PDA

View Full Version : New PMAG vs old PMAG

Stickman
8 February 2009, 18:55
There are a bunch of threads on other boards talking about the differences between the "M" PMAG, and the original version. I don't look at there being a large difference between them in term of actual functionality, but a few differences were done in the new molds. The below images should show you how to quickly tell what you are looking at.

First, here is a picture showing the different PMAGs. Starting from the far left, we have the old PMAG, the windowed PMAG, new "M" PMAG, EMAG (export mag), and 20 round PMAG.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8159%201028%20stick.jpg

Stickman
8 February 2009, 18:57
You can see here that the new PMAG and EMAG have feedlip covers that attach to the bottom of the magazine body.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8164%201028%20stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8165%201028%20Stick.jpg

Stickman
8 February 2009, 18:58
Older PMAG shown on the left in both images, new one on the right. This shows the upper and lower sections of the magazine spine.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8168%201028%20Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8169%201028%20Stick.jpg

Stickman
8 February 2009, 18:58
This shows the body ribbed sections have been changed, and there are now 3 larger panels instead of 4. The ribs are slightly thinner than the older versions, and do not protrude as much. The difference is small, but its there. The old PMAG had a cutout for the window insert, the new one does not.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8170%201028%20stick.jpg

Stickman
8 February 2009, 19:04
With the old on the left, and new on the right again, you can see the floorplates are different, and the new ones are marked with a "M", so it would be hard to confuse them.

From the top view, you can see the follower, and the front of the magazine is different on the inside. The new follower is also marked with the "M".

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8171%201028%20Stick.jpg

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8172%201028%20Stick.jpg

Stickman
8 February 2009, 19:07
You can also check on the date code, and you will see that there is the "M" stamped there.

So there you have it, the body, follower, and baseplate are all marked with the "M". For those who looked closely, you can also see that the magazine insert which locks into the floorplate is a different color as well.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8175%201028%20Stick.jpg

saor32
8 February 2009, 19:15
Will the E-Mags be available in the US, or only for export?

Stickman
8 February 2009, 19:20
Will the E-Mags be available in the US, or only for export?

They will be available for purchase here if for some reason you wanted them instead of the PMAG.

TigerStripe
8 February 2009, 19:31
Are there any newly built in improvements or is this just a mold and model change?

TIA,

TS

Stickman
8 February 2009, 19:44
Are there any newly built in improvements or is this just a mold and model change?

TIA,

TS

TS.

I've got no doubt there are a number of improvements. Someone was nice enough to IM me and comment that the ability to use stripper clip guides is improved. The dustcover slipping onto the bottom is an improvement according to the group that asked for that particular modification. The minor variance in the front must make a bit of difference as well (when viewed from straight down).

For the vast amount of PMAG users? I doubt we will see any difference at all. I think this is more a change or update of molds, and a few minor tweaks with the new design. As far as functional differences, I don't think there really are any.

TigerStripe
8 February 2009, 19:53
TS.

I've got no doubt there are a number of improvements. Someone was nice enough to IM me and comment that the ability to use stripper clip guides is improved. The dustcover slipping onto the bottom is an improvement according to the group that asked for that particular modification. The minor variance in the front must make a bit of difference as well (when viewed from straight down).

For the vast amount of PMAG users? I doubt we will see any difference at all. I think this is more a change or update of molds, and a few minor tweaks with the new design. As far as functional differences, I don't think there really are any.

That was what I thought. It looks like it may fit in tighter mag wells, but current or "older" Pmags fit in every lower I have and drop free when empty.

Thanks again,

TS

Army Chief
8 February 2009, 22:53
An exceptional primer on what has, to this point, been a rather subtle list of differences. Thanks, Stick.

Now ... prepare for the inevitable avalanche of "I want to buy some PMAGs. How can I make sure I'm getting the new version?" posts all across the web. ;)

AC

TehLlama
10 February 2009, 10:31
Next dumb question: will there be M series Maglevel setups?

jeffy
10 February 2009, 11:52
I'm assuming the new M will replace the standard Pmags we're all used to?

Does that mean there will be no more windowed Pmags?

Stickman
10 February 2009, 17:49
Jeffy,

There are no more of the original PMAGs being built as far as I know, everything is going to be the new one.

Guessing on the windowed mags would be just that, a guess. I think at some point, the molds will need to be replaced, and that we would see similar changes then.

