PDA

View Full Version : Primary Arms Platinum Series 1-8X24

GOST
30 August 2015, 09:15
https://www.primaryarms.com/v/vspfiles/photos/PA1-8X24FFP-AD-MIL-2.jpg

Introducing Primary Arms Platinum Series

Primary Arms Platinum Series rifle scopes are constructed with uncompromised craftsmanship, optical clarity. Fully manufactured in Japan's top factory. You choice of two new reticle designed specifically for this scope. Both give you a tight red dot like view at 1X and precision for long distance.

Tube Diameter: 34 mm
Magnification: 1-8X
Objective Diameter: 24 mm
Ocular Diameter: 36 mm
Exit Pupil: 11.7 mm at 1X, 3.0 mm at 8X
Eye Relief: 3.98 in. at 1X, 3.86 in. at 8X
Field of View:
105.8 feet @ 100 yards at 1X
13.25 feet @ 100 yards at 8X
Click Value: 0.1 MRAD
Elevation travel: 30Mil
Length: 11.02 inches
Net Weight: 26.45 oz.
Red Partial Illumination
Fast Focus Eyepiece
Front Focal Plane
Waterproof
Nitrogen purged
Fog resistant
Fully Multi-Coated
A5056 Aluminum
Comes with High Quality Flip Up Scope Covers
Made in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PddpAFOC0iw&feature=youtu.be

Advanced CQB-MIL Reticle

https://www.primaryarms.com/v/vspfiles/photos/PA1-8X24FFP-AD-MIL-7T.jpg

ACSS 5.56 / 5.45 / .308 Reticle

https://www.primaryarms.com/v/vspfiles/photos/PA1-8X24FFP-ACSS-6T.jpg

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Platinum_Series_1_8X24_Front_Focal_Pl _p/pa1-8x24ffp-ad-mil.htm

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Platinum_Series_1_8X24_Front_Focal_Pl _p/pa1-8x24ffp-acss.htm

MSRP $1,299

UWone77
30 August 2015, 10:27
I'm curious to see how this sells for PA. On one hand, very good price point for a 1-8, on the other hand, are people going to pay $1300 for a PA optic?

toolboxluis00200
30 August 2015, 10:32
Good question

GOST
30 August 2015, 11:15
I'm curious to see how this sells for PA. On one hand, very good price point for a 1-8, on the other hand, are people going to pay $1300 for a PA optic?

I was thinking the same thing. Will be interesting to see how it does in the same price range as the Vortex Razor HD 1-6.

SINNER
30 August 2015, 11:47
The real question is can PA produce a good quality 1-8 for that kind of cash. My bet is no.

schambers
30 August 2015, 13:53
The real question is can PA produce a good quality 1-8 for that kind of cash. My bet is no.

That all depends on who is producing these for Primary Arms, and if its the same place that produces their other optics.

There are a lot of big companies that outsource production so just because it has the PA branding doesn't automatically make low quality.

din
30 August 2015, 20:08
I'm sure it's a fine optic, but a little extra magnification on the top end isn't going to make me pick this up over a Vortex when the Vortex has a lifetime warranty and this is five years.

docsherm
30 August 2015, 20:13
I would be very interested but no way at that price. But I will keep an open mind. It may be a great scope. Who knows. I thought the same thing about the high end Bushnells when they first came out and I love my 1-8.5 now. Time will tell

UWone77
30 August 2015, 20:36
When the 1-6x24 PA is $270? It's hard to make the jump another 1k+ for 1-8. So far in the time I've had my 1-6, I am impressed with it, but for 99% of us, 1-6 does just about everything I need it to for a lot less money.

Naytwan
30 August 2015, 20:48

I am thinking the same thing. PA made their name on quality "cheap" optics. Will be interesting to see if they can move up market.

