PDA

View Full Version : 14.5" Upper Decisions

Farva
17 September 2015, 00:09
So I have a 14.5" BCM Middy with a pinned and welded Battlecomp muzzle device with a fixed front sight post. I want to change the hanguard out to a free float handguard, more than likely a KMR, and I am faced with a few choices and issues. As it sits right now it just has the standard Magpul MOE handguard. All options will include shaving down the FSP into a "lowpro" gas block.

One major issue that I will run into is the pinned muzzle device. In order to get the standard barrel nut off I will need to remove the FSP/gas block but that cant be removed until the muzzle device is removed. I have never attempted to remove a pinned and welded muzzle device so I don't know how easy (if possible at all) it would be to drill out the pin to avoid damaging the threads on the barrel or if the muzzle device needs to but cut and broken off.

My main goal here, besides getting everything removed, is to not damage the threads of the barrel as much as possible.

Another option I could go with is, IF the barrel will need to be re-threaded regardless of what I do, to chop the barrel down to 11.5” (I choose that length because I have been wanting an 11.5”). But once again I don’t know how reliable cutting a 14.5 down to a 11.5 would be.
What do you guys think? Do I stick with the 14.5” and follow one of the above steps or cut the barrel down? If I cut it what is your idea of a reliable length if 11.5” wouldn’t be functional?

Update: the 14.5" rifle is on the left
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/17/705518b8ffd9ffca52e8804cd29c76c3.jpg

GOST
17 September 2015, 02:08
You will require a lot of work. You will have to drill the pin out of the muzzle device, shave down the FSP and then unpin the FSP for removal. A 14.5 middy cut down to 11.5 is not a good idea. My BCM middy will not lock back shooting Tula. I would not recommend shortening this barrel without opening the gas port, I don't recommend opening the gas port either so I would leave the barrel alone.

You may want to think about just shaving down your FSP and going with a Fortis REV II free float rail system. The Fortis uses a standard mil-spec barrel nut. If you used the Fortis you would only have to shave down your FSP. This rail system is available in both Keymod and M-LOK.

http://pull01.rainier.netdna-cdn.com/media/product/f4e/fortis-rev-2-0-free-float-rail-system-12-mlok-f-rev2-12-mlok-by-fortis-mfg-341.jpg

Farva
17 September 2015, 02:23
You will require a lot of work. You will have to drill the pin out of the muzzle device, shave down the FSP and then unpin the FSP for removal. A 14.5 middy cut down to 11.5 is not a good idea. My BCM middy will not lock back shooting Tula. I would not recommend shortening this barrel without opening the gas port, I don't recommend opening the gas port either so I would leave the barrel alone.

You may want to think about just shaving down your FSP and going with a Fortis REV II free float rail system. The Fortis uses a standard mil-spec barrel nut. If you used the Fortis you would only have to shave down your FSP. This rail system is available in both Keymod and M-LOK.

http://pull01.rainier.netdna-cdn.com/media/product/f4e/fortis-rev-2-0-free-float-rail-system-12-mlok-f-rev2-12-mlok-by-fortis-mfg-341.jpg

I figured there would be a lot of work involved. That being said Im not afraid of the work as im looking for this to be a little project anyway, my biggest concern was if I went the route of chopping the barrel would it be worth a crap. The fortis rail option is an attractive idea for sure as there would be little effort involved and I wouldn't have to destroy an expensive muzzle device

Slippers
17 September 2015, 02:35
The problem with chopping the barrel is the gas port being at the midlength position. An 11.5" midlength barrel would require a pretty big gas port to function, and probably be very temperamental.

GOST
17 September 2015, 03:44
The Fortis REV II 12" is 2.3 oz heavier and 0.04" larger in diameter than the 13" KMR.

