PDA

View Full Version : LaRue TranQuilo suppressor

cjd3
6 September 2015, 13:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQH8223J89E
While watching weather, I cam across this new suppressor from LaRue
Laure TranQuila Sound Supressor M308 (http://www.larue.com/larue-tranquilo-sound-suppressor-m308)
Very nice intro price, and the muzzle mounts seem to priced nicely too.

voodoo_man
6 September 2015, 14:34
At this point he could sell the best thing on the planet and i would still not buy it.

Farva
6 September 2015, 15:31
At this point he could sell the best thing on the planet and i would still not buy it.

It's obvious I've missed something. I've seen you make statements before about Larue. What happened that made you dislike the company? I'm not a fanboy just genuinely curious. (Also I don't mean to side track the thread)

GOST
6 September 2015, 15:49
It's obvious I've missed something. I've seen you make statements before about Larue. What happened that made you dislike the company? I'm not a fanboy just genuinely curious. (Also I don't mean to side track the thread)

If you've been on TOS you'd see what he's talking about.

toolboxluis00200
6 September 2015, 16:04

I think he just dose not like any bod . [BD]. Just Kidd just kidd

voodoo_man
6 September 2015, 16:11

I'd rather not air dirty laundry.

Lets just say I once bought mounts and stuff from his company, but once I learned a few specific ethically unacceptable actions I sold everything I owned of his and stopped buying anything he has to sell.

Ethics and morals go a long way, especially in the gun industry. Once a person or company is found to have intentionally done unethical or immoral things, I will not spend a dime on anything they have to sell ever.

Farva
6 September 2015, 16:28

For the second time in this thread, forgive my ignorance, but what is TOS [BD]

Farva
6 September 2015, 16:54
I'd rather not air dirty laundry.

Lets just say I once bought mounts and stuff from his company, but once I learned a few specific ethically unacceptable actions I sold everything I owned of his and stopped buying anything he has to sell.

Ethics and morals go a long way, especially in the gun industry. Once a person or company is found to have intentionally done unethical or immoral things, I will not spend a dime on anything they have to sell ever.

Noted. And I completely agree. I'll do some research.

GOST
6 September 2015, 18:13
For the second time in this thread, forgive my ignorance, but what is TOS [BD]

The other site

Former11B
8 September 2015, 06:46
It's funny LaRue is marketing a can. All the LaRue rifles I've seen run suppressed all ran like crap. Three thousand dollar crap.

From a shooter's perspective, I also have an issue with the top spine that they use on their OBR rails/uppers (like POF) which is supposed to mitigate bipod or bench rest influence on the rifle, but forces the shooter to use an elevated cheekweld which usually causes improperly set up optics ignoring LOP and only focusing on eye relief. Which leads to other issues/compensations...downhill snowball effect.

jdhill
8 September 2015, 08:46
It's funny LaRue is marketing a can. All the LaRue rifles I've seen run suppressed all ran like crap. Three thousand dollar crap.

From a shooter's perspective, I also have an issue with the top spine that they use on their OBR rails/uppers (like POF) which is supposed to mitigate bipod or bench rest influence on the rifle, but forces the shooter to use an elevated cheekweld which usually causes improperly set up optics ignoring LOP and only focusing on eye relief. Which leads to other issues/compensations...downhill snowball effect.

Funny, none of the LaRue rifles I have run suppressed run like crap... they seem to run just fine... As for the 10 or 20 MOA rails, if the rifle is set up properly (i.e. a PRS stock or RISR) the problems you note are not problems... and the tOBR and tAR line don't have any cant built in or spine, so it is a non-issue...

If you don't like LaRue, or their products, don't buy them...

docsherm
8 September 2015, 09:14

That is the problem right there....NEVER GO TO TOS!...... ;)

docsherm
8 September 2015, 09:20

Those are some very confusing comments. How many OBRs have you used? What type type of cans?

if you use another type of scope mount then yes, you will be all jacked. That is not from the MOA added to the rail it is from not using the correct equipment.

