PDA

View Full Version : eotech xps

Creeky73
3 February 2009, 19:10
Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these yet? is there any sacrifice in quality/features for the reduced size?

NickDrak
3 February 2009, 19:31
They havent been released yet. Supposedly March/April for them to hit dealers. I had the opportunity to check out a proto this past summer during a week long instructors course. It looked to be a very solid improvement over the current battery box design on the Eotechs. I am looking forward to picking one up when they start shipping.

Creeky73
3 February 2009, 19:52
I also like the two-dot option, looks cool.

Stickman
3 February 2009, 20:30
Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these yet? is there any sacrifice in quality/features for the reduced size?

I was disgusted with the lack of professionalism at the Eotech booth at SHOT Show this year. Not only has the QC and customer service reportedly been slipping fast, but evidently so has their sales staff.

I saw it, I was unimpressed in general, but it certainly will take up less space, and the increase in life is welcome. Not that the life gets longer, but it does it with one battery, which is nice.

I'm very disappointed with Eotech currently..... they need to get Dennis Finnegan back in a big way.

Paulo_Santos
3 February 2009, 22:43
It looks promising. Hopefully it will fix some of the battery compartment issues.

Creeky73
4 February 2009, 17:05
Ugh...I had pretty much made up my mind on an eotech setup until Stickman says that...I am not about to drop $500 or more with a company that is having quality control issues. And every other aimpoint setup I've looked at is going to cost more, once you factor in a good mount. I'm so depressed....

CAPT KIRK
4 February 2009, 17:46
I have had the "NEW" 516 for about 8 months now and absulutely love it. This new XPS looks good too, but like Stickman I am very big on customer service. If I have need of another sight I may consider for its size, it but also like the Aimpoint T1.

Creeky73
4 February 2009, 22:16
I like the size of the T1 but I don't like that it A) costs more than I wanted to spend and B) is only offered in 4 MOA dot. I know they used to offer a less-expensive model that was not NV ready, but it appears that they have discontinued that model.

jmart
5 February 2009, 06:23
I like the size of the T1 but I don't like that it A) costs more than I wanted to spend and B) is only offered in 4 MOA dot. I know they used to offer a less-expensive model that was not NV ready, but it appears that they have discontinued that model.

The H1? Are you sure?

The H1 isn't marketed to Mil/LE, it's marketed as a sport optic. As far as I know they're still available.

Creeky73
5 February 2009, 20:13
what do you guys think about mounting the red dot in the 1 o'clock position? Daniel Defense has a mount for $40, and that with a T1 keeps me at a price point I can afford. Is it a hard setup to get used to? I have an A2 style upper, so whatever setup I use has to either co-witness or be out of the way of the sights altogether.

Stickman
5 February 2009, 20:26
I wish that DD would make that same mount as a 12:00 non-QD mount for the same price. The QD rage is a little overboard IMHO.

To answer your question, its hard to know how well it would work for you. I don't think it would be effective for me.

TigerStripe
14 February 2009, 15:12
Dealing with Dennis was good. Haven't had contact with the new personnel.

TS

TehLlama
14 February 2009, 18:46
It would be ignored entirely if Aimpoint had introduced a T-1 with integral non-QD mount that housed a 123A 3V Li battery.

Stickman
14 February 2009, 20:15
It would be ignored entirely if Aimpoint had introduced a T-1 with integral non-QD mount that housed a 123A 3V Li battery.

I think the price has a lot to do with it as well. A Aimpoint that had reduced battery life, but included a mount, would kill crush the market. Then again, they already have a pretty good hold, and there are people who strongly prefer the Eotech reticle.

SHIHAN
15 February 2009, 17:00
The Eotech Vs. Ainmpoint debate will go on as long as they are both being made. Eotech has had way too many QC issues for me to put my trust in them and over the years I have had a lot of grouchy customers who get ticked when I give the 'Should have got the Aimpoint I recomended" ting I always say when im ordering a Eotech for someone dead set on getting one.

TigerStripe
15 February 2009, 18:16
I have a 552 on my main gun. I had one side lose some of its brightness. The left side was normal for whichever setting the sight was on, the right side was too dim on the same setting(s). I filled out a form. Dennis emailed me and told me to ship it to him. A few weeks later I got a new sight.

I've been looking for a reason to buy an Aimpoint because the battery life is so long but they use uncommon batteries, with the exception on the M4. The price of the M4 is right on the edge of being prohibitive.

TS

Stickman
15 February 2009, 19:46
I wish I could find stats for Eotech regarding returns/ repairs in the past 18-24 months.

I like them, I just wish the QC was there. I also wish Dennis was back, he set a good tone for them.

Paulo_Santos
15 February 2009, 20:47
I wish I could find stats for Eotech regarding returns/ repairs in the past 18-24 months.

I like them, I just wish the QC was there. I also wish Dennis was back, he set a good tone for them.

Obviously they are having some issues, but I don't think it is as high as you read on the internet. I'm hoping this new xps model will take care of the battery compartment issue with the EOTechs, which is the main issue with them.

TigerStripe
15 February 2009, 23:54

Good thing both the one on my gun and the NIB one are over two years old.

TS

jmart
16 February 2009, 10:10

I don't think it's a matter of QC, it's more a matter of engineering. This new layout, with the battery set sideways, looks like a simple and effective way of dealing with the battery contact issue and recoil. Time will tell......

I'm a 512 owner. No issues with mine over several years, but I've never subjected it to hard usage, so my experience may not be relevant for someone trying to guage reliability from what they read on the net.

