PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Dynamics Sling

Ryo
8 February 2009, 21:23
Just wondering when it the actual release date?

Is it only going to be offer in a hook? I've been moving to a push button platform.

Also has anyone tried putting it to it's paces?

TigerStripe
8 February 2009, 21:42
I'm sure Stick has or will be putting one through its paces. I don't care for all the metal. It looks like a step backward with all the metal because it has got to have rattle and rattle calls for tape. JMO.

TS

Army Chief
8 February 2009, 22:48
I actually prefer the MS2's hook concept (which ought to be fairly familiar to anyone who has handled an MP-5), though it would obviously make no sense to render it in anything but metal. The ASAP/MS2 combination won't be for everyone, of course, but I definitely intend to put it through its paces. It has worked well in other applications, so I don't see why it wouldn't be particularly well-suited to the M4.

Fortunately, we've got more sling options these days than we really know what to do with, so the odds of finding just the right solution are definitely in the shooter's favor. That's a good thing, no matter which setup one happens to prefer.

AC

TigerStripe
9 February 2009, 09:44
There's nothing wrong with the HK style hooks but the metal seems a little bulky. I would think that a Magpul sling would have polymer attachments which would be much quieter.

I already have my choice of sling in Gear Sector slings.

TS

Ryo
9 February 2009, 10:17
Didn't think about that, but I agree.. metal is a bit noisy. I use rubberbands to cushion out the rattling of hook connections that I've used in the past for slings for both camera's and rifles.

Army Chief
9 February 2009, 11:06
I follow the logic on polymer attachment points (we are, after all, talking about Magpul), but I'm not sure that there is a polymer made that I would trust for weapons retention. I've had metal clips let go on me, and plastics don't exactly instill a lot of confidence in load bearing applications.

The metal to metal thing can be greatly mitigated by rubberized coatings and/or various work arounds (i.e. tape), but if stealth is a primary concern, then I suppose there are more attractive alternatives. Not really an issue for my purposes.

AC

NickDrak
13 February 2009, 18:55
MagPul has added them to their site for ordering!

Stickman
13 February 2009, 19:01
ASAP sling mount plates and the Magpul slings are both up on the website.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8209%201028%20stick.jpg

Ryo
14 February 2009, 04:04
Oh I totally forgot about that other part.. now it makes sense on the design.

5thprofession47
14 February 2009, 11:04
ASAP sling mount plates and the Magpul slings are both up on the website.

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8209%201028%20stick.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! Order placed.

Army Chief
21 February 2009, 13:23
Let's talk for a moment about ASAP/stock compatability. Obviously, the ASAP isn't going to work with a UBR because of the mounting configuration and proprietary receiver extension, but it seems like most conventional collapsible stocks (standard, CTR/MOE, Modstock/EMod, SOPMOD) will work.

What about the new ACS? On the face of it, this wouldn't seem to present any problems, but the forward end of the ACS has a larger/longer "face" than most, and this could potentially interfere with the ASAP if the stock were in a closed or nearly closed position. Has anyone had a chance to see or test this particular configuration?

AC

Stickman
21 February 2009, 16:19
What about the new ACS? On the face of it, this wouldn't seem to present any problems, but the forward end of the ACS has a larger/longer "face" than most, and this could potentially interfere with the ASAP if the stock were in a closed or nearly closed position. Has anyone had a chance to see or test this particular configuration?

AC

Yes I have, and no, its no problem. Its also worth noting that the ASAP works with a variety of slings, not just the Magpul MS-2.

Policetacteam
21 February 2009, 16:45
I would have to agree with Army Chief. A plastic or polymer attachment does not instill confidence with a weapon hanging from it! I have used HK style hooks on our HK MP5's and our HK UMP's and cannot remember a time when I thought they were too loud. Metal on metal is a tough combo to beat. If Magpul was somehow able to produce some type of polymer over molded metal might be interesting but I'm sure they explored several options before coming up with this particular design platform. I trust that Magpul will give us first rate gear..they always do!

Stickman
21 February 2009, 20:03
Gear Sector uses ITW polymer attachments, and I have jumped up and down on them in full tac gear with the sling supporting all my weight. Nothing wrong with the proper polymer in the correct applications.

Ryo
21 February 2009, 22:41
Gear Sector uses ITW polymer attachments, and I have jumped up and down on them in full tac gear with the sling supporting all my weight. Nothing wrong with the proper polymer in the correct applications.

You must have had a interesting day to decide to test that. [bash] [:D]

Army Chief
22 February 2009, 00:00
Nothing wrong with the proper polymer in the correct applications.

I would certainly have to agree with that Stick, though the operative term I used earlier was "inspire confidence" -- and in that department I still hesitate a bit when the primary application is load-bearing. In fairness, I've had metal clips and connectors give out on me too, but polymers just give me pause as a potential weak link in these applications.

There can be no denying that polymers have come a long way, so the perceptions that they are more temperature sensitive or less tolerant of shock loading than quality metals may admittedly be based upon some unsound and outdated premises. Even so, when a small clip or connector is the only thing between my weapon or my gear and the ground, I'm looking to meet the "absurdly overbuilt" standard rather than the "perfectly acceptable" one. I suspect my years as a parachutist have colored my thinking a bit here.

