PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name? (Help me name my LLC)

Pyzik
16 September 2015, 19:19
Okay, so I'm wanting to get this FFL/business thing off and running. I was wanting to have my LLC application in this evening but it's not looking like it's going to happen tonight.

I cannot for the life of me think of a good LLC name.
I do plan on using Damage Photos as a Trade Name. Also thinking of Grip Alterations as a Trade Name for the stippling side.

But an LLC name I am stumped. I was wanting to keep the DP since I like my logo. But DP Custom Works (Slide work & refinishing) is taken and I think DP Firearms is too similar. I don't want to be confused with him.

I was thinking DP Armament, LLC but not sure.

Just drop the DP? I think Pyzik would be too difficult too have to spell out all the time or have people not be able to say or spell it.
But I guess if I am using my Trade Names the LLC name really isn't THAT important.

Thanks for any insight, gents!

WHSmithIV
16 September 2015, 19:44
True - if you are using your trade names, the actual LLC name becomes pretty much irrelevant. It can be anything. Why not just make the LLC as DP Pyzik, LLC? It would certainly be unique enough.

GOST
16 September 2015, 19:45
Double Penetration, I kidd.

toolboxluis00200
16 September 2015, 19:51
Ginger of vengeance LLC

Pyzik
16 September 2015, 19:59
LOL. You guys are FUNNY!

I think I may be thinking off track now that I'm talking with a friend who has a couple businesses...
I was thinking trade names would be on banking information and what not but it's sounding like the LLC name is.

alamo5000
16 September 2015, 20:03
When you come up with the LLC name copyright the other names. If you ever get the chance you could grow them as individual names later on if you want.

Describe again what your LLC will be doing? Obviously it's gun stuff but can you narrow it down?

WHSmithIV
16 September 2015, 20:10
LOL. You guys are FUNNY!

I think I may be thinking off track now that I'm talking with a friend who has a couple businesses...
I was thinking trade names would be on banking information and what not but it's sounding like the LLC name is.

Actually, you can put trade names on the checks and get paid to them. It's the same as "Doing Business As". I'm self employed and have a DBA name (trade name) and the bank accepts deposits in my trade name and I have a checking account with it too.

alamo5000
16 September 2015, 20:28
While you are getting all this stuff done I would definitely look into/ask your guy about how to register those two other names as trademark names. Ask about how to register them as a DBA under the LLC name. Later on up the road you will be glad you did.

alamo5000
16 September 2015, 20:35
Maybe something like Zeek Guns LLC...

Whatever name you choose, it needs to be brief and have some reference to what you do in the title.

alamo5000
16 September 2015, 20:40
The brief but concise name will also help tremendously with any web presence. Email addresses...web addresses...etc etc...

www.zeek dot com

David at zeek dot com...

You want something that is easy for people to remember.

toolboxluis00200
16 September 2015, 20:49
Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All. LLC

Dstrbdmedic167
16 September 2015, 20:52
Gingergeddon, Red Headed Lord of All. LLC

Fixed it for you...

toolboxluis00200
16 September 2015, 22:32
Lol good one

Pyzik
17 September 2015, 05:03
While you are getting all this stuff done I would definitely look into/ask your guy about how to register those two other names as trademark names. Ask about how to register them as a DBA under the LLC name. Later on up the road you will be glad you did.

Wow, thanks for all the info! I did realize last night after posting here that a Trade Name is essentially a DBA. I was getting tired and getting myself confused. Making it more complicated than it really seems to be.

That's why I am trying to figure things out smart now, to make things easier down the road.

What I am thinking is one LLC that will be on the FFL. Then the stippling name "Grip Alterations" as a Trade Name as well as "Damage Photos" as a Trade Name down the road should anything come of that. Emails and pages under respective trade names. I think that is the best plan of action.

That's my planning. I am currently working with a local FFL and working under him at the moment.

alamo5000
17 September 2015, 07:05
I still think zeek guns is good. It's sort of a play on your name.