PDA

View Full Version : A little rail selection help and question

mustangfreek
12 September 2015, 21:44
We'll home bored and thinking about some things and am slowly piecing together a shorty upper.Didnt want to jack pyzik's thread..Anyways wanted all the rail i could.Any 8.5/8.7" rails around ?...

WHSmithIV
12 September 2015, 22:22
Not so sure it would make much of a difference with the rail going a bit over the battlecomp. The gas would still vent from the comp. I did a bunch of searching around and didn't find an 8" or 8.x" handguard anywhere.

I'm glad you posted that pic by the way. I've been wanting to know the exact measurement to the A2 sight for a mid-length gas set up because that's how I'm going to build the next rifle. 9.25" is apparently it.

Deadwing
13 September 2015, 02:36
Knight's makes their URX 4 in an 8.5" version, but it's KeyMod: http://www.rogtac.com/kac-urx-4-ibn-rail-assembly-8-5/

Coupon code "facebook" will get you 5% off at ROG Tactical.

UWone77
13 September 2015, 15:39
Maybe you should measure with the BABC with a crush washer or shims to get a better measurement.

mustangfreek
15 September 2015, 02:09
No help for the ginger...[BD]....Or just a dumb idea, say whatever i can take it..[:D]....Or what 7-8" rails should i be looking at or who's got one laying around.

Or..What about one of them KAW valley 30 cal linear comps

Maybe you should measure with the BABC with a crush washer or shims to get a better measurement.

I held the BC off the barrel a little more then a 1/16" i nthe pic to count for it.

Deadwing
15 September 2015, 02:42
No help for the ginger...[BD]....Or just a dumb idea, say whatever i can take it..[:D]....Or what 7-8" rails should i be looking at or who's got one laying around.

It would be a shame to not use that BABC... Just use shims, or a peel washer, to get the desired extension past the end of the rail and proper timing. It wouldn't take too much shimming to get the look you're going for.

BoilerUp
15 September 2015, 05:52

That's the route I took. 9" rail over an 8.5" .300 BLK barrel w/ Kaw Valley linear comp

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-gcXmmLv/0/L/i-gcXmmLv-L.jpg

I like it. A linear comp on a short barrel works pretty well, and I like the look.

mustangfreek
19 September 2015, 06:21
Nice

Still undecided what to do here.

mustangfreek
27 September 2015, 00:59
Project has been Squashed..

Thanks for the help gents.