PDA

View Full Version : Noveske 8.5 barrel with gas block

cjd3
24 August 2015, 18:10
I'm getting my spring shopping list in place and I'm trying to decide on my barrel options for my build. There is a nice Rainier arms 8.5" UltraMatch barrel that would go nicely with an adjustable SLR gas block, and there is the Noveske barrel that comes with a tuned gas block for subs, but not adjustable. Has anyone used either? Noveske block is pinned, and I'd get Rainier to pin the SLR.

Kopis
28 August 2015, 12:29
sounds like you have your mind made up.... Never heard anything bad about rainer.

SINNER
28 August 2015, 12:46
IMO a 8.5" barrel is too short for a reliable 5.56 weapon. The minimum I would ever consider would be a 10.5" barrel. 12.5" is the perfect blend between ballistic performance and overall length of the weapon.

BC98
28 August 2015, 12:53
IMO a 8.5" barrel is too short for a reliable 5.56 weapon. The minimum I would ever consider would be a 10.5" barrel. 12.5" is the perfect blend between ballistic performance and overall length of the weapon.

Unless the OP put this in the wrong forum (or I'm mistaken), I believe he's looking at a 300BLK barrel.

UWone77
28 August 2015, 12:57
Unless the OP put this in the wrong forum (or I'm mistaken), I believe he's looking at a 300BLK barrel.

That's what I took from it, as he also mentioned a gas block tuned for subsonics.

schambers
28 August 2015, 13:27
The 300blk round was designed to be able to run supersonic/unsuppressed, supersonic/suppressed, subsonic/suppressed, out of a 7" barrel (I think it was 7"...) with a pistol length gas systems. I don't think an adjustable gas system is necessary, unless you want to run some very custom loads.

That being said, the Noveske is a great barrel. Very accurate and pistol gas system will run reliably and its already pinned. The matched bolt is a nice touch as well. Just throw in an H buffer and white springco spring and you are g2g. Can't speak for the Rainier because I have never used one before but everyone here seems to like them.

FWIW, my Noveske 10.5" ran gemtech subs/unsuppressed with no problems.

tact
28 August 2015, 14:54
I don't use an adjustable GB and have not any issues with subs/supers suppressed/unsuppressed .....9" barrel.

UWone77
28 August 2015, 14:56
I don't run adjustable gas blocks other than a few switchblocks.

cjd3
28 August 2015, 19:37
Thanks for the help guys.

Kopis
31 August 2015, 05:56

I don't know why this myth persists. I guess it's from the old days with the first short barrels or something. Newer units use different gas port diameters and muzzle devices to help with backpressure. Now the 5.56 round will still not reach ideal velocities for penetration of hard targets but it's a great PDW and fun gun. I have a noveske 7.5" that has run in excess of 1000 rounds, many of which were mag dumps with high speed triggers. Never had an issue.

Short barreled AR pistols and AKs are so much fun, don't let anyone talk you out of them! Besides, in the 300 blackout, they perform even better.

UWone77
2 September 2015, 06:11
I don't know why this myth persists. I guess it's from the old days with the first short barrels or something. Newer units use different gas port diameters and muzzle devices to help with backpressure. Now the 5.56 round will still not reach ideal velocities for penetration of hard targets but it's a great PDW and fun gun. I have a noveske 7.5" that has run in excess of 1000 rounds, many of which were mag dumps with high speed triggers. Never had an issue.

Short barreled AR pistols and AKs are so much fun, don't let anyone talk you out of them! Besides, in the 300 blackout, they perform even better.

It's not really a myth, I mean you basically used the best 7.5 barrel on the market. Compare that to some $75 unknown spec barrels out there, you can see why some people have had problems. I've run 7.5's and still have 2 7.5 uppers. They haven't all run correctly without a little tweaking. Other than my 7.5's being really loud, the one with the KX3 runs anything I throw at it. That being said, the shortest I would go for a 5.56 AR is 10.3 - 10.5"

Your mileage as always, will vary.