PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor input needed

DutyUse
19 September 2015, 11:22
I've been looking at suppressor's for awhile now, and I'm finally in a position to make a purchase. There is a tremendous amount of collective knowledge here at WEVO and I'm hoping to tap into it for advice and recommendations.

I know I don't want a paperweight... and like most guys I'd like to make the most of a short utensil. If I had to rank it i'd say priorities would be 1.)Durability, 2.) Weight/Compactness 3.) DB reduction 4.) Easy QD system for use with multiple uppers 5.) Cost

I'm only looking at 5.56 & cans rated to at least 10.3". So far on my list i've noted the AAC mini, Silencerco Saker K, Griffin Armament M4SDK & the Surefire Mini... but I'm always open to other suggestions.

Thanks all

Jerry R
19 September 2015, 11:36
For rifles, I got locked into AAC early on based on multiple mounts; so that is all the experience I have. I will add that I am not unhappy with my choices. I do not have their "mini". I would suggest that you might want to add POI shift somewhere in your priorities - some are better than others at maintaining a close POI when on or off. Also one thing I wish I had done when I was only looking at 5.56 cans was to consider a 30 caliber can. DB ratings will be close, but I don't know if there is one that will meet your other criteria. At some point you might want to suppress a larger caliber and one can would do it for you. I ended up with three suppressors for rifle work when one would have been sufficient. Sorry I can't advise you on a specific choice, but I hope the other considerations will be of benefit.

alamo5000
19 September 2015, 11:52
I went through the whole shebang not long ago and now I am almost in possession of my first can. All that said I am no where near an expert in the area, but the list for me started with the mounting system. I have heard numerous stories about those ratchet systems wearing out over time. I am not sure if it's true or not but more than one source said the same thing. It might be one out of 1000 but it is what it is. Your list has the mount and durability listed separately. Those two things should be one in the same if you ask me. And if you are going to be constantly taking it on and off and swapping it around that then becomes even more important.

I am a huge fan of simple is better. The less moving parts there are the better if you ask me. I pretty much settled on the Recce 5 because of that although that new one they have with that QD mount looks promising. With the Recce 5 you have a very solid 2 point mount and if say later on I get a Recce 7 (lets not kid ourselves about the if part) then I can use that same mount. In other words I can put the Recce 7 on any 5.56 gun I might have so there will be minimal fuss.

I did go with a dedicated 5.56 can because DB reduction mattered to me more than having more than one can. I was of the school that I would rather have something dedicated for the job.

DutyUse
19 September 2015, 11:59
For rifles, I got locked into AAC early on based on multiple mounts; so that is all the experience I have. I will add that I am not unhappy with my choices. I do not have their "mini". I would suggest that you might want to add POI shift somewhere in your priorities - some are better than others at maintaining a close POI when on or off. Also one thing I wish I had done when I was only looking at 5.56 cans was to consider a 30 caliber can. DB ratings will be close, but I don't know if there is one that will meet your other criteria. At some point you might want to suppress a larger caliber and one can would do it for you. I ended up with three suppressors for rifle work when one would have been sufficient. Sorry I can't advise you on a specific choice, but I hope the other considerations will be of benefit.

Thanks Jerry. I hadn't considered POI shift, but that certainly makes sense. We've already budgeted getting a dedicated 762 "twin" of whatever we wind up with...but a big priority for this one is a compact can for our SBRs/pistols. My wife is also a shooter, and I'm hoping our kids will be too, so a light and "handy" suppressor just makes sense for us as a family.

. All that said I am no where near an expert in the area, but the list for me started with the mounting system. I have heard numerous stories about those ratchet systems wearing out over time.

Do you mean like the system AAC uses? I hadn't heard of this, has anyone else had this experience?

Farva
19 September 2015, 12:09
I'm looking at the market as well. I've got my eyes on the AAC mini 4. I know some people have mixed feelings about AAC but my cousin has multiple AAC cans and not a single issue. The mini 4 only adds 2" to the over all length of the rifle I believe.

alamo5000
19 September 2015, 12:22
Do you mean like the system AAC uses? I hadn't heard of this, has anyone else had this experience?

I don't know which manufacturer it was... but I found a lot of information online. One guy had a long write up about it on some blog. He was all stoked to be in the silencer game but like a year later the mounting system started to fail. I will see if I can find it.