Farva
17 September 2015, 04:05
The problem with chopping the barrel is the gas port being at the midlength position. An 11.5" midlength barrel would require a pretty big gas port to function, and probably be very temperamental.
just how I like my women and weather, temperamental [BD]

The Fortis REV II 12" is 2.3 oz heavier and 0.04" larger in diameter than the 13" KMR.
that negligible difference then, and the mlok rev 2 looks sexy

RiverRat
17 September 2015, 04:16
I agree with the folks discouraging you from cutting that barrel down. As as been pointed out, you'll have to open the port if you do. That's usually an iterative process, gradually increasing the port size. Unless you have an SBR lower to run function tests to know when to stop, it seems like a bad idea.

As far as removing the muzzle device, yeah it can be done. Getting centered on the pin through the weld is iffy. I suspect you'll want to drill out the part of the pin residing in the comp, spin the comp off, the clean up the remaining part of the pin when you have a clear view. Lots of work, little benefit unless you hate the Battlecomp.

You might look at the Samson/Rainier Evolution while you're checking out the Fortis. I've had zero problems with mine, through I know that some folks have (unproven?) concerns about the mounting system. There's another system out there that mounts like a Fortis, too. If I can remember who makes it, I'll drop in to mention it.

Farva
17 September 2015, 04:22
I agree with the folks discouraging you from cutting that barrel down. As as been pointed out, you'll have to open the port if you do. That's usually an iterative process, gradually increasing the port size. Unless you have an SBR lower to run function tests to know when to stop, it seems like a bad idea.

As far as removing the muzzle device, yeah it can be done. Getting centered on the pin through the weld is iffy. I suspect you'll want to drill out the part of the pin residing in the comp, spin the comp off, the clean up the remaining part of the pin when you have a clear view. Lots of work, little benefit unless you hate the Battlecomp.

You might look at the Samson/Rainier Evolution while you're checking out the Fortis. I've had zero problems with mine, through I know that some folks have (unproven?) concerns about the mounting system. There's another system out there that mounts like a Fortis, too. If I can remember who makes it, I'll drop in to mention it.

I appreciate it. I know Midwest Industries makes a few rails that utalizwe the standard barrel nut. I do have an SBR lower but if its going to be as much as hassle as everyone say it will be ill pass. I wasn't dead set on chopping the barrel I was just keeping an open mind to the idea. I like the battlecomp but wouldn't mind adding an AAC suppressor mount later on when I get my can.

Mecha_Arms
17 September 2015, 08:03
The Centurion Arms C4 rails also use the standard barrel nut.

nijikon84
17 September 2015, 08:15
Definitely do not chop that barrel down to 11.5", that would only give the barrel about 1.7" of dwell time.

Salient had a Rifle Length 14.5" which was only 1.3" of dwell time. Didn't work because their new barrels are Intermediate Length 14.5"s which have 2.7" of dwell time.

Rock Creek makes a 12.5" Middie, I personally wouldn't go lower than that. It could possibly render the barrel not shootable which would be a damn shame for a solid barrel.

Uffdaphil
17 September 2015, 08:57
I've tried the shaved FSP with Fortis and Centurian, but if doing again I would leave the FSP and use the cut-out extended C4 rail. In future I'm sticking with 16" or SBRs to avoid the hassles.*

Former11B
17 September 2015, 09:21
Would buying a new barrel, and saving that one for a later build be an option?

Pyzik
17 September 2015, 10:23
I was in your shoes last year.
14.5 LW BCM Middy, A2 sight, pinned comp.

Either go with a rail that utilizes a MILSPEC nut (and shave the FSB) or sell the barrel assembly and get what you want.

alamo5000
17 September 2015, 10:25
just how I like my women and weather, temperamental [BD]

Good thing g you enjoy that because if you didn't you'd be completely screwed.

Farva
17 September 2015, 12:26
Would buying a new barrel, and saving that one for a later build be an option?

This is always an option to. I just have this 14.5" rifle sitting around and I want to change it up a bit so I've been thinking of what I can do.