Former11B
8 September 2015, 10:04
Those are some very confusing comments. How many OBRs have you used? What type type of cans?

if you use another type of scope mount then yes, you will be all jacked. That is not from the MOA added to the rail it is from not using the correct equipment.

Funny, none of the LaRue rifles I have run suppressed run like crap... they seem to run just fine... As for the 10 or 20 MOA rails, if the rifle is set up properly (i.e. a PRS stock or RISR) the problems you note are not problems... and the tOBR and tAR line don't have any cant built in or spine, so it is a non-issue...

If you don't like LaRue, or their products, don't buy them...

I don't buy their products because I don't like the design, obviously. Two of the rifles I've seen in person were using AAC SDN-6s...read about other issues on various forums.

The AR15/AR10 platform was made to run with iron sights, however adapted to optics the rifles have become. Eye relief is meant to be measured from the charging handle forward- using nose-to-charging handle (doesn't necessarily mean it's touching, but close) or length of pull. The PRS stock has the cheek riser in the place it is so the charging handle can actually function, NOT because that's the proper position for your cheek.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/RED68C/Diagram.jpg

An adjustable cheek riser is unnecessary if the scope is mounted on the proper height rings and set up on the rifle properly.

Like the SPR I just built, the scope is set up based on all of this, and is as low as possible (height over bore) as it can be (objective is nearly touching the handguard. Setting a scope up high just so a stock with a cheek riser can be used or needing a cheek riser because the scope is mounted so high means its not being set up properly and I'd be willing to bet there are other issues present like poor form, and the shooter could be better/more precise. The vast majority of folks shoot very little so the problems aren't obvious or they never come to light while in a gun safe. Then you have a percentage of people who, just because they paid a lot of money for something, will not take criticism very well. It happens.

I may not be explaining this well over the internet, but I could plainly show it in person better. Feel free to brush me off as another internet guy, but if you take a precision rifle course from someone who isn't just taking your money, they'll tell you the same thing about how to properly set up a carbine in order to maximize it.

schambers
8 September 2015, 13:32

I don't think the elevated cheek weld problem necessarily isolated to OBR/POF pattern systems but the extra height magnifies the problem (as you said). It seems that most people who run optics with large objectives (35+) and a collapsible stock/ A2 stock end up using a chin weld.

I tired to run an MLT MWS like this and it bothered the crap out of me. Tried the RISR as well and still didn't get the results I wanted. Worked well for a DMR but I didn't favor it. Ended up selling it and going back to the bolt for long range shooting.

To Larue in general: Always been impressed with the machining and attention to detail.

voodoo_man
8 September 2015, 14:27
As an aside, I have never had or seen an issue with any of his rifles. In fact in an F2S class I shot earlier this year (http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/03/aar-dual-use-carbine-f2s-consulting-feb.html) a guy was running one and had very little to no issues with it. Accuracy was as good as the SR25 ECC I was running and it lived up to the hype, in my opinion, but so did the SR25.

jdhill
8 September 2015, 15:14
I don't buy their products because I don't like the design, obviously. Two of the rifles I've seen in person were using AAC SDN-6s...read about other issues on various forums.

The AR15/AR10 platform was made to run with iron sights, however adapted to optics the rifles have become. Eye relief is meant to be measured from the charging handle forward- using nose-to-charging handle (doesn't necessarily mean it's touching, but close) or length of pull. The PRS stock has the cheek riser in the place it is so the charging handle can actually function, NOT because that's the proper position for your cheek.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/RED68C/Diagram.jpg

An adjustable cheek riser is unnecessary if the scope is mounted on the proper height rings and set up on the rifle properly.

Like the SPR I just built, the scope is set up based on all of this, and is as low as possible (height over bore) as it can be (objective is nearly touching the handguard. Setting a scope up high just so a stock with a cheek riser can be used or needing a cheek riser because the scope is mounted so high means its not being set up properly and I'd be willing to bet there are other issues present like poor form, and the shooter could be better/more precise. The vast majority of folks shoot very little so the problems aren't obvious or they never come to light while in a gun safe. Then you have a percentage of people who, just because they paid a lot of money for something, will not take criticism very well. It happens.

