LM brass that has 10-12 reloads and its primer pockets and flash holes look like most once fired brass.

I just googled it and there are several threads from various places that speak highly of it.

For an AR though it might be a bit of overkill but then again I'm a perfectionist about some things.