Farva
17 September 2015, 12:36
How long has the REV 2.0 been out? Can't seem to find much on the interwebs about it other than the info from fortis themselves. No videos or reviews, barely any pictures too

gatordev
17 September 2015, 14:12
If you are able to shave the FSP down enough while it's still attached to the rifle, you can usually take off the barrel nut. I didn't do the work myself, but I have a shaved FSP that was able to have a RIS II nut fit over it.

Dstrbdmedic167
17 September 2015, 14:13
How long has the REV 2.0 been out? Can't seem to find much on the interwebs about it other than the info from fortis themselves. No videos or reviews, barely any pictures too

Been out for a while. What info are you looking in it?

Farva
17 September 2015, 15:00
Been out for a while. What info are you looking in it?

Now that you ask that it does sound kinda silly. I'm not sure lol I guess just how people like it, fit and finish, durability, over all likeness of the rail etc. the stats listed on their site are defiantly attractive. Just looking for some end user feedback I suppose.

Dstrbdmedic167
17 September 2015, 15:06
Now that you ask that it does sound kinda silly. I'm not sure lol I guess just how people like it, fit and finish, durability, over all likeness of the rail etc. the stats listed on their site are defiantly attractive. Just looking for some end user feedback I suppose.

I don't have one but everyone I know that does loves them. Fortis makes a great handguard that compliments any build. If it's on your radar I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up.

SINNER
17 September 2015, 15:48
I have 3 of their rails currently. 0 issues with any.

http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q638/DonaldFink1/150fe90b-34bd-4b77-b3db-b8259e2bd975_zps8rhhd60v.jpg

Farva
17 September 2015, 19:07
Might just have to bite the bullet on one then!

mustangfreek
19 September 2015, 05:40
I have 3 of their rails currently. 0 issues with any.
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q638/DonaldFink1/150fe90b-34bd-4b77-b3db-b8259e2bd975_zps8rhhd60v.jpg

7" rail? im assuming with what length barrel? thnks

Farva
20 September 2015, 16:48
Anyone around here have pictures of the 12" rev 2? In keymod or mlok. I haven't really decided which I wanna go with. All my other rail are keymod, so accessories will transfer over. But I've also wanted to try mlok and it looks sexy AF so kicking around that too. Wish the 14" version would work out but I think it'll cover to much of the muzzle device, only slightly though.

SINNER
20 September 2015, 17:01
7" rail? im assuming with what length barrel? thnks

Yeah 7" carbine with a 8" .300 BO Aero barrel.

Farva
31 October 2015, 21:13
Ok so today I did a little garage gun smithing and changed up the 14.5" some. Cut off the FSP and shaved it down to a "low pro" gas block. Cut off the delta ring, bayonet lug etc etc and installed a 14" Fortis Rev 2. Now it doesn't look terrible. I'm going to leave it laying out over the next few days and see if I like it or if I want to go with the next size shorter. In the meantime what say you WEVO?
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/31/59643723664324e5b6d6d6afb1a63e45.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/31/aa59273559963ac98e6aab8601a553ea.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/31/aff905cfa7d065f81fc7d8bb2eb228b5.jpg

Farva
31 October 2015, 21:15
Side note: Magpul's MLOK hand stop kit and rail panels are grippy AF!!! They damn near tear your hands up!

Dstrbdmedic167
31 October 2015, 21:16
if you're going for the tucked look it looks great. I assume no suppressor will be mounted? otherwise looks great!

Farva
31 October 2015, 21:31
if you're going for the tucked look it looks great. I assume no suppressor will be mounted? otherwise looks great!

If I mount a suppressor down the line I'll have to break off the battle comp or have the pin and weld drilled out. Either way there is gun smithing in its future for that to work. It'll be a while but still not out of the question.

Dstrbdmedic167
31 October 2015, 21:45
If I mount a suppressor down the line I'll have to break off the battle comp or have the pin and weld drilled out. Either way there is gun smithing in its future for that to work. It'll be a while but still not out of the question.

The rails ID isn't big enough to tuck a suppressor. I like it as it is but if you're wanting too d that this will not be a finished product... (IE rail that will work for that)

DutyUse
31 October 2015, 21:58
I think it looks good Farva, and if it's shooting good I'd leave it alone. If you want to run a suppressor down the line id personally just build another upper dedicated to it then put in a lot of work trying to modify this one.

