PDA

View Full Version : A hunting I will go

cjd3
5 September 2015, 00:35
See you all in a bit, as I'm off to great wilderness to harvest a moose or two for our ever growing family. My rifle maintained its zero from last years successful hunt, and I get to bring my brother along for his first.

mustangfreek
5 September 2015, 03:06
See you all in a bit, as I'm off to great wilderness to harvest a moose or two for our ever growing family. My rifle maintained its zero from last years successful hunt, and I get to bring my brother along for his first.

Sounds like a good time, havent been able to get out and hunt in a few years, but the oldest kid is showing interest,,Anyways good luck and a moose pic is needed after you started this thread...[:D]

SINNER
5 September 2015, 04:23
You lucky SOB. hahaaha

Moose and elk are my two favorite game meats. Must be amazing to have moose local to your area. We have tons of animals in my area to hunt but we are severely lacking in the large cervidae.

Good luck!

greenlineaz
5 September 2015, 11:01
Good luck, throw some pictures up if you have a chance to take any!

Pyzik
5 September 2015, 11:10
Awesome! I haven't been hunting in so long. Jealous.

SwissyJim
5 September 2015, 11:38
good luck!

Sadly my caribou hunt fell thru... damn nephew and his new job. He'd rather go get trained to be a 747 pilot than take me in his Super Cub out hunting. Selfish bastard! LOL

WHSmithIV
5 September 2015, 12:04
Ahh well Jim - always next weekend [:)]

SwissyJim
5 September 2015, 16:23
Ahh well Jim - always next weekend [:)] Ha! Not when he's got a 2 1/2" months worth of training

WHSmithIV
5 September 2015, 16:26
guess you'll just have to go by vehicle without him then [:D]

cjd3
5 September 2015, 17:12
And were weathered in. Jim, my brother in law just got his 737 wings, and would be on this trip, but he's on reserve, and its frowned upon to ditch work for hunting during your probationary period.

DutyUse
5 September 2015, 19:34
I've always wanted to harvest a Moose. I hope you see some big racks!

cjd3
16 September 2015, 19:10
http://i.imgur.com/GDwwUSQ.jpg
A successful hunt. My brother on the right got his first moose. A lot of fun, a lot of work, and we will be well fed this year. It was a 120 yard uphill shot.

DutyUse
17 September 2015, 04:48
http://i.imgur.com/GDwwUSQ.jpg
A successful hunt. My brother on the right got his first moose. A lot of fun, a lot of work, and we will be well fed this year. It was a 120 yard uphill shot.

Nice! Congrats

Former11B
17 September 2015, 09:19
What type of rifle and ammo were you using?

Nice hunt. When I visited Alaska in 2014 I wanted to stay for all the natural resources. Beautiful place. I might have to settle for Montana because it's closer to my family here in SC and I really liked it there too

cjd3
17 September 2015, 18:13
What type of rifle and ammo were you using?

Nice hunt. When I visited Alaska in 2014 I wanted to stay for all the natural resources. Beautiful place. I might have to settle for Montana because it's closer to my family here in SC and I really liked it there too
My brother used Winchester .30-06 with Remington 180 grain Remington Swift A-Frames. The rifle hadn't been used in a while, so I used factory rounds for his rifle. He's actually holding my Savage 111 .30-06 because it was closer for the picture. I found a good sub MOA load with RL 22 behind 180 grain Nosler Partitions. The last 2 years have produced one shot wonders with that workup for me. However, in the torrential downpour, my scope fogged up internally, so I had to switch to iron sights for the remainder of the hunt. I never found a moose to try them out on, but guess what I will be practicing on this winter? Thank goodness for the Leupold QR cope mounts.

Other hunters were using .375 HH, .300 Weatherby Magnum, and a .300 Win Mag.