PDA

View Full Version : Woe is me.....

WHSmithIV
1 September 2015, 14:31
So, found out over the weekend that I won an online auction for another Anderson stripped lower receiver. A whopping $42.55 including shipping to my FFL......... I had forgotten I had a bid on it with all that's been happening.

Sheesh. All I need to finish the pistol is the barrel (and a little loctite).

Oh well.. I'll stick the receiver on the shelf and figure out what to build with it later.

UWone77
1 September 2015, 14:43
Moved to the Lounge

WHSmithIV
1 September 2015, 14:47
Sorry UWone - wasn't sure where to post it

UWone77
1 September 2015, 14:58
Sorry UWone - wasn't sure where to post it

Sounds like you wanted to talk more about your situation than the lower, so the Lounge is the best place for it.

WHSmithIV
1 September 2015, 15:21
Nope - trying to think about what I'll do with this lower receiver...... hadn't actually planned on buying one right now.

UWone77
1 September 2015, 15:23
Nope - trying to think about what I'll do with this lower receiver...... hadn't actually planned on buying one right now.

1st world problems. [:D]

toolboxluis00200
1 September 2015, 15:35
congrats!

WHSmithIV
1 September 2015, 16:22
I'm thinking maybe I'll do a 300 Blackout with it.... Something with OD green and a bayonet maybe. Don't really need another .223.

Could go ahead and do a 7.62x39 carbine (but the 7.62x39 pistol is almost done - all it needs is a barrel now, the bolt is on its way).... or 6.8 SPC maybe.....

I'm all confused now as to what I want to do with it.[bash]

GaSwamper
1 September 2015, 17:04
6.8 is pretty solid round. I've had had it and 7.62x39 and I'll take the 6.8 anyday over it unless it's an AK.

UWone77
1 September 2015, 17:12
Honestly as little as you shoot, you should probably invest more in ammo or reloading.

toolboxluis00200
1 September 2015, 17:17
.22lr. Upper.[BD]

SwissyJim
1 September 2015, 18:22
Honestly as little as you shoot, you should probably invest more in ammo or reloading.
That's not a bad idea. Altho the x39 steel cased stuff is cheap enough, you could do some accurate load ups in .223, and tinker with the x39. If you do get into 300BLK, reloading is your friend!

However, if you're dead set on another AR... 458Socom! [crazy]

WHSmithIV
1 September 2015, 18:55
Thought about .458 SOCOM - only thing is that the cartridges are about $3 each [wow] ..

Reloading equipment is in the plans for later. I actually have some dies and other stuff. Bought a box early last summer of a bunch of reloading stuff from a yard sale for $20.

I've been buying up more .223 but I really need to buy around 250-500 rounds at a time on-line for better cost effectiveness. If I go .300 Blackout, that's available on-line for around $0.43 a round shipped if I buy 250-500 rounds.

6.8 SPC is a bit more expensive.

So, it's sort of a toss up between another 7.62x39 as a carbine or .300 Blackout I guess.

SwissyJim
1 September 2015, 19:32
I'm doing 300BLK for less than 30¢ a round subsonic, and my 458Socom is a bit more at about $1.50 a round, less as I reload the same brass over and over since that's the bulk of the cost. But I hear ya... you have the initial cost of the dies, powders, bullets, etc. Thankfully the powders are the same for 300BLK as they are for 458Socom. That and I know Tony Rumore @ Tromix, how gives me a deal on parts and brass for the 458.

It's like when I first bought my boat.., the first fish I caught, I calculated the cost of that one fish and about choked. Each fish I catch gets cheaper and cheaper, but it's still something I don't look at anymore or I'd go nuts!

Since you already have the x39 pistol build almost finished, another in x39 would not cost you as big of an increase in ammo as adding a 300BLK gun...