Either way nice build bro

Farva
1 November 2015, 02:34
The rails ID isn't big enough to tuck a suppressor. I like it as it is but if you're wanting too d that this will not be a finished product... (IE rail that will work for that)
Yeah I knew this wouldn't work for a can. More than likely it'll stay this way.

I think it looks good Farva, and if it's shooting good I'd leave it alone. If you want to run a suppressor down the line id personally just build another upper dedicated to it then put in a lot of work trying to modify this one.

Thanks! I'm working on a dedicated 11.5" suppressor upper as we speak good sir 😁

Pyzik
1 November 2015, 05:45

This.

Farva, looks good to me!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

alamo5000
1 November 2015, 05:52
It definitely looks good as it is.

Farva
1 November 2015, 18:29
Sweet. Thanks fellas! Guess I'll get to painting the rail to match the rest of it

Farva
2 November 2015, 02:33
Got the rail painted.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/3b507c08f06b7cdea1f1f5888317c0ab.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/c1f59a79512b6472a3f72ee10f99a16d.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/9a990a6f148778aafa6d4246954fc029.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/eb17fff4c228c18b9af121ac655c558c.jpg

DutyUse
2 November 2015, 03:35
Looks like you've been a busy boy. Looks good bro

Pyzik
2 November 2015, 03:41
I am liking it!

Joelski
2 November 2015, 03:46
Strong work, bro! Did you stencil that camo, or freehand it? What colors/pattern is it?

Farva
2 November 2015, 04:06
Strong work, bro! Did you stencil that camo, or freehand it? What colors/pattern is it?

Thanks brother! It's all free hand, quite simple actually. Just used spray paint. The crylon camo colors. Started with a base layer of tan then took a sponge torn up a bit (sea sponge works best due to the lack of uniformity) and sponged on the brown and green and a little black back into it. I was hoping the rail would match the lower once I put it back together it looks like it does pretty good. I'll get a shot of it in the wild later today.

Farva
2 November 2015, 04:12
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/7ca20ef12f306e3adb1547a6aa54c741.jpg

Joelski
2 November 2015, 06:09
You answered my next questions. Thanks, man!

Joelski
2 November 2015, 06:15
Diggin' that REV all painted up! I want to do this to my M4-ish, I just gotta work up the nerve to paint over my new MK4 rail!

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af93/Joelski144/ARs%20and%20Glocks/RA-M4/SMR_MK4.jpg (http://s997.photobucket.com/user/Joelski144/media/ARs%20and%20Glocks/RA-M4/SMR_MK4.jpg.html)

Farva
2 November 2015, 09:56
Diggin' that REV all painted up! I want to do this to my M4-ish, I just gotta work up the nerve to paint over my new MK4 rail!

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af93/Joelski144/ARs%20and%20Glocks/RA-M4/SMR_MK4.jpg (http://s997.photobucket.com/user/Joelski144/media/ARs%20and%20Glocks/RA-M4/SMR_MK4.jpg.html)

Haha it's not all that bad brother! If you don't like it just spray it with degreaser or acetone and try it again! Or just spray over it again. It's a lot of fun once you get started.

Pyzik
2 November 2015, 10:40
Haha it's not all that bad brother! If you don't like it just spray it with degreaser or acetone and try it again! Or just spray over it again. It's a lot of fun once you get started.
Or brake cleaner.
But your part will never be black again....

I say bust out the spray paint.

Farva
2 November 2015, 10:43
Or brake cleaner.
But your part will never be black again....

I say bust out the spray paint.

Yeah brake cleaner is what I use.

Joelski
2 November 2015, 12:19

LOL! I'm not afraid to paint it, other than getting over the whole "you paid how much for that and did what to it??" My head does that to me with everything until it gets that first ding. :D

Farva
2 November 2015, 12:20
Haha I understand that bro!