TigerStripe
11 February 2009, 11:12
I had one trickle in yesterday. It's a standard Maglevel with an Mmag type follower. It isn't stamped with 5.56 or M, it's blank.

TS

Army Chief
12 February 2009, 04:50
I've noticed that several of my backordered PMAGs seem to be shipping lately; perhaps all of those election-driven purchases have finally reached some semblance of equilibirum with the ramped-up production effort.

One thing that I am exceedingly grateful for is the fact that, even if a ban is forthcoming, we've been given a fairly broad window of opportunity in which to invest in those things which might ultimately move back into the unobtainable category. I remember back in early 1986 when the Firearm Owner's Protection Act (aka the McClure-Volkmer Act) caught us relatively flat-footed, and there was almost no time to register receivers or arrange short-notice machinegun transfers. We were, in many ways, blindsided by legislation that was widely-billed as pro-2A.

Those who find themselves shopping for $125 PMAGs a decade from now will likely have no one to blame but themselves, as most of us have long since learned from the past. My wife isn't crazy about the diversion of funds to such things right now, but she is also intelligent enough to realize that we're but a pen stroke away from vindication.

Time to invest in some new PMAG-Ms, I suppose ... :)

AC

Spooky130
17 February 2009, 08:24
I wonder if the post-election surge in sales coupled with the change over in molds created the big back log in mag sales. I hope that the new molds are in place and production will soon meet demand. I also hope that MagPul is making pretty good money and with the extra capital can bring more great products to the market and increase production on their hard to find items!

Spooky

Stickman
17 February 2009, 14:12
I wonder if the post-election surge in sales coupled with the change over in molds created the big back log in mag sales. I hope that the new molds are in place and production will soon meet demand.

Spooky

I think we are pretty close to that point. I think Magpul will have a massive demand for their products for a long time, and that dealers may never have everything they want in stock, but for the consumer, the options will all be there.

Brock Samson
21 February 2009, 18:15
Interestingly, I just got some PMAG's that have a newer date stamp than the M's shown above by Stick, but aren't M's. They are somewhere in-between old and M.

The mouth of the mag and feedlips look like an M, and the catch up top for the dustcover is two cuts instead of one, but the rest of the body is like the old. The follower seems somewhere in-between but shows no marking. The dustcover on mine does not snap on the bottom.

Date stamp is 2/09 so not sure what to think. I guess Magpul is still making non-M

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv27/bsamsonpics/top.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv27/bsamsonpics/side.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv27/bsamsonpics/datestamp.jpg

jeffy
21 February 2009, 19:33
I've seen someone else post similar finding with the 09's as well.

Stickman
21 February 2009, 20:02
Looks like mags that were being mad while the new variants were tooling up.

Army Chief
21 February 2009, 23:27
There are definite date codes issues out there with the latest PMAGs (Magpul has acknowledged as much), and in some cases, they are reflecting dates that are still some 9-10 months away. Actually, I just received a dozen (6x black, 6x FDE) that were made in November 2009. I guess we can add warping the time/space continuum to the growing list of incredible things that Magpul continues to pull off.

If so, I'm ready for my Massoud now. :)

AC

Stickman
22 February 2009, 01:10
New PMAG, real date.... [:)]

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8326%201028%20Stick.jpg

Army Chief
22 February 2009, 04:27
For clarity, I should have indicated that I was talking about new production windowed (original version) PMAGs.

I've not ordered any new pattern mags yet, but plan to as soon as I can be sure that is what I'll actually receive.

AC

Stickman
23 February 2009, 09:27
For clarity, I should have indicated that I was talking about new production windowed (original version) PMAGs.

I've not ordered any new pattern mags yet, but plan to as soon as I can be sure that is what I'll actually receive.

AC

As of right now, there are no new style windowed PMAGs. Current production is still the original windowed model.

Army Chief
23 February 2009, 10:38
Affirmative -- I brought it up simply because that variant was the one that seemed to be affected by the errant date code(s). As far as I know, all of the new production mags are coded correctly.

AC

Linnear
25 February 2009, 12:56
Hi, i just picked up 10 of these new M Pmags, has anyone had any issues with the fit in the mag well and when releasing them as opposed to the older versions? mine are alot tighter and dont like to fall out when released, i talked to Magpul and they suggested "wearing them in" repeated insertions and releases because of the newer molds. im not convinced cos all my other Pmags never had this prob even fresh out of the bag. i have a CD M4 and a LWRC M6A2 same issue with either rifle.

i'd appreciate any input

thanks

nice pic as always Stick. are u a professional photographer?