I may not be explaining this well over the internet, but I could plainly show it in person better. Feel free to brush me off as another internet guy, but if you take a precision rifle course from someone who isn't just taking your money, they'll tell you the same thing about how to properly set up a carbine in order to maximize it.

Anyone setting up any rifle as a PR should understand that the rifle is part of a system. All the parts need to be planned out to work with and compliment each other, or if you make a purpose driven compromise here or there you understand and accept the consequences of said compromise.

When you buy an OBR, you should know you are buying a rifle with 20MOA (or 10 in the 5.56), it's a feature, not fault, if you plan all the other components accordingly. it probably should have never come with an A2 stock...

El Cid
20 October 2015, 18:48

See - this is where I wrote off your opinion. When a person says "all the XXX I've seen..." It gives many people the impression you have lots of experience with that item. When someone pins you down to a number and you say you saw two rifles... It's all very disingenuous in my book. If I saw 2 rifles choke I wouldn't say "all the rifles I've seen" unless I was trying to sound more credible and imply something I wasn't really qualified to say.

GOST
20 October 2015, 19:24
You have a valid point but so does the other guy. When you're at a $3000 price point you better run like Luis to a buffet, especially when there are comparable rifles that are over $1000 less that perform as well. I'm not saying that Larue makes a subpar product, but I am saying at their price point you better step up to the plate.

toolboxluis00200
20 October 2015, 19:51
You have a valid point but so does the other guy. When you're at a $3000 price point you better run like Luis to a buffet, especially when there are comparable rifles that are over $1000 less that perform as well. I'm not saying that Larue makes a subpar product, but I am saying at their price point you better step up to the plate.

I can not eat at buffets any more :(

GOST
20 October 2015, 20:18
How about a smorgasbord?

toolboxluis00200
20 October 2015, 21:25
How about a smorgasbord?

What is that

Joelski
21 October 2015, 03:31
That is the problem right there....NEVER GO TO TOS!...... ;)

Can't find it anyway! My Google Foo is weak today.

Joelski
21 October 2015, 03:43
There are guys here that can take a g note and build a rifle as good as the ones that sell you their name equity up-front, and still have enough left over for a 30 pack and a decent cigar. I don't pay people to stamp their good name on my stuff. I will however pay a reasonable premium for quality workmanship. I like to think that's the mindset of this place.

SINNER
21 October 2015, 08:00
How about a smorgasbord?

What is that

Just think feeding trough. LOL

Former11B
21 October 2015, 08:13
There are guys here that can take a g note and build a rifle as good as the ones that sell you their name equity up-front, and still have enough left over for a 30 pack and a decent cigar. I don't pay people to stamp their good name on my stuff. I will however pay a reasonable premium for quality workmanship. I like to think that's the mindset of this place.

Well put.

Bronco75
21 October 2015, 08:40
I have owned both a 5.56 PredatOBR and a 7.62 PredatOBR. The fit and finish of the rifles are fantastic. Both of mine ran suppressed with an AAC 556SD and an SDN-6 just fine with no issues. The major issue I had, that I could not look past, was the proprietary barrel nut system. No matter how hard I torqued that barrel nut down, it would loosen after 150 rounds or so and it sheered off the barrel pin after 2000 rounds or so. I had purchased the rifle when they were hens teeth to get from a former LaRue employee. I asked him about the issue and he said it was an issue LaRue was fully aware of. I called LaRue to have the rifle send back in for service and they acted like I was crazy and this was not a common issue. I dropped the name of the former employee and their changed their tune and admitted that I would need to monitor the barrel nut during extended range trips. For the cost of this rifle...this is a stupid problem to have.

I sold both my LaRue rifles and turned them into KAC 25's and 15's and have not looked back. The SR-25 is built like a brick shithouse. Hell, I had to take the upper into Rainier Arms to even get the brake off and they ended up having to cut the damn thing off. The KAC stuff is built like a tank and if you compared the two you would drop the extra $1500 in a heartbeat.

LaRue makes some great mounts...until you buy a Bobro. I still like the LaRue better than the ADM though.

Mark LaRue should just stick to making BBQ rubs....that is where he really shines LOL