PDA

View Full Version : First time build looking for opinions.

JustMatt
29 January 2009, 19:33
I just finished my first lower build and I gotta say that it went smooth with no problems. My first Lower build consisted of a S&W MP15 stripped lower and a DPMS parts kit, a Magpul MIAD grip and a Vltor Receiver extension tube kit. I also used a lower receiver vice block from Rainier Arms which came in real handy. I got a couple questions though
Does it matter what side you put the Trigger/Hammer pins in from? I noticed that they have 2 notches cut in each of them and they are off centered. I couldn't find any info on this. And my other question is the buffer tube just barely covers the buffer detent and if I screw it on another revolution then it gets to tight to function properly. It seems fine to me but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be tight and let it break in or if it was ok to just barely be holding it down?

Uglyduck
29 January 2009, 22:12
a lot of top shelf stuff...you sure this is your first build? I think you know what to look for if you have an LWRC. I'm running a midlength D.I., love it, and have had zero problems. You shouldn't have any problems as long as everything purchased and assembled is designed for a midlength and built correctly. Adams should be able to answer your question about midlength stresses...at least better than I. Hope I was of some small service.

JustMatt
30 January 2009, 05:06
Thanks for the input. I wanted to go top shelf to try and avoid any 'issues' with out of spec parts not fitting properly and to get the best performance out of it. I really want it to be as reliable as my LWRC. My only issue now is that I can't find a barrell. I realy want a Noveske but will settle for a lesser known brand name of equal quality. I do have to say that the Noveske people are great to deal with though, thats where I got my MUR!

Uglyduck
30 January 2009, 11:03
Try JP Enterprises, they're more competition based but put an emphasis on practical reliability with competition accuracy. They built a rifle for me through Viking Tactics and its increadible.

JustMatt
30 January 2009, 12:28
I'll check them out, thanks. Theres a gun show this weekend near me so i'm gonna go check out what they have.

Stickman
30 January 2009, 16:50
Have you decided on a stock yet? The rest of the build seems well enough laid out, and should fill the role of a general purpose very nicely. If you go with the Noveske barrel, you could certainly take things into a SPR role depending on what optic you go with.

Rainier Arms is one of the larger Noveske dealers, and they recently got in more barrels, it may be worth checking their site to see what they still have in stock.

JustMatt
30 January 2009, 20:29
I currently have a CTR and a EMod to choose from for a stock. But I would like to change it to a UBR in the future. As far as optics go, I got GG&G flip up BUIS on my LWRC and I just ordered a Aimpoint M4s that should be here next week or so. Not the best long range stuff but maybe a ACOG or Nightforce will be added later. I wanna get the necessary parts that I don't have first. I do kinda have my heart set on a Noveske barrel and I emailed Rainier and asked to be put on a wait list for them. I'll give them a call and see if they have any 16" mids in stock. Thanks for the approval so far. Once I have all the parts I plan to take a picture diary of the build so I can hopefully get some pointers as I go.

JustMatt
22 February 2009, 11:54
Update:
I was able to get a'hold of a Noveske 16" SS barrel from the "other" sites equipment exchange forum. If any of you were checking out the upper/barrel section then you probably saw the post and know I over paid but i'm ok with it given the current state of the industry. I know theres lots of Noveske love around here and I hope it turns out to be a good choice over Sabre or something else. Now i'm just waiting on my UBR to come in from Larue and i'll be ready to complete my first full build. I also sold my S&W completed lower to finance a lower build using a RockRiver LPK and a Defensive Edge SLR15 lower, thoughts anyone?

Stickman
22 February 2009, 12:01
I'm not sure that I would sell one lower to buy another, but since you were rebuilding your lower configuration, it makes sense.

With the RRA LPK, did you go with the standard or 2 stage trigger?

JustMatt
22 February 2009, 17:05
Standard trigger. I just wanted to get the lower completed. I figured if I wanted to upgrade the trigger I could do that later on down the road. Whats the general opinion of RRA lpk's? Good /bad/no real difference. The DPMS lpk I used for my first lower build was good and the RRA seems to be as good.

JustMatt
9 March 2009, 19:23
So my Noveske 16" SS barrel should be here on wednesday and then all i'm waiting on is a new UBR and MIAD grip thats on backorder everywhere (and I refuse to drop 400+ for a $260 dollar stock on ebay). So I have a few more questions.
1. I was toying with the idea of shooting the DD rail, lower, upper and barrel with Norells Moly Resin before I do the assembly. Should I get the gun together first and then coat it or do the parts individually before I assemble them?
2. OTIS has some fancy shmancy ceramic barrel coating out. Is it worth it and would it benefit a stainless steel barrel? That Noveske barrel cost a lot of cash and I wanna get the most out of it.
3. What do I need besides a torque wrench to assemble my upper properly? (coating or lubricant where barrel and upper meat)
4. Do I need to worry about headspace or is this not a issue? (oh, and what exactly is headspace anyway?)

John Hwang
12 March 2009, 21:49
Rainier Arms is one of the larger Noveske dealers, and they recently got in more barrels, it may be worth checking their site to see what they still have in stock.

Let's get it right Stickman. Largest distributor [noob]
Anyways, we got in 20 16" barrels today all to be sold out within an hour. [wow]

JustMatt
13 March 2009, 16:23
Raiinier sent me a email and while I was toying with the idea of getting one just for the sake of having another one they sold out. Literally within 30 seconds of getting on the website.

Army Chief
13 March 2009, 23:38
That's pretty much par for the course for any AR component these days. If you receive word that something is in stock, you need to be prepared to react immediately -- and even then, there is every possibility that you'll be too late.

Factor in any component that has the word "Noveske" or "Magpul" in it, and it's really a race to the finish line. The times are tough in this regard, and I'm not sure when -- or if -- the situation is ever going to be likely to improve.

AC

JustMatt
14 March 2009, 02:29
I've learned my lesson, no more hesitating! At least I got one barrel. Now I just need my UBR and a bolt and I'm good to go. UBR is 2 weeks and counting on backorder.

socal80
14 March 2009, 04:32
Just wondering where you were able to put backorder for the ubr?

Thanks

I've learned my lesson, no more hesitating! At least I got one barrel. Now I just need my UBR and a bolt and I'm good to go. UBR is 2 weeks and counting on backorder.

Stickman
14 March 2009, 10:08
Guys, try to remember that ordering an item that isn't in stock doesn't mean that dealer is going to get it any quicker.....

JustMatt
14 March 2009, 16:43
I ordered mine from Larue Tactical along with a MIAD grip. I didn't see the 'OUT OF STOCK' header otherwise I would have waited to order. But I like dealing with Larue and when I called Denny's they seemed to have about the same wait time......'we have no idea when MagPul will be sending more product'!' lol Oh well, it gets here when it gets here....Now if Stick wants to be a nice guy and sell me one of his ;) Whats the general feeling on Fail Zero's BCG? I see them popping up online and they are about the same as LMT's enhanced BCG. Are they worth it or a gimmick?

Army Chief
15 March 2009, 00:20
Actually, we have a couple of Fail Zero units starting a T&E assessment here on WEVO right now, and review data is likely to be forthcoming.

AC

JustMatt
15 March 2009, 10:28
I read about that on the Extreme Use build. But Stick mentioned something about them wanting one back for some reason? I will def be getting one of the Adams Arms one piece carrier's with my piston kit.