PDA

View Full Version : Any Federal LEO's here?

jvencius
3 February 2009, 08:38
Background:
B.A. Russian, Minor Military Studies (had to get something for my ROTC courses), 70-ish post-bacc credits with an overall ~3.4 GPA, 3.9 post-bacc
~ 6 1/2 years active duty AF--honorable discharge
Held a TS/CNWDI clearance for most of that active duty time--getting it took just about most of my first AD year
Nothing otherwise disqualifying--I've NEVER used any illegal drugs EVER, US citizen, never been arrested (1 speeding ticket 9 years ago)

I have applied to medical school for the class starting this fall but since my prospects don't look all that good (really don't know why...) how competitive do you think I'd be if I were to apply to a Federal LE agency (DEA/FBI/et. al.)? I was originally going to apply after doing my initial service commitment but stuck around a little longer and went back to college for a while after I got out.

Federale
8 February 2009, 17:01
Nobody has a crystal ball, therefore, the only way for you to find out is to apply.

People get hired with all sorts of backgrounds. If you're interested and none of the automatic disqualifiers apply to you, then apply to the agency/agencies that interest you. A job at the DEA is not like a job at the FBI, so you're going to do a lot better if you figure out where your interests lie because "Federal LE" is amazingly broad.

Keep in mind that the applicant pool for Federal jobs probably just got a lot deeper considering there are lots of people in the right age group who just got laid off and they know that many Federal LE agencies are one of the few places where they're still hiring.

ZDL
8 February 2009, 17:22
FBI stated they are hiring 2500 new people. 850 of those are special agents. From what you provided you sound like a good candidate based upon what I know of LE in general.

Good luck.

Fr0ntal0b0t0my
13 March 2009, 08:06
Good morning, the Border Patrol is in full hiring mode and with your interest in the medical field as well you may be a good candidate for BORSTAR (Border Search Trauma & Rescue). This of course after a couple years beating the bush on SW Border of course...Or do you have any aviation training? CBP Air & Marine hires Pilots (1500hr min) and Sensor Operators. Good luck!