Liberal_Strong
30 August 2015, 23:29
interesting response from everyone. the way i see it is that yes its pricey but a lot of manufactures who make cheap optics also have higher end, nicer scopes. lets say weaver for instance, we know em as cheap chinese made scopes but they have some legit higher end long range scopes that people say are totally worth it. What I believe is that PA is moving on up in the industry. ACCS reticle seems pretty hot and now theyre paired with Trijicon ACOG's. This new PA 1-8 is being made in Japan so im going to give the benefit of the doubt that its going to be as good as [some] Nikon scopes. And lest we forget, Vortex scopes are made in china?

GOST
31 August 2015, 01:58
I would be very interested but no way at that price. But I will keep an open mind. It may be a great scope. Who knows. I thought the same thing about the high end Bushnells when they first came out and I love my 1-8.5 now. Time will tell

Didn't think about it till you brought up the Bushnell, but these two scopes may be made by the same people since both are made in Japan.

http://bushnell.com/getmedia/bf856878-d24e-4252-ad18-af1f0bcf45ac/ET185224.png?width=800&height=800&ext=.png

mustangfreek
31 August 2015, 02:59

I have been watching them talk about this perticluar scope for a while, thought the price was honestly gonna come in lower, as their stuff is usually less expensive/good bang for your buck value..

Its a lot of cheese for a PA branded scope..

BC98
31 August 2015, 11:20
interesting response from everyone. the way i see it is that yes its pricey but a lot of manufactures who make cheap optics also have higher end, nicer scopes. lets say weaver for instance, we know em as cheap chinese made scopes but they have some legit higher end long range scopes that people say are totally worth it.And lest we forget, Vortex scopes are made in china?

Weaver optics are primarily made in Japan now. Also, high-end Vortex scopes are also made in Japan as well. I'm 99% sure that I know which manufacturer these are coming from and they are an extremely competent optics maker with a long history in the US market.

Liberal_Strong
31 August 2015, 11:27
Weaver optics are primarily made in Japan now. Also, high-end Vortex scopes are also made in Japan as well. I'm 99% sure that I know which manufacturer these are coming from and they are an extremely competent optics maker with a long history in the US market.
Oooo. That's nice to know. I hate how most of these guys don't list the place of origin on where its made. So the only times I've seen where they're from is if I saw it in person..so I'll stand corrected on anything I stated wrong.

Ride4frnt
31 August 2015, 15:01
When the 1-6x24 PA is $270? It's hard to make the jump another 1k+ for 1-8. So far in the time I've had my 1-6, I am impressed with it, but for 99% of us, 1-6 does just about everything I need it to for a lot less money.

Same. FFP sounds nice but you can keep it for 1k

SINNER
31 August 2015, 15:34
I almost never buy budget optics but I swear I'm ordering one of their 1-6 optics.

I didn't like the VCOG or Razor because they made too many compromises to get a 6x zoom. And the only optic I have ever used with a 8x zoom that worked well was the S&B short dot. Even the U.S. Optics had issues with eye relief and loss of contrast ( due to light gathering loss) that I found I could not stand. IF Primary arms pulled off a 1-8 that works well for that price it's a steal. I just doubt they could or did.

Cotton68spc
31 August 2015, 15:53
I can tell you from using the 1-6 acss and the 1-4 viper vortex the vortex is much much clearer

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

BC98
1 September 2015, 08:11
I can tell you from using the 1-6 acss and the 1-4 viper vortex the vortex is much much clearer

Check me out on YouTube and Facebook

It appears that he PA 1-6x is made in China and the Viper comes out of the Phillipines. FIlipino optics makers are actually pretty capable and I would rank them above the majority of the Chinese manufacturers. Regardless, the products (from any optics company) coming out of Japan will likely be higher quality than either Chinese or Filipino-sourced glass.

voodoo_man
1 September 2015, 08:25
1200 bucks?

Uffdaphil
1 September 2015, 08:51
My Burris XTR II 1.5-8 was $500 less than this scope. I'd pay more for true 1x, but not that much more from a company with zero track record for higher quality optics. Not knocking PA stuff in general. Their red dots are the best budget deal available IMO.