WHSmithIV
1 September 2015, 19:45
I'm doing 300BLK for less than 30¢ a round subsonic, and my 458Socom is a bit more at about $1.50 a round, less as I reload the same brass over and over since that's the bulk of the cost. But I hear ya... you have the initial cost of the dies, powders, bullets, etc. Thankfully the powders are the same for 300BLK as they are for 458Socom. That and I know Tony Rumore @ Tromix, how gives me a deal on parts and brass for the 458.

It's like when I first bought my boat.., the first fish I caught, I calculated the cost of that one fish and about choked. Each fish I catch gets cheaper and cheaper, but it's still something I don't look at anymore or I'd go nuts!

Since you already have the x39 pistol build almost finished, another in x39 would not cost you as big of an increase in ammo as adding a 300BLK gun...

That's kind of what I've been thinking. I could go ahead and do a 16" 7.62x39. There is the additional cost of the 7.62x39 mags but I know where I can get ASC mags for less than $20 shipped. Just had the FDE 20 round mag delivered for the pistol last week.... Next I'll get a 30 round one. For a carbine I'd just get 30 round mags. Hopefully ETS is going to make some 7.62x39 mags also.

Former11B
2 September 2015, 09:11
I have never seen anyone shooting a x39 AR that didn't have problems with it the entire time. Maybe I've just seen cheap builds or something but if I'm shooting 7.62x39, it's gonna be in an AK.

I'd just hang on to the lower and like UWone said, invest the build money into something else, like ammo, reloading, or improving current builds. And if we have another scare, maybe you can sell that stripped lower for a healthy profit.

WHSmithIV
2 September 2015, 11:14
Apparently some of the problems with AR 7.62x39's (from an article I was reading the other day) has to do with the feed ramps in the barrel extension. According to the article, Bushmaster had solved this by changing the barrel extension feed ramps into one single large feed ramp thus preventing cartridges from getting stuck on the lip in the center.

I'll know more for sure when I get the barrel for the 7.62 pistol which is the last part I need. I'm not averse to machining the barrel extension feed ramp if I need to either.

The only other issue I've found in research with the 7.62x39's also pertains to the 6.8 SPC's and 6.5 Grendels in that there have been a fair number of reported bolt failures. With that in mind, it's probably not a bad idea to build a carbine in 7.62x39 since I'd then have a 2nd bolt available should one actually break.

As for hanging on to the stripped lower for perhaps selling it when there's another scare at a profit - nope - won't do that. What's the point of maybe getting $100 in profit from it and not being able to get another one? I'll build it - slowly. I won't even get started with the upper for a long time either. It won't cost a lot to get the lower done though. Getting a LPK and the stock kit can be done inexpensively by keeping an eye out for sales. Since I have no hurry to build it I have no problem with waiting for good price deals for things that coincide with when I have some cash available.

I didn't plan on buying the receiver but, since I ended up with it I'll make a plan on what to build from it. I have some parts I won't need to buy anyway. Might as well use them. I have a forward assist that came extra with my .223 and I have a couple dust covers - one a complete Strike Industries UDC. I have a milspec charging handle. So, piece by piece I'll slowly build something from the stripped lower receiver. 7.62 ammo I do have a few hundred rounds of. I used to have an SKS and a few years ago I traded it straight across for my Citadel 1911 .45 - I kept my 7.62 ammo though. I have probably 1000 rounds of .45 ACP. I shoot my .45 more than anything else actually.

I have some other higher priority things to do than build up another stripped lower receiver, but, I enjoy making the plan for what I will do with it.

What I'd really like to do with it is build something for 500 yard accuracy for hunting. 7.62x39 isn't going to do that. So, I'll have to think about what I'll do with it. It is doubtful that any of the AR15 possible calibers will actually be good hunting rounds out to 500 yards other than probably 6.5 Grendel. That's something to think about too since the ammo isn't all that expensive as a hunting round - less than what my .303 ammo costs.

I'll still have to do some thinking about this, however, it's the lower that will get built first anyway.