PDA

View Full Version : MAG Tactical Lower?

cagekicker204
26 August 2015, 11:16
I came across a Mag Tactical lower for sale at a local Rural King store that just opened up when i was looking for a cheap 10/22 to replace my old Marlin for rodent control as it angers my neighbors when i touch off a 7.62x39 or 5.56 unsuppressed. I purchased the thing for $52 bucks and it came with some long trigger pins. I researched it and found one that exploded, some other decent reviews seems like a pretty normal lower. My question is anyone here running one or have had experience building one up? I was planning on just scrounging parts from different forums and building it up with a 2.5x8 or 3x9 scope my shooting area is limited to 500 yards here in western PA . Can anyone tell me if the MAG Tactical trigger pins are compatible with a CMC trigger? I like my Geissele in my SBR but i know the pins on the G2S hold the little spring clip in and don't know if that will work becausse the MAG lower needs to use the supplied pins because of the area around the pin holes is raised up and regular mil spec pins are too short.

I want to thank you guys too for the help with my SBR build this sight is a wealth of information and I have asked a couple really stupid questions directly to UWone77 by PM and he replied each time and wasn't condescending like I have experienced elsewhere.

So should i build a Budget Recce rifle with it or sell it off?

UWone77
26 August 2015, 12:32
I'd think about what I wanted to build first... the SPR, SBR, or rimfire.

SINNER
26 August 2015, 12:43
I can find you a photo of just about every gun made exploded online. Build what you want with that lower. I know of one on a .50 Beowulf build that has performed just fine.

cagekicker204
26 August 2015, 20:14
I am pretty much set on building a SPR type carbine, actually ordered an Aero Precision reciever set from my local ffl the day before I bought this and was looking hard at either a Rainier Rock Creek 16 inch barreI or the Compass lake 16 inch tossed around the idea of building one on this instead. I was mostly concerned over the trigger pins with a match type trigger. I can engrave the Aero set for a 12.5. If this thing would only match up with say a Milspec trigger I'd make it a 22 or something not precision oriented. I shot a Recce rifle last weekend with my buddy and I like it but didn't care for the price tag of his upper it stings less a piece at a time. I do know I want a 12.5 but I have the funds to do both if I stretch by buying take off stocks and rails on sale ect.

UWone77
27 August 2015, 08:18
I would just go ahead and build the existing lower into a SPR. For the SBR, I'd use something you'll be happy with the rest of your life.

If you don't end up liking the MAG tactical lower on the SPR, you can always swap it out later.

Ride4frnt
27 August 2015, 10:59
What he said or you'll end up with a Anderson sbr.

UWone77
27 August 2015, 11:19
What he said or you'll end up with a Anderson sbr.

LOL... well played Ride.

cagekicker204
27 August 2015, 11:58
I would just go ahead and build the existing lower into a SPR. For the SBR, I'd use something you'll be happy with the rest of your life.

If you don't end up liking the MAG tactical lower on the SPR, you can always swap it out later.

Probably a good way to go thanks I have one noveske lower I'm anxious to see the Aero in person I think it would be a good sbr candidate.

UWone77
27 August 2015, 12:28
Besides, in your description, you said "budget RECCE." So in the spirit of the budget, use what you already have. [:D]

GaSwamper
27 August 2015, 17:49
Not sure about etching the MAG lower for SBR purpose. Its heavy on the magnesium side, not real sure but I think the Manu suggested if one ever had surface damage or gouges to return for special coating. Light ass lower though.

cagekicker204
27 August 2015, 23:56
It is very light! I tried it with a milspec lower parts kit I had laying around and the tolerances seem very tight, I believe the finish is cerakote or something similar with the pivot pin in and the takedown pin slid in it seemed to mate up to my Vltor upper nice and the Aero Precision, not any play at all. Now I just need to order a barrel. It's going to be a slow build I'll try and have the Mrs take some decent pictures as I go.

SINNER
28 August 2015, 04:23
Not sure about etching the MAG lower for SBR purpose. Its heavy on the magnesium side, not real sure but I think the Manu suggested if one ever had surface damage or gouges to return for special coating. Light ass lower though.

No special coatings. You can buy them uncoated directly from the manufacturer.