Stickman
25 February 2009, 14:16
nice pic as always Stick. are u a professional photographer?

I'm prior military, and have been a full time city cop for quite awhile. I do photography work for a lot of the manufacturers in the weapon community, and have made some great friends along the way.

I tend to spend as much time or more doing photography work than I do inside my cruiser. To some people you aren't a professional photographer unless you travel the globe shooting on assignment. To others, you are a pro if you are paid and published on a regular basis, I would qualify for the later, but not the former.

Stickman
25 February 2009, 14:19
mine are alot tighter and dont like to fall out when released, i talked to Magpul and they suggested "wearing them in" repeated insertions and releases because of the newer molds.

i'd appreciate any input

I would mark them with a perm marker by coloring along the edges. Insert and remove them 5 or 10 times, and look to see where the marker has worn off. If its only in a few places, I would hit those areas with a bit of sandpaper, but thats just me. A couple swipes should have them going in no time.

Linnear
25 February 2009, 15:01
Thanks for ur suggestion, ive used 4 of them for a week and theyre dropping fine now. did you notice any difference with ur M PMAGS? i saw a FDE one in ur pic.
Magpul had assured me they would RMA if they didnt wear in. knowing them they'd prolly just send me new ones. thsy have great customer service.

i've always thought ur pics were catalog quality, in fact i'd rather look at ur pics than most of the catalogs i get. i'm sure you know as soon as you accept money for ur work ur considered a "pro" LOL seriously tho.. very nice work.

Stickman
25 February 2009, 17:17
Thanks for ur suggestion, ive used 4 of them for a week and theyre dropping fine now. did you notice any difference with ur M PMAGS? i saw a FDE one in ur pic.
Magpul had assured me they would RMA if they didnt wear in. knowing them they'd prolly just send me new ones. thsy have great customer service.

i've always thought ur pics were catalog quality, in fact i'd rather look at ur pics than most of the catalogs i get. i'm sure you know as soon as you accept money for ur work ur considered a "pro" LOL seriously tho.. very nice work.

I just checked a few of my new ones, and they drop free without any problems out of 8 lowers, one needed a wiggle to drop free, and one needed a little pull, then slid right out.

I hope those aren't my catalog pictures that you aren't liking..... [BD]

CobraBG
1 March 2009, 18:01
I have had 20 of the 30 round black Pmags on back order since the election. In checking with the vendor there are about 100 orders still ahead of me waiting to be filled. Do you think mine will be the new M style when I finally receive them? I sure hope so... it would make the waiting worth while. [:D]

Jedimac
3 March 2009, 10:21
with all the changes on the new m-pmag is the body of the mag still just as durable as the original or has it as well been strenghtened in some way? I've read the some ppl were having trouble with the older pmags and some newer date codes splitting when they have been dropped through tac exercises, myself have not experienced these problems with the older ones, and I don't own any of the new m-pmags yet. Just wondering.

Stickman
3 March 2009, 11:06
I've seen PMAGs crack, but these were issues which would have dented the feedlips on USGI mags as well. Typically I've seen it when guys are doing speed reloads on concrete, and ripping out partially full mags.

The new PMAGs are supposed to be a little stronger, and address the above, but lets not think that they are a creation that cant' be destroyed. They are highly durable, but mags are still a disposable item, or at least thats what they were intended to be.

5thprofession47
4 March 2009, 18:48
Just an FYI everyone. I received four Foliage green PMAGs I had on backorder at Brownell's today. I just ordered a few more too! They have the Foliage green ones listed as "In Stock" right now. These are the old version, not the new ones that are supposed to be out this year.

Army Chief
4 March 2009, 21:59
... mags are still a disposable item, or at least thats what they were intended to be.

A valid point, and perhaps the single most relevant reason why having a half-dozen mags in your kit bag isn't really insurance over the long haul. I'm more of the mind that 20(+) magazines -- USGI or otherwise -- per rifle is a pretty reasonable baseline.

AC

SHIHAN
5 March 2009, 00:43
A valid point, and perhaps the single most relevant reason why having a half-dozen mags in your kit bag isn't really insurance over the long haul. I'm more of the mind that 20(+) magazines -- USGI or otherwise -- per rifle is a pretty reasonable baseline.