Put me in the camp of preferring the Eo reticule over Aimpoint's dot. And while Aimpoint's battery life is impressive, it's not a meaningful discriminator for me. Anything greater than several hundred hours is good enough for me, and as a civi homeowner, the better reticule of the Eo trumps Aimpoint's battery life, at least for me. Lithium AA's provide a reliable power source and good enough life.

If I were patrolling the streets and needed an optic that were always on, then battery life would become more important. But until then, I'm a Eo fan.

Stickman
17 February 2009, 14:16
I don't think it's a matter of QC, it's more a matter of engineering. This new layout, with the battery set sideways, looks like a simple and effective way of dealing with the battery contact issue and recoil. Time will tell......

I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. I carry an Eotech for duty, and use my Aimpoints for fun & training, so my issue isn't with one vs the other. The recent calls and comments that I've gotten have been geared towards the past 18 months or so in LE use. In this time the Eotechs are suddenly having issues that they never had in the past. Since there has been no upgrade to the 552/ 512 that I am aware of, that brings me back to QC.

I'm aware of the battery complaints, and consider that to be a separate dealing.

SHIHAN
18 February 2009, 23:56
I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. I carry an Eotech for duty, and use my Aimpoints for fun & training, so my issue isn't with one vs the other. The recent calls and comments that I've gotten have been geared towards the past 18 months or so in LE use. In this time the Eotechs are suddenly having issues that they never had in the past. Since there has been no upgrade to the 552/ 512 that I am aware of, that brings me back to QC.

I'm aware of the battery complaints, and consider that to be a separate dealing.

Stick is the Eotech mandated by your dept? Just wondering why your training optic isnt the same as duty.

Mantis
20 February 2009, 07:03
Ugh...I had pretty much made up my mind on an eotech setup until Stickman says that...I am not about to drop $500 or more with a company that is having quality control issues. I'm so depressed....

LOL. Same with me.

louie
22 February 2009, 07:20
Wow! I just popped in here to do bit research (before I buy?), on the XPS Eotechs, and Stick's comments have me concerned. I do recall the "recall," about a year ago, on some Eotech sights, and I did return mine for the retrofit. Since then, I've used the sight exactly 3 times, with no problems.

That being said, needless to say, I'm reconsidering the purchase of an Eotech XPS. Man, this has me bummed.

Hey, I'm a weekend warrior, so if my Eotech takes a shit, what's the loss? What REALLY concerns me is the fact that we have front-line military and LEO's who employ Eotech sights on a daily basis, and the last thing they need is a SNAFU'd weapon sight.

Thanks, Stickman, for your posts in this thread. You have opened my eyes to something that I had no clue was going on with Eotech products. Such a shame when an organization takes their customers for granted. I've seen this before in the world of firearms, (and associated products), and I'm glad to see folks are posting their experiences, regardless of the outcome.

So, should I take a peek at the Aimpoint 'minis' ?

Paulo_Santos
22 February 2009, 10:51
Wow! I just popped in here to do bit research (before I buy?), on the XPS Eotechs, and Stick's comments have me concerned. I do recall the "recall," about a year ago, on some Eotech sights, and I did return mine for the retrofit. Since then, I've used the sight exactly 3 times, with no problems.

That being said, needless to say, I'm reconsidering the purchase of an Eotech XPS. Man, this has me bummed.

Hey, I'm a weekend warrior, so if my Eotech takes a shit, what's the loss? What REALLY concerns me is the fact that we have front-line military and LEO's who employ Eotech sights on a daily basis, and the last thing they need is a SNAFU'd weapon sight.

Thanks, Stickman, for your posts in this thread. You have opened my eyes to something that I had no clue was going on with Eotech products. Such a shame when an organization takes their customers for granted. I've seen this before in the world of firearms, (and associated products), and I'm glad to see folks are posting their experiences, regardless of the outcome.

Even if you use your AR for serious work and your Aimpoint or EOTech craps out on you, that is what BUIS are for. Just train using your irons and your main optic and you will be fine.

louie
22 February 2009, 21:45
Even if you use your AR for serious work and your Aimpoint or EOTech craps out on you, that is what BUIS are for. Just train using your irons and your main optic and you will be fine.

Sure!

My point is, the money folks spend Eotech products, more so, than the functionality, or non-functionality, of the sight. Eotech sights are quite expensive, and you'd think for the money, you get a quality product.

Stickman
23 February 2009, 09:21
Stick is the Eotech mandated by your dept? Just wondering why your training optic isnt the same as duty.

I have more than one Eotech, as well as Aimpoints and other optics floating around. I strive to be proficient with all of them, and the differences aren't enough to cause me any issues.

I recently did some work with a group that was doing drills on a training day, and found all of their Eotechs dead, or had their batteries die within the first hour. These were battery life issues, but it doesn't change what happened. In this case, we were only talking about 5 or 6 special use weapons, and they aren't used very often.

I still consider the Eotech to be a quality optic, and I would not dissuade people from buying one. The cost is much cheaper than the Aimpoints, and hit ratios go up substantially with RDOs.

Stickman
23 February 2009, 09:24

They are some serious coin, but they are a great optic.

I wouldn't hide my face from an Eotech, but I would be remiss if I refused to point out things which I am aware of with this topic. In a perfect world, I would like to see 10 Eotechs chosen from their latest production, and run through a 2 or 3 day carbine course. The first day or two would show any issues.

I've got a course coming up that is going to involve a large amount of newer Eotechs, I will be VERY interested in seeing how things turn out.

Uglyduck
25 May 2009, 21:18
Soooo.......any news?