It was a long time ago when I saw it but from what I can recall he was using that one silencer on everything so he mounted and unmounted it A LOT which did help lead to failure. I think with normal use it would probably be fine. Stories like that did shape my personal feelings however I cannot speak from any experience whatsoever.

I think it will be pretty unlikely that you will 'shoot out' a can unless you just shoot an insane amount of full auto, but it's a lot more likely that something like the mount will fail.

GOST
19 September 2015, 12:27
Like Jerry said I would consider a 7.62 suppressor. The decibel increase is very little, a lot of the time as little as a 4 decibel increase when using a 7.62 rather than a 5.56. The 2 suppressors that I'm deciding between are the AAC SDN-6 and SilencerCo Omega.

cjd3
19 September 2015, 13:34
Like Jerry said I would consider a 7.62 suppressor. The decibel increase is very little, a lot of the time as little as a 4 decibel increase when using a 7.62 rather than a 5.56. The 2 suppressors that I'm deciding between are the AAC SDN-6 and SilencerCo Omega.

I too went the 7.62 route. I plan on building a 300 BLK rifle next year, and I am also pondering on threading my hunting rifles for use. What I really like about the Omega is that is comes both with the QD mount, and a threaded mount. For my bolt action rifles, I'll use the threaded back on the can. For my AR-15 platforms, I will have the can ready with the QD mount. I could get better numbers and buy a 5.56 end cap and place it on the can, but I'd hate to have a brain fart, and forget to replace it when I put it on a .30 cal rifle.

DutyUse
19 September 2015, 15:35
I think we'll probably end up going with the AAC mini 4. I just can't justify spending the extra $ for the surefire.

Have y'all had pretty good experience with the AAC QD system? Alamo's got me a bit nervous on it

Dstrbdmedic167
19 September 2015, 15:49
I think we'll probably end up going with the AAC mini 4. I just can't justify spending the extra $ for the surefire.

Have y'all had pretty good experience with the AAC QD system? Alamo's got me a bit nervous on it

I haven't had any issues with mine and i've had mine about a year. UW has several and I'm sure he can chime in as well with his experience. I'm sure someone, somewhere has had an issue but what company doesn't have a issue with their product from time to time. Things happen and you only hear the bad things on the internet.

Jerry R
19 September 2015, 16:17

Yes, it is the AAC ratchet mount. Per AAC's Customer Service (not an exact quote) --- Depress the suppressor's ratchet "button" when installing and removing the suppressor - you have to depress it to take the can off; but pressing it while putting the can on helps the ratchet "teeth" last longer (or indefinitely if you do it religiously).

tact
19 September 2015, 16:21
I prefer Silencerco over AAC myself.

UWone77
19 September 2015, 16:44
I own a lot of AAC Cans. Maybe it's just me, but I love my AAC cans. Yeah AAC has lagged behind the times in innovation and customer service, no doubt about that. But we're talking about all inconel baffle stacks, the same technology, virtually everyone is using. For the money, AAC is still a good choice for me.

A mini-4 would not be my first choice for a can though. Not hearing safe, basically keeps your shorty short, and good for helping with flash as the length doesn't help suppress very well.

As for Surefire, I have a Legacy and 2 SOCOM cans, they're all overrated for how much they cost.

alamo5000
19 September 2015, 17:28
Alamo's got me a bit nervous on it

Let me reiterate the point that I have never owned a suppressor [BD] Don't let me get in the way of your choice. All I was saying is why I went the route and chose what I chose and why I didn't get something else.

I am sure there are tens of thousands if not more people who never had a problem with that kind of mount. It's not like it was tagged as some sort of systematic problem. Like I said, on the one case that I recall reading about when I was shopping the guy was swapping the suppressor out an insane amount of times from the sound of it and that was his result. If you aren't going to be constantly doing that then I am sure they are fine.

I am a fan of simplicity. But like I say... it's always better to ask all this stuff BEFORE you buy.

alamo5000
19 September 2015, 17:33
For what it's worth read this article... make sure to go all the way down to the January 2015 update....

I think this is one of the one's I read....

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/08/foghorn/silencer-review-advanced-armament-corp-aac-762-sdn-6/

VIPER 237
19 September 2015, 18:17
Yeah mini cans aren't the best idea for a first can, unless you have a longer barrel and are trying to save on over all length. They are are concussion reducers than anything. I would look highly at a Recce 5 from Griffin armament, the Saker or Omega from Silencerco, or a Socom from Surefire before the AAC. Dead Air seems to have a great design but I do not have any hands on experience with it.

I own a lot of AAC Cans. Maybe it's just me, but I love my AAC cans. Yeah AAC has lagged behind the times in innovation and customer service, no doubt about that. But we're talking about all inconel baffle stacks, the same technology, virtually everyone is using. For the money, AAC is still a good choice for me.

A mini-4 would not be my first choice for a can though. Not hearing safe, basically keeps your shorty short, and good for helping with flash as the length doesn't help suppress very well.

As for Surefire, I have a Legacy and 2 SOCOM cans, they're all overrated for how much they cost.

DutyUse
19 September 2015, 19:17
Thanks everyone. And thanks for sharing the article Alamo. Sorry wasn't trying to call you out, thought you might have read or heard of a wide spread problem.

In a perfect world I'd love to have a 14oz shorty can that was in the 30s dB reduction.. The purpose I see this one serving isn't to prevent the need of hearing protection, but just tame the noise/blast/flash while keeping it as light as possible and more importantly so the kids wouldn't be so intimated when their around or shooting.

VIPER 237
19 September 2015, 19:22
In a perfect world I'd love to have a 14oz shorty can that was in the 30s dB reduction.. The purpose I see this one serving isn't to prevent the need of hearing protection, but just tame the noise/blast/flash while keeping it as light as possible and more importantly so the kids wouldn't be so intimated when their around or shooting.

http://www.griffinarmament.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=37592 ;)

DutyUse
19 September 2015, 19:33
http://www.griffinarmament.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=37592 ;)

wow that wasn't even on my radar. 1oz heavier then the mini and 6.2" vs 5.25, but 10db more reduction?? Whats the catch? I'm not super familiar with Griffin to be honest. This suppressor will be passed around more uppers then a motley crue roadie, would i have any problems with wear on the QD?

alamo5000
19 September 2015, 19:51
Thanks everyone. And thanks for sharing the article Alamo. Sorry wasn't trying to call you out, thought you might have read or heard of a wide spread problem.

No no. Not at all taken like that.

wow that wasn't even on my radar. 1oz heavier then the mini and 6.2" vs 5.25, but 10db more reduction?? Whats the catch? I'm not super familiar with Griffin to be honest. This suppressor will be passed around more uppers then a motley crue roadie, would i have any problems with wear on the QD?

The Griffin Recce 5 is the one I bought. I am hoping it gets out of jail in a month or so. It's been about 4 months. I don't think you will have problems with the Recce 5 or the M4SD. Maybe GA will show up here and offer advice. I would think between those two if you are going to swap back and forth among many different guns I would go with the M4SD.

There are several threads around here about GA. There are also a bunch of YouTube videos as well.

alamo5000
19 September 2015, 19:57
http://www.griffinarmament.com/M4SD-II-5-56mm-Silencer-p/gam4sdii.htm

Click on the third image to see how it attaches.

Apparently there are several versions of the M4SD. You just have to read up on them to see the differences.

DutyUse
19 September 2015, 19:57
No no. Not at all taken like that.

The Griffin Recce 5 is the one I bought. I am hoping it gets out of jail in a month or so. It's been about 4 months. I don't think you will have problems with the Recce 5 or the M4SD. Maybe GA will show up here and offer advice. I would think between those two if you are going to swap back and forth among many different guns I would go with the M4SD.

There are several threads around here about GA. There are also a bunch of YouTube videos as well.

Who did you order through? silencer shop is out of stock

alamo5000
19 September 2015, 20:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNcO3ou9a8g

That is a video link to one of the M4SD variants. You can see the attachment demonstrated. I personally think you will have a hell of hard time wearing that mount out.

alamo5000
19 September 2015, 20:05
Clear your inbox DutyUse... [:D]

GOST
19 September 2015, 21:06
In a perfect world I'd love to have a 14oz shorty can that was in the 30s dB reduction..