AC

I 100% agree.

Alaskapopo
11 March 2009, 00:26
I hope the new design is more durable in the extreme cold (-40). That is the only time I know of P Mags failing.
Pat

SHIHAN
11 March 2009, 23:01
I hope the new design is more durable in the extreme cold (-40). That is the only time I know of P Mags failing.
Pat

[:D] Buuuurrrrrr the only time im happy for the Phoenix summers is when i hear stuff like that.

Venom
16 March 2009, 03:32
don't know if this is the right place to put it or if a seperate thread would be better but OberlandArms has released the info that they're going to produce the GMAG.
a GMAG will be a windowed PMAG, 30 and 20 rounds, colors blk,fde and OD and made in Germany. Pricing will be around 20€.

Stickman
16 March 2009, 08:51
Thats very interesting, and opens a couple doors. When did this info go public?

Venom
16 March 2009, 09:44
went public saturday during IWA.
over at ar15.com "magpul" wrote :

The GMag was reversed engineered from the PMag by Oberland. Due to ITAR we could not help them in development in anyway so we cannot vouch for materials or build quaility.

The GMag will not be imported into the US but will be an option for those in Europe through Oberland.

Army Chief
16 March 2009, 10:02
I've had some previous contact with Frank Satzinger (Oberland's owner) here in Germany, and will be watching for these.

AC

Stickman
16 March 2009, 13:10
I was aware of some info, but was unaware of this being public, or of the complete story. Very interesting, and thankyou for sharing this.

Venom
16 March 2009, 16:09
sure sure. once I get my hands on one I'll compare em.

Stickman
16 March 2009, 16:12
I've had some previous contact with Frank Satzinger (Oberland's owner) here in Germany, and will be watching for these.

AC

Edited- Disregard last.

Venom
17 March 2009, 13:39
http://oda152.caelsi.org/upload/dsc00197_th.jpg (http://oda152.caelsi.org/upload/dsc00197.jpg)

new pics, higher res. (credit isnt mine, goes to a guy in a German gunforum)

103m 95g
17 March 2009, 19:08
I just came back from Academy sports, a southern sporting goods chain, they have in stock 20 of new style 30 rnd black Pmags. are you ready...........$29.99 each

Stickman
17 March 2009, 23:48
http://oda152.caelsi.org/upload/dsc00197_th.jpg (http://oda152.caelsi.org/upload/dsc00197.jpg)

new pics, higher res. (credit isnt mine, goes to a guy in a German gunforum)

Good catch with that image, not much question about it being a direct copy of the original PMAGs.

Venom
18 March 2009, 00:07
30$ pmag...wow. thats almost as cool as the guys who buy 200 and then sell em on forums for 21$ *because they also had to pay more* blah...

----

yeah, another guy said they felt more brittle and not as flexible.
But there will be a review coming around shortly I suppose.

Venom
20 March 2009, 09:58
btw, if this post is out of the line, pls delete;

if anyone needs FDE Pmag RangerPlates and has some Black Rangerplates (Pmag) left over, shoot me a PM. I'd like to trade 10 FDe for 10 Black ( or other quanitities)

Thanks!

Army Chief
26 March 2009, 04:04
Great post, Venom. This entire G-MAG concept is more than a little intriguing to me. This may be prime User Review material, as well.

AC

Venom
26 March 2009, 04:27
sure :)

we're getting ready to do some torture tests with one of them. If you have any special wishes, let me know.

Stickman
26 March 2009, 10:09
Venom,

I just read through this and realized its a train wreck of a thread, and through no direct intent of anyone.

If you don't mind, lets clean the GMAG info out of this, or at least most of it, and get a new thread started on it. That way guys can get PMAG info out of this thread, and we can link to the G-MAG/ Magpul copied polymer magazine thread so people can find that one as well.

Venom
26 March 2009, 15:23
sure , go ahead :)

CobraBG
3 April 2009, 20:06
I just received 10 of the 20 30 round Pmags I've had on order. I have only had a chance to check one and it is definately the new style with a date code of March 09. Thanks for the great pictures and the detailed information Stickman. It made the comparison easy. [:)]

5thprofession47
17 April 2009, 08:48
I also received some new PMAGs yesterday from an order I placed with Brownell's back in January. They are dated March 09 as well.