BC98
1 September 2015, 10:50
Regardless of who's name is on the box, the price is actually pretty representative of similar optics that are coming out of Japan.

With respect to the Burris XTR II, I have read some great reviews on it but it is still not coming out of the same manufacturer.

SINNER
1 September 2015, 11:01
Such as? I know of no other 8x optics coming from anywhere legitimate for even close to their asking price on this.

BC98
1 September 2015, 13:12
Such as? I know of no other 8x optics coming from anywhere legitimate for even close to their asking price on this.

I never said 8x, only similar. By similar, I'm talking 1-6/7/8 magnification, min 30mm tube, etc. with the common theme of being produced out of Japan for the AR market.

Bushnell 1-6.5x FFP and DFP (I believe the 1-8.5x is WAY overpriced and should actually be down in the $1500-1600 range, though I have seen some around $1800 )
Weaver Tactical 1-7x Dual Focal Plane
GRSC/Norden Performance 1-6x
Vortex Razor 1-6x (Though this is SFP)

Based on your statements, you would likely not buy one of them because you don't buy budget optics. I likely won't puchase one either as I already have two of the Weaver 1-7x's and a Leupold Mk6 and don't need anymore optics. However, I would certainly try one out if I were in the position where I was looking for a low-power variable with similar features.

While the pricing may seem too good to be true, something to remember is that PA is selling these direct. This gives them way more leeway to determine pricing in order to get an acceptable level of profit. Bushnell, Weaver, Vortex, etc. have an extra step of distribution to account for and that will always add to the MSRP/street price of these optics.

SINNER
1 September 2015, 13:26
That's the point you are missing. A rep from Swarovski told me the cost to manufacture a 1-8 ratio zoom optic is almost double that of a 6x zoom ratio optic. It's not the total zoom that is cost intensive but the ratio of it's range. Comparing a 1-8 or a 3-24 to a 3-9 or a 4-16 is like comparing apples to oranges. It's all directly related to the entrance pupil shift. High ratio's cost a small fortune to make work properly.

BC98
1 September 2015, 16:38
I don't doubt that there is more cost involved in making a 1 to 8 optic. More lenses, more complicated movement, usually bigger tube are all going to add to the cost. Twice as much? Maybe for Swarovski, I don't know. I have friends and former coworkers in the optics industry and when I asked them they indicated it wasn't twice as much for some of the Asian suppliers. Maybe they've figured out a different way of packaging what's necessary to get an 8x zoom.

What is different for primary arms is that they are dealing directly with the factory and selling directly from their warehouse. I have a rough idea of what the Bushnell 1 - 8.5 X optic costs and at that cost Primary Arms would be making some pretty good money at their street price. If the optics market wont bear the price that they're charging the price will drop. But just because it doesn't cost $3,000 doesn't necessarily mean it's not a worthwhile optic with good features. My only caution would be to not discount it because of the name.

tact
1 September 2015, 18:56
I don't get a 1-8 in the first place......a 1-10 seems more practical than a 1-8. And even by that I'd prefer a 10x with an RMR offset

BoilerUp
2 September 2015, 21:40
I'm with Sinner on this. Your money is better spent on better glass than a higher magnification ratio. That is good advice at any price point. I'm sure the PA will be decent glass, but with some careful shopping you could pick up a Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6x24 for about the same or even less.

I think PA is making a marketing mistake on this one because I can't imagine that too many people willing to throw down over a $1,000 on glass will do so for a PA branded tube. That's just not what their brand reputation is about. And if they want to change that reputation, they should probably start with "Platinum" glass on something like a 1-4x24. A 1-8x is an odd choice since it is such a niche requirement. For those that really feel their mission requires a 1-8x, I'm sure this will make a good option, but most people can't really even justify a 1-6x over a 1-4x, and I can't imagine there is anything one could do with a PA 1-8x that you couldn't just as easily do with the Razor.

GOST
11 September 2015, 16:39
Now in-stock at Rainier Arms.

http://www.rainierarms.com/primary-arms-platinum-series-1-8x24-ffp-scope