PDA

View Full Version : Finished my new rifle (range report included)

rxer311
27 September 2015, 06:54
I have been acquiring parts for this rifle for the past few months and have changed directions on it quite a few times. Finally got the final assembly finished the other day. I am quite happy with how it turned out.

Lower:
1. Spikes stripped lower.
2. BCM FCG with Strike industries pins, bolt catch, QD endplate and mag release (all other small parts mil spec)
3. Mil Spec extension
4. Magpul K2 grip
5. Magpul MOE SL stock
6. Standard carbine buffer

Upper:
1. Anderson Stripped upper and FA and ejection port door
2. Voodoo Innovations 14.5" govt profile, midlength, melonite barrel with pinned Manimal flash hider (1:7 twist)
3. YHM clamp on gas block
4. Voodoo melonite gas tube
5. AIM Surplus melonite BCG
6. Fortis Hammer charging handle
7. Warwick arms 13" keymod rail (these are rock solid and under $140)

Sights and Optics:
1. Meprolight Tru-Dot RDS (not pictured)
2. Magpul MBUS

Here is the best part...
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/rxer311/IMG_0715_zpsvmzbnfkn.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/rxer311/IMG_0716_zpsf2l58jn8.jpg

rxer311
27 September 2015, 06:54
Range Report

Finally got to go to the range today and got the irons sighted in then finally took most of my time to really get my Meprolight RDS right on. All went well with putting 140 total rounds down range. No malfunctions. Ejection pattern was between 2:30 and 3:30 at all times. Very soft shooter. This will be my new go to rifle after I get a few hundred more rounds through it with no issues.

I was using both 55gr American Eagle XM193 mil spec ammo. The barrel is a 1:7 twist voodoo 14.5" middy.

After getting it really close to zero I started shooting for groups. I thought if a 10 shot group was good, then a 40 shot group would be better. This was done at 50 yards.

So my first 3 shots were slightly high so I did a 2 click adjustment down and came out with this target after 40 shots total downrange. I am sure my shots off to the right were user error and not the fault of the rifle since the middle of the target was basically shot out. Not sure what I did on the low left shot.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/rxer311/IMG_0733_zpsykbrg9vk.jpg

UWone77
27 September 2015, 08:03
Nice shooting.

Because of a buddy, I can only look at Spikes Lowers and LMAO now. But overall, how it shoots is the most important thing.

WHSmithIV
27 September 2015, 10:13
Looks good, shoots well - I like it [:)]

GOST
27 September 2015, 10:23
Nice shooting.

Because of a buddy, I can only look at Spikes Lowers and LMAO now. But overall, how it shoots is the most important thing.

Damn the pink color fill.[BD]

Dstrbdmedic167
27 September 2015, 10:30
Damn the pink color fill.[BD]

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

toolboxluis00200
27 September 2015, 11:20
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll173/CgSkapegoat/arf/spikes-tactical-logocolored.jpg

rxer311
27 September 2015, 11:27
Well, boys...it looks like I may be pulling this rifle apart. I noticed my Meprolight RDS had movement on the pic rail of my upper receiver. I put the RDS on some of my other rifles and there is no movement. The pic rail on my upper must be seriously out of spec. That will teach me to use another Anderson upper...

I love the way it shoots but I just can't leave it how it is. Even if I could mount another optic on there with no problems, I know its not in spec and it will bug me.

Going to go pick up a new upper tomorrow and redo the upper...

Dstrbdmedic167
27 September 2015, 11:42
Well, boys...it looks like I may be pulling this rifle apart. I noticed my Meprolight RDS had movement on the pic rail of my upper receiver. I put the RDS on some of my other rifles and there is no movement. The pic rail on my upper must be seriously out of spec. That will teach me to use another Anderson upper...

I love the way it shoots but I just can't leave it how it is. Even if I could mount another optic on there with no problems, I know its not in spec and it will bug me.

Sweet rifle and shooting man. What upper are you going with?

rxer311
27 September 2015, 12:08
I am just going to go with my LGS upper. Lanco Tactical. I have another Lanco upper that the optic clamps down on just fine.

I am going to take the optic just to test fit it on the upper.

rxer311
27 September 2015, 12:09
Let it be a lesson...don't use Anderson LOL.

Dstrbdmedic167
27 September 2015, 12:47
Let it be a lesson...don't use Anderson LOL.

We have a couple members here that love Anderson, but that's also all they could get..

BoilerUp
27 September 2015, 13:47
My OCD doesn't like mis-matched uppers / lowers, so take a look at this: http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.spikes-tactical-stripped-upper-blemished-85-993

WHSmithIV
27 September 2015, 14:06

If you decide to sell the upper receiver, let me know. I have a lower receiver that needs one. Don't need a F/A or dust cover.

rxer311
27 September 2015, 14:34
No problem. Will do. I will be in touch.

rxer311
27 September 2015, 14:36
My OCD doesn't like mis-matched uppers / lowers, so take a look at this: http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.spikes-tactical-stripped-upper-blemished-85-993

I don't mind mismatching brands on receivers as long as they fit well and are in spec. It bugs me that this rail is not in spec. It still boggles my mind that the optic works on every other rail and upper I own.

WHSmithIV
27 September 2015, 20:25
No problem. Will do. I will be in touch.

Appreciate it. Just so happens the lower receiver I have is Aderson also.

rxer311
28 September 2015, 14:44
Appreciate it. Just so happens the lower receiver I have is Aderson also.

I dropped off my upper at my gunsmith today so I should have my old anderson upper in a few days. What do you think its worth?

Your PM box is full.

WHSmithIV
28 September 2015, 15:12
I dropped off my upper at my gunsmith today so I should have my old anderson upper in a few days. What do you think its worth?

Your PM box is full.

Emptied some messages - didn't realize it was full.

I don't know what you paid for the stripped upper. I see them in the $4x range in various places. There are new ones not blems on Gunbroker now at $43

rxer311
30 September 2015, 13:42
Its back with an in spec upper!