PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart to stop selling AR-15, other semi-automatic rifles

MoxyDave
26 August 2015, 12:47
Well it looks like the rumors are actually true this time:

Wal-Mart to stop selling AR-15, other semi-automatic rifles (http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/26/us-wal-mart-stores-rifles-idUSKCN0QV26520150826)

They claim that sales are slow on these types of guns. That may be true, as there are a million and one people selling rifles nowadays, but I suspect they are probably just trying to get out of the gun business. What do you think?

UWone77
26 August 2015, 12:48
Probably a bit of both. AR's don't sell as well as they used to, and given the pressure to stop selling them, it probably made their decision easy.

Hmac
26 August 2015, 13:02
Selling firearms is bad for business for a retail department store., especially "assault rifles". I've always been amazed that they ever sold them at all. I'd say this move is overdue.

gatordev
26 August 2015, 13:19
I had heard about this last weekend and made a trip to the redneck-ist Walmart in my area, figuring they'd have the most stock of 6920s. No joy, or at least, none were on display. The old codger behind the counter was having issues running a credit card of one of the 3 customers waiting, so I decided to move on.

Word was, at least at one of the stores in town, insane deals on DPMS and Colt guns were to be had. Probably not a bad thing I missed it. More money for that ACOG I'll probably inevitably buy.

UWone77
26 August 2015, 13:35
Word was, at least at one of the stores in town, insane deals on DPMS and Colt guns were to be had. Probably not a bad thing I missed it. More money for that ACOG I'll probably inevitably buy.

TA-31RCO?

GOST
26 August 2015, 14:00
I've seen some deals people have posted on other sites. I haven't had a chance to go by there yet.

toolboxluis00200
26 August 2015, 14:30
I think WEVO clarified section has more AR THAN WAL MART lol [BD]

alamo5000
26 August 2015, 15:10
Probably a bit of both. AR's don't sell as well as they used to, and given the pressure to stop selling them, it probably made their decision easy.

I would agree with this. That said I don't step foot in wal mart unless I absolutely have to.

gatordev
26 August 2015, 15:31
TA-31RCO?

TA-31H-G. I've shouldered it and it was surprisingly easy and better than some other options <cough> ELCAN <cough>. What I need to figure out is if a Macedon riser is needed. I'm guessing it won't hurt.

UWone77
26 August 2015, 15:43
TA-31H-G. I've shouldered it and it was surprisingly easy and better than some other options <cough> ELCAN <cough>. What I need to figure out is if a Macedon riser is needed. I'm guessing it won't hurt.

Interested to see how it goes when you get it. I've been thinking about trying an ACOG again.

Thompson
26 August 2015, 18:11
I thought Walmart vowed to stop selling ARs after Sandy Hook. Did that fall through? I've never seen any ARs at the Wally worlds in my area.

alamo5000
26 August 2015, 18:21
I thought Walmart vowed to stop selling ARs after Sandy Hook. Did that fall through? I've never seen any ARs at the Wally worlds in my area.

I am in the middle of gun country and they might have 1 or 2 at best.

SINNER
26 August 2015, 18:49
I never shop at Walmart and its good they stop anyway. Drive more customers to the LGS. Instead of them coming in and bitching about cost of items and buying 20 rounds of Prvi.

Farva
27 August 2015, 01:53
Cant say I ever go to Wal-Mart for anything of decent quality when it comes to firearms anyway.

GOST
27 August 2015, 03:47
I never shop at Walmart and its good they stop anyway. Drive more customers to the LGS. Instead of them coming in and bitching about cost of items and buying 20 rounds of Prvi.

During last panic Walmart was the only place local to me that didn't jack up their prices on ammo. My LSGs were charging around $80 per 100 rounds of 5.56. To me the loss of competition is almost never good for prices.

Cant say I ever go to Wal-Mart for anything of decent quality when it comes to firearms anyway.

My local Walmarts sold Colt, Remington and other decent rifles. Maybe just a plus of being in the south.

Farva
27 August 2015, 03:54
During last panic Walmart was the only place local to me that didn't jack up their prices on ammo. My LSGs were charging around $80 per 100 rounds of 5.56. To me the loss of competition is almost never good for prices.

My local Walmarts sold Colt, Remington and other decent rifles. Maybe just a plus of being in the south.

I live in Oklahoma and not many of our walmarts sell guns anymore.

SINNER
27 August 2015, 07:17

I live 10 minutes from a Bass Pro and about an hour from Cabela's. Their prices stayed consistent through out the madness although stock suffered because they refused to deal with wholesalers gouging. I had and will always keep a mountain of ammo stock piled. I buy all I use when prices are low. I did not purchase ammo for almost a year last panic. I actually sold some ammo last time. I was sitting on a ton of .22LR because of a crazy sale Cabela's had not 6 months before the BS.

GOST
27 August 2015, 17:17
I live 10 minutes from a Bass Pro and about an hour from Cabela's. Their prices stayed consistent through out the madness although stock suffered because they refused to deal with wholesalers gouging. I had and will always keep a mountain of ammo stock piled. I buy all I use when prices are low. I did not purchase ammo for almost a year last panic. I actually sold some ammo last time. I was sitting on a ton of .22LR because of a crazy sale Cabela's had not 6 months before the BS.

I live in a rural area, there is no Cabela near and the closest Bass Pro is an 1 1/2 hour drive. I also had ammo stocked up but I remember which shops were taking advantage of the situation. Walmart is still considerably cheaper than the LGS on ammo. We now have a Buds, but it's also near a 2 hour drive.

DutyUse
27 August 2015, 21:23
I'm in the same boat as Gost. I almost exclusively buy ammo at Walmart. Also quite a drive to Cabela's or Bass pro. We have KYGUNCo fairly close, and bud's within 70 miles but neither had better pricing then Wallyworld. I bought our 6920 moe there for 1050 all in. Plus they regularly get in great deals on 1,000rd lots of Federal

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/27/d25c7e8f3170aaeee8f749ab5b92103e.jpg

gatordev
28 August 2015, 04:13
Interested to see how it goes when you get it. I've been thinking about trying an ACOG again.

You're not helping. I don't need it...but it's been sitting in my cart at Rainier for a week or so.