This may change over time, of course, but a bit of conservatism isn't really a bad thing until it blinds you to the fact that the rest of the world has long since left you behind. Hopefully, I'm not quite at that point yet on the whole polymer debate, though I admit ... every sidearm I own is still steel-framed. Clearly, I have at least some catching up to do.

AC

jmart
22 February 2009, 07:33
I'm not sure what Magpul is calling these , but in the sailing world they're called snap shackles. They're used as attachment points on the end of halyards to hoist mainsails, jibs and spinnakers, and they're also used as attachment points for the spinnaker's sheets and guys.

As you can imagine, they come in all different sizes, based on the size of the sail. But some companies also make plastic/polymer version for lower load versions, and as I recall those were specced to safe working laods of 600-700 lbs. These would be used as an option on light air sheets, where it's tough to get that spinnaker to fly when it's blowing all of 2-3 knots, and you want to minimize weight to keep the spinnaker from collapsing. They would also be used on some small centerboard boats which didn't fly big spinnakers. I'll see if I can dig up a photo of one from a current marine catalog, but they're out there.

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/photo/10527077/cd009440ceb49722b84bbbbf259670a2/10527077_1.jpg

nb118677hc
24 February 2009, 19:01
Any of you know the current turn-around time at Magpul? I ordered a sling/mount and just curious when they might show up.

Stickman
24 February 2009, 19:08
People are getting theirs now, so it is probably going to depend on when your order went in.

Policetacteam
25 February 2009, 01:35
Stick,

I know you are probably currently giving the new Magpul sling a good work out! Any initial impressions!?! I'm sure you will be doing a review in the near future but curious.

Belloc
26 February 2009, 06:00
Stickman,
Can you tell me which of these is the final production model of the ASAP?

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8218%20A%201028%20Stick.jpg

or

http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/Magpul%20III/IMG_8187%201028%20Stick.jpg

In other words, metal tabs or no metal tabs?
Thanks.

Army Chief
26 February 2009, 06:08
I'm usually pretty good at the "spot the differences" game, but in this case I'm not sure that I see it. Granted, we're constrained a bit by the angle, but I believe I see the same metal tabs on both. Not so?

AC

Belloc
26 February 2009, 08:02
http://moarpics.com/images/p6x1tfsuw7xyb2arcpbs.jpg
Darn if you're not right and my eyes were playing tricks on me.
Thanks.

Stickman
26 February 2009, 08:43
The one shown in your above post is a preproduction model, the ones you posted first are production models. That image was copied without permission, and shouldn't be used, this would avoid confusion for people who now look at the picture out of context, and think the preproduction model is the real thing... [:)]

Ryo
26 February 2009, 09:13
bad bad Belloc. ;)

5thprofession47
28 February 2009, 20:43
I received my Magpul endplate and sling last week and installed them yesterday. The install is a little tricky for the endplate (due to a locking pin that keeps the endplate from shifting side to side during use) but I was successful after a few tries and a slight modification. I cannot wait to get out and use this thing!

5thprofession47
28 February 2009, 20:46
Any of you know the current turn-around time at Magpul? I ordered a sling/mount and just curious when they might show up.

Ordered on Valentine's day, received it on the 23, IIRC.

elanaiba
1 March 2009, 03:12
I'm intrigued by the metal ring on the endplate. Why can't it be taken down? The Magpul sling hook could connect directly to the endplate, without that ring ?!

5thprofession47
1 March 2009, 21:49
I'm intrigued by the metal ring on the endplate. Why can't it be taken down? The Magpul sling hook could connect directly to the endplate, without that ring ?!

I think the metal ring gives the entire set up a little more range of motion during use.

StrapR
3 March 2009, 01:35
When you guys ordered was there any indication as to wheterh the items were in stock at the time of the order?

I ordered on 2/26/09 but I have no way to tell if the gear was still in stock or not. Three notes to Magpul but still no response.

Stickman
3 March 2009, 09:57
I ordered on 2/26/09 but I have no way to tell if the gear was still in stock or not. Three notes to Magpul but still no response.

Call Magpul, talk to Justin Beard, and he will take good care of you.

StrapR
3 March 2009, 10:15
Thanks Stick! I'll give that a shot.

No pun intended!!![wow]

spartacus_seven6
25 April 2009, 09:51
I had the same issue, when I placed my order Amanda from magpul emailed me saying there would be a considerable wait due to demand and the SHOT show. Not to sound trite but ...stay on them. I ended up emailing Amanda and explaining my situation and recieved my sling not to long after that.
BUT....
Dont be a jackass like me and send a thank you email after you get to play with it mentioning "great kit! let me know when more are available so I can set one up for my comp gun.." OR she may go ahead and place that second order no questions asked lmao. Serious...

All in all great piece of gear. I am running the endplate and sling on a issue carbine and the ability to transition from weak to strong side is outstanding! Along with quickly moving from single point to two point configurations...IMO this is going to be the sling to beat. The quality of construction looks rock solid.
More to follow...