PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a Sig P226

GR1M
20 September 2015, 11:15
Whats up everyone, been a long while since ive posted anything.

Im looking into stepping my pistol game up and looking into buying my wife and I his & her Sig P226s in 9mm. I hear mixed reviews on the new extractor set up. Anyone have any experiences with the newer P226s?

voodoo_man
20 September 2015, 11:53
Sig has had some QC issues recently with their newer guns.

That said, a buddy of mine recently got issued a p226 for a duty gun and he likes it.

gatordev
20 September 2015, 13:18
I have just over 600 rounds through my MK25, which isn't quite enough to say anything definitive. So far, though, it's been trouble-free. I do find it to be noticeably heavier than a striker-fired gun (pick your make of choice...I happen to run a G17, but I'm sure the others are similar). While I notice the increase in weight slightly while shooting, I find the increase in weight more noticeable when in a holster. Is it the end of the world? Of course not, but it's there. I bring this up because my wife complains about weight when shooting, so it might be applicable for you.

I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but I also have a P229R (circa 2010) that has over 3000 rounds through it. What I found to be the main issue/malfunction creator with it was not the actual extractor failing, but the extractor "body" getting gummed up and causing feed issues. Once identified, this is easily mitigated by popping the extractor out every 500-ish rounds or so and just cleaning off the extractor body. Once I started doing that, I've had zero issues (and I try to do a similar scheduled maintenance on my P226).

greenlineaz
20 September 2015, 14:34
I traded for a SIG 226 Dark Elite in 9mm about 6 months back. Very nice gun, but the rear sights were off and they were adjustable, and the extractor was cracked. I replaced it, and later traded back for what I had originally. I wold buy another, but at this time my VP9 is my focus.

I have experience with a 229 in 40, for whatever reason I can't miss with that gun. For my size of hand, I like the standard size SIG trigger, not the SRT one that was in the Dark Elite. I had some minor pinching.

MoxyDave
21 September 2015, 12:00
I owned an older P226. Never could get used to the double-single action trigger. I also found it rather heavy and kind of clunky to hold. It was accurate and reliable, I just didn't like it. Just my $.02

DutyUse
21 September 2015, 14:55
I owned an older P226. Never could get used to the double-single action trigger. I also found it rather heavy and kind of clunky to hold. It was accurate and reliable, I just didn't like it. Just my $.02

My brother in law's go-to-pistol is a p226. He swears by it, but from the couple hundred rounds I've shot threw it out here at the farm my experience/opinion is very similar to Dave's.

Battle Cock
21 September 2015, 15:38
My brother in law's go-to-pistol is a p226. He swears by it, but from the couple hundred rounds I've shot threw it out here at the farm my experience/opinion is very similar to Dave's.

Same here. I know people who love em, but I cant stand the triggers or the ergonomics. People often come to me for advice on gun purchases and I always recommend trigger time before a potential purchase if possible. A weapon can be near 100% reliable and very accurate but you can still hate the way it points and shoots.

I have just over 600 rounds through my MK25, which isn't quite enough to say anything definitive. So far, though, it's been trouble-free. I do find it to be noticeably heavier than a striker-fired gun (pick your make of choice...I happen to run a G17, but I'm sure the others are similar). While I notice the increase in weight slightly while shooting, I find the increase in weight more noticeable when in a holster. Is it the end of the world? Of course not, but it's there. I bring this up because my wife complains about weight when shooting, so it might be applicable for you.

I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but I also have a P229R (circa 2010) that has over 3000 rounds through it. What I found to be the main issue/malfunction creator with it was not the actual extractor failing, but the extractor "body" getting gummed up and causing feed issues. Once identified, this is easily mitigated by popping the extractor out every 500-ish rounds or so and just cleaning off the extractor body. Once I started doing that, I've had zero issues (and I try to do a similar scheduled maintenance on my P226).

I'm not real familiar with the internal components of the P226 (Or any Sigs, really) but I've heard that they are a bit over-engineered. In your experience, does that seem to be at all the case?

fairlanericky
21 September 2015, 18:10
I've got a 2013 226 Elite SAO and the only problem I've had was the sear spring pin worked itself out. This seems to have been an issue with some 2013 P-series pistols.
My 226 is my EDC and I shoot it every week. 3500+ rounds in the last 11 months and the only issue was the pin coming out, which Sig fixed for free, only cost me shipping.

Ric

JPLMedic
21 September 2015, 18:25
I have a P226 Tacops 2012, Have ~2000 rds through it. I absolutely love it. It points amazing for me, and I have had zero issues with it. Its my winter EDC gun. Takes some trigger time to switch between my tupperware (G19) and the DA/SA Sig, but its worth it to me.

gatordev
21 September 2015, 18:35
I'm not real familiar with the internal components of the P226 (Or any Sigs, really) but I've heard that they are a bit over-engineered. In your experience, does that seem to be at all the case?

I'm not sure I'm really all that qualified to answer that. I can only speak to my limited experience. Other than my extractor issue, both of my personal guns have worked great and probably worked longer than they should have before I bothered to do a little preventative maintenance on my P229. They do have some extra doo-dads under the hood, but part of that is the SA/DA system. I practiced A LOT with my 229 after I first got it and the DA pull isn't that big a deal to me. It won't be as fast if accuracy is key, but with a good solid pull, it can be very accurate shooting DA. Again, it's just practice.

All that said, our issued sidearms were P228s which, while cleaned whenever they were shot, probably aren't the best-cared for weapons because they just go back and forth between the armory and the range or carried. Even during an end of the FY ammo blowout, I didn't have, nor did I see, one malfunction with the issued guns, so I guess that's something.

I can understand why you guys say what you do about the 226. I have large hands and I find it to be a large service pistol. If I had to carry something where I was actually moving around, I probably would prefer something lighter like a Glock (or at least a 228/229). But the gun I have by my bed is my 226 because I know I can shoot it and it hasn't done me wrong to date.

alamo5000
21 September 2015, 19:07
I don't know all the technical stuff but I own a bunch of Sigs including a 226 and they are all great. Despite my Sig Fanboy qualifications though when it comes to pistols it's a lot of personal preference. The feel in your hand and a trigger that you like is the way to go. Whatever brand that leads you to... go for it.

GR1M
24 September 2015, 12:57
Thanks for the info guys..... I'm leaning to the Mk25

johnson
24 September 2015, 22:23
Have you and your wife handled the P226? It's a fairly large full frame pistol so just something to think about. My first pistol was a P229 DAK and although it shot great, I got rid of it for smaller/lighter ones in the same class like the Glock 19. A few years ago I bought an Mk25 because I wanted a TDA and although this shot great as well it was just too large and clunky for a 15 round capacity with standard mags.

You could get a more "modern" pistol like the SIG P320 or HK VP9 and extra mags for the price of an Mk25. What type of pistols do you have currently and what are the reasons behind upgrading?

UWone77
25 September 2015, 20:32
Just get the X-Five P226... Go big or go home. [BD]

Ratfink
18 December 2015, 22:19
Just got a legion p226 myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk