PDA

View Full Version : 10.5" 5.56 w/pinned Spartan3

fairlanericky
19 September 2015, 19:40
As the title says, I was wanting to SBR my rifle but as UW has pointed out, Form 1s in Wa. are going to be awhile.
I'm wanting to keep the OAL to 16"+.

It seems the most viable option will be to pin the Spartan3. My questions are, 1) Should I have my 14.7" carbine gas barrel cut to 10.5" and pin the can? 2) Do I buy a new 10.5" barrel, pin the can and swap the barrels? 3) Build a new rifle since the Cerakote job will be tough to duplicate? 4) Which would be better with a pinned can, carbine or pistol gas length?

Appreciate all points of view.

Ric

UWone77
19 September 2015, 19:57
Honestly, if I were you I would avoid pinning and welding a suppressor.

I would either wait till the next legislative session for them to fix the verbage on SBR's. Laurie Jinkins looks like she's going to leave the Judiciary Committee, so she won't be there to block it.

Or... I'd just get a factory SBR transferred to your local dealer and Form 4 it.

fairlanericky
19 September 2015, 22:37
Honestly, if I were you I would avoid pinning and welding a suppressor.

I would either wait till the next legislative session for them to fix the verbage on SBR's. Laurie Jinkins looks like she's going to leave the Judiciary Committee, so she won't be there to block it.

Or... I'd just get a factory SBR transferred to your local dealer and Form 4 it.

UW, you're not the first person to suggest not pinning the suppressor. I understand the possibility of moving the suppressor to multiple hosts but if that's not my intent, why not pin it?
I'm new to suppressors so I'm just trying to learn.

Ric

UWone77
20 September 2015, 06:32
UW, you're not the first person to suggest not pinning the suppressor. I understand the possibility of moving the suppressor to multiple hosts but if that's not my intent, why not pin it?
I'm new to suppressors so I'm just trying to learn.

Ric

Depends on your shooting schedule I suppose.

The way I look at it, your standard all inconel baffle stack is going to outlast your barrel, several times over. What happens when your barrel burns out? Gas Port erodes too much?

Cleaning the barrel? I keep thinking of stuck patches in the baffles.

Also, here's a question, I know some manufacturers make thread on cans designed for pin and welds like the one you're looking at. Does that void the warranty? What if you need warranty work done or have a baffle strike? Are they going to unpin it and pin and weld a new one on for you?

I know waiting sucks, but in the long run, I think a pin and welded can would too.

Mecha_Arms
20 September 2015, 09:04
UW's 100% right.

If you're concerned about not being able to build it as an SBR, why not go with a pistol configuration?

fairlanericky
20 September 2015, 09:27

The way I look at it, your standard all inconel baffle stack is going to outlast your barrel, several times over. What happens when your barrel burns out? Gas Port erodes too much?

Also, here's a question, I know some manufacturers make thread on cans designed for pin and welds like the one you're looking at. Does that void the warranty? What if you need warranty work done or have a baffle strike? Are they going to unpin it and pin and weld a new one on for you?

I know waiting sucks, but in the long run, I think a pin and welded can would too.

Ok, now this is the kind of info I wasn't thinking about. Thanks UW. I do tend to shoot once a week, mostly pistol but I do run about 50-100 rounds through the rifle most weeks.

This is why I like this forum, ask questions, get some good answers and other points of view.

Ric

fairlanericky
20 September 2015, 09:30
UW's 100% right.

If you're concerned about not being able to build it as an SBR, why not go with a pistol configuration?

I'd thought about this option, but not very hard. It may be the best option actually. The only thing I don't like about "factory" SBR's is the damn cost. Most of them are just too damn expensive.

Ric

UWone77
20 September 2015, 09:37
I'd thought about this option, but not very hard. It may be best option actually. The only thing I don't like about "factory" SBR's is the damn cost. Most of them are just too damn expensive.

Ric

You can be more patient than me, and look for a Colt 6933. G&R Tactical has them for $999 when they do have them in stock. BCM also has factory SBR's in the 1299 range, or just use a KAK Shockwave and Pistol that thing until the Form 1's get corrected.

fairlanericky
20 September 2015, 10:47
You can be more patient than me, and look for a Colt 6933. G&R Tactical has them for $999 when they do have them in stock. BCM also has factory SBR's in the 1299 range, or just use a KAK Shockwave and Pistol that thing until the Form 1's get corrected.

There's a certain aesthetic I like when it comes to AR's and that Colt doesn't do it for me. The DDM4 Mk18 like you mentioned in another post is more to my liking. I've been on the RA site adjusting my wish list for a pistol build and bought the upper they have on sale as a start to that end. I'm in the same boat as most, having to put money aside for firearms as it becomes available. Again, thanks for the added insight.

Ric

Former11B
1 October 2015, 06:52

I have a thread on can and tried to take the "quick" route and run a patch through the barrel. Guess what? Not only did the patch get stuck in the can, but the rifling unscrewed the patch holder which also got stuck in the can. It took several hours to play "shake it loose" to get it out of the can, which I was able to remove from the rifle. Can't imagine doing that with it welded to the barrel.

Also, what happens when you shoot out the barrel?

I was at Innovative Arm's shop about a year ago and Phillip, the owner, had probably 20-30 10.5" Colt uppers with welded on 5.56 cans belonging to a Nuke plant security company. He was removing every single one of them because of cleaning/maintenance/rust issues because they were unable to sufficiently clean them. After training, with heating and cooling cycles, and patrolling in the rain....they just couldn't maintain the equipment properly.

NO THANKS!

GRIFFIN ARMAMENT
19 October 2015, 18:41

There is absolutely nothing wrong with pinning and welding a can. As "permanent" as people think this is its something a decent gunsmith could dismount in a few minutes. So when your barrel burns out drill it out take it off and weld it on the new one. No big deal. As for cleaning it, pull a snake through it like anything else, or swabs its no big deal. We've done it many times on our pinned 11.5" upper at the shop.

Pinning and welding does not void the warranty. That's why the Spartan 3 comes pre-drilled from the factory for this option.

Thanks UWONE77 for bringing up these concerns. I've addressed all of them.

Spartan 3's are sick. Here's mine on a 12.5 LMT MRP with Griffin Fail Safe Angle Sights.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11935017_10154278896409569_8518063959314207281_n.j pg?oh=91ec7f2dcea3f2ff688aa6bf4a5573dd&oe=56CE2D0F