Can be made even shorter and lighter by changing out the end cap.

https://silencerco.com/products/omega/

DutyUse
19 September 2015, 21:14
Can be made even shorter and lighter by changing out the end cap.

https://silencerco.com/products/omega/

Wow that's pretty dope. Damn you guys making me think to much

GOST
19 September 2015, 21:20
End cap available in both 7.62 and 5.56.

http://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/center-fire-rifle/products/omega-flat-cap

cjd3
19 September 2015, 22:19
Wow that's pretty dope. Damn you guys making me think to much
Yup, this site is the worst thing that's happened to me in the past year. I usually try to keep my taxes low, but I've voluntarily had to paid more taxes.

GOST
19 September 2015, 22:57
Yup, this site is the worst thing that's happened to me in the past year. I usually try to keep my taxes low, but I've voluntarily had to paid more taxes.

We like to consider ourselves an improved Economic Stimulus Act.

Mecha_Arms
19 September 2015, 23:19
In the last year or two there have been a lot of really nice new suppressors that have come out. As you're doing your research, make sure you're reading info that's as new as possible.

The Omega is supposed to be awesome, and from what I've read (no first hand experience) the new Sig cans are supposed to be nice as well. Dead Air and Rugged are supposed to be great, and the Griffin cans are all really well liked.

I just came into a good deal on a SilencerCo can that I had planned to get the Griffin "equivalent" of, and while I know I'll be happy with the choice, knowing that the Griffin is supposed to be better will bug me. I'll probably end up getting the Griffin later on as well.

GaSwamper
20 September 2015, 06:46
This to me is one of the toughest choices you can make for your rifle. There are so many good cans on the market you can bury yourself in research and still not have a clear winner. I don't really see the point in the mini cans with several of the top brands putting out a can that is at or under a pound, I know a pound sounds like a lot but my F1 is 15oz and really don't see much of a difference with it on or off. Speaking of on or off I kinda wish I would have just built it as a direct thread, I no longer want to shoot the Wolvie with it off and probly wont be shooting it unsuppressed anymore. I really would like to try the Omega, I don't think I've saw a bad review yet and the specs are there. Dead Air has caught my eye, they just look quality, and of course I really like Griffins products. Of course don't forget about the Form 1 route and make your own, love mine and its still holding up. It's a fairly easy project but rewarding, especially when your at the range and someone asks what can you're running and you can say " actually it's one of mine" :)

gatordev
20 September 2015, 07:39
DutyUse, two things I'd recommend:

1. Don't worry about Silencer Shop being out of stock. While there are other deals to be had out there, generally SS is the consistent price winner. With that, they have an insane volume and get new stock in all the time. If a manufacturer is actually shipping a product, SS will often get new product within a couple of weeks of going out of stock.

2. Poke around on Youtube for Silencer Shop's demos for sound suppression comparison. I know dB isn't your primary goal (it wasn't mine either), but if you look at SS's videos, then at least you can get as close a comparison for real world numbers as possible, instead of relying on manufacturer numbers which might be...who knows. Yes not all the videos are shot on the same day with the same rifle, but their process is the same and generally rifle cans can be compared. It's just a nice bit of extra info.

Also, MAC has started a suppressor comparison video series that you can find on YT.

Farva
20 September 2015, 10:29
I'm right there with DutyUse in his want for as short as can as possible. That's why I too was looking at the mini4. When I was looking into this a while back I kinda came to the conclusion that no 5.56 suppressor is truly "hearing safe" since your still shooting super sonic. That being said the recce5 looks promising. There's so many options out there with so much research and buying a can is such a big commitment, it can be a daunting task.

DutyUse
20 September 2015, 11:00
I'm right there with DutyUse in his want for as short as can as possible. That's why I too was looking at the mini4. When I was looking into this a while back I kinda came to the conclusion that no 5.56 suppressor is truly "hearing safe" since your still shooting super sonic. That being said the recce5 looks promising. There's so many options out there with so much research and buying a can is such a big commitment, it can be a daunting task.

I agree.. There's so many good products and enough information out there to make your head spin. That said I'll probably take everyone's advice and get a do all can like the omega. When my wallet recoups I'll take another hard look at the mini 4... I think aesthetically they look great, especially on SBRs, and would lessen their blast to a more enjoyable level.

Thanks all! Everyone has really helped a ton and I truly appreciate it. Seems like 2016 is going to be my year for NFA :)

mustangfreek
20 September 2015, 14:51
Not that i have anything good to add, as i dont have any cans..but have researched it and for me and many the AAC cans are the way to go, if i ever get there a 762-SDN6 for a short can, and for a little less the 762-SD is another choice-but is longer.