Lex Talionis
20 April 2009, 14:21
good to see the differences visually, but geez.. I just want to get my hands on some of the 20 rounders - new or old style - but they just do not exist. period. :(

5thprofession47
23 April 2009, 07:03
good to see the differences visually, but geez.. I just want to get my hands on some of the 20 rounders - new or old style - but they just do not exist. period. :(

I picked up a few from Matt D. Tactical in January. He just has the 30rd version in stock right now. Send Matt an email and ask him if he expects any more of the 20 round PMAGS.

http://www.mattdtactical.com/

Lex Talionis
23 April 2009, 09:47
I picked up a few from Matt D. Tactical in January. He just has the 30rd version in stock right now. Send Matt an email and ask him if he expects any more of the 20 round PMAGS.

http://www.mattdtactical.com/

thanks for the tip.. sent an email.. do not have high hopes though :(

Venom
23 April 2009, 12:34
let us know what the eta for the 20round pmags is.thanks!

5thprofession47
24 April 2009, 16:16
Brownell's has 20 rd black PMAGs listed as IT STOCK right now!!!

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=24192&title=AR-15/M16%20PMAG%20POLYMER%20MAGAZINE

Lex Talionis
24 April 2009, 16:30
I actually just found some off another site... Brownell's will not break them into parts and sell them as rebuild kits for those of us in CA. So not only do I have to find them, I have to find someone willing to make them rebuild kits and ship to CA where I can then convert to 10/20 mags.

Venom
25 April 2009, 00:25
is there a "how to" convert 20 to 10 rd pmags somewhere?

Lex Talionis
25 April 2009, 19:12
is there a "how to" convert 20 to 10 rd pmags somewhere?

yep.. but not here so try here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=125645) or even this one gets you the idea (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=120280&page=13)

I have 5 on order, so plan to do the 10/20 conversion when they arrive

Venom
25 April 2009, 23:30
thanks bud

federalist22
30 May 2009, 14:30
Has anyone ever watched this PMAG video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCFXcOOb4jc&eurl=http%3A%2F%2F

Also, Bravo Company has a post that states Magpul is going to have .308 PMAGs for the SR types - DPMS, Knights, LaRue, etc.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-PMAG-AR15-Magazine-p/magpul%20pmag%2020lr%20black.htm

Bill Bryant
13 September 2009, 20:20
I just bought a PMAG that appears to be unlike any shown on the thread . . . or you might say it's something of a hybrid. I wonder if anyone else has one like this.

The date stamp is 4/09.

There is no M above the date stamp.

The catch has a ramp at the bottom but not at the top.

The feed lips cover will not go on the base.

The follower is black and has no markings.

There is a window, and it's three panels long.

The ribbing is the four-panel version.

The base is the old version without the M.

Bill Bryant
13 September 2009, 20:25
Interestingly, I just got some PMAG's that have a newer date stamp than the M's shown above by Stick, but aren't M's. They are somewhere in-between old and M.

The mouth of the mag and feedlips look like an M, and the catch up top for the dustcover is two cuts instead of one, but the rest of the body is like the old. The follower seems somewhere in-between but shows no marking. The dustcover on mine does not snap on the bottom.

Date stamp is 2/09 so not sure what to think. I guess Magpul is still making non-M

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv27/bsamsonpics/top.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv27/bsamsonpics/side.jpg

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv27/bsamsonpics/datestamp.jpg
I just bought one of these, made in 4/09.

Hoss356
15 November 2009, 11:15
Bill, that describes a couple I picked up recently to a T with the only exception being the date marked on mine are 05/09.
I also just picked up some from DSG Arms that are identical to your description minus the window and marked 06/08. DSG looks like they're moving old stock by offering cheap 10/pk's.

critterdoc
25 January 2010, 06:18
Will 2.260 overall length cartridges fit in 30 & 20 rd Pmags?

Thanks
Doc

Stickman
25 January 2010, 13:10
I don't reload yet, so I'm not help on this one.

foxyyy
3 February 2010, 10:41
Will 2.260 overall length cartridges fit in 30 & 20 rd Pmags?

Thanks
Doc

they fit in my rev. M pmags...both 30rd & 20rd [:)]

chazthebiker
27 June 2011, 21:02
I know this is a very old thread, but it helps make the point that reading through old threads is worthwhile. At the risk of sounding ignorant... I have to admit I had no idea the covers on the PMags could be clipped onto the bottom. I have always been at a loss as to what to do with those little suckers. This website is invaluable!