PDA

View Full Version : Glock or Ruger?

GunnerJacky
6 October 2015, 01:06
Hey guys, I'm planning to buy another pistol for myself. I have been using Ruger for 5 years. Now want to try Glock. Which according to you is the best gun brand - Glock or Ruger?

Joelski
6 October 2015, 04:00
Oh boy...

+1 for the G gun!

alamo5000
6 October 2015, 06:25
"Which one is better"... ughhh. I dislike those kinds of questions for the most part. Any time you have a solid and good gun that isn't a POS then that is a 'good gun'. Saying blanketly that 'this is better than that'... not my bag. Unless there are specific reasons you (or anyone else) says that then it's not really a brand thing, at least not among the reputable manufacturers for the most part. That said some brands I will steer clear of.

I've taken probably a dozen or more people shopping for pistols and the first thing we do is decide (before we ever go) what the gun is going to be used for. After that we decide which one fits the shooter the best and is most comfortable. That narrows it down a lot. After that it's a matter of preference among good choices.

Either way I vote Sig [:D]

I do understand that Glocks have a huge following and are supposed to be awesome. I have never owned a Glock so I can't say one way or another (from personal experience). I personally have never been drawn to Glocks but it's not like I have anything against them.

BoilerUp
6 October 2015, 06:53
Both make fine pistols. Glock has much better adoption by military and law enforcement. Ruger SR9 has a manual safety if that's your preference.

DeviantLogic
6 October 2015, 12:23
Everything that alamo5000 said...except for the Sig part. :) What's it going to be used for? EDC? Nightstand gun? Glove compartment accessory? I personally like having multiple of the same make, just different sizes for different situations (ie G22, G23, G27, or M&P Full Size, Compact, Shield).

Uffdaphil
6 October 2015, 13:34
Glock for DA. CZ or Sig for DA/SA. A number of 1911s for pure SA Zen bliss.

Txfilmmaker
6 October 2015, 13:55
Glock, M&P and Springfield are all pretty solid. I'm a lefty so I went with the M&P. If it does not have to be compact, HK VP9 and Walther PPQ M2 are nice choices with great triggers. Glock is definitely a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GunnerJacky
16 November 2015, 22:30
Thank you guys for your responses. I have changed my mind, now I'm considering to buy either HK USP or SIG P226. After long time thinking I finally decided to leave both Glock and Ruger. The thread was about which gun was better. I have asked my friends to vote and they voted highest on HK USP and SIG P226.

DeviantLogic
16 November 2015, 22:44
Smart friends...I agree that you should buy both. [:D]

Former11B
16 November 2015, 22:56
If it's between the HK and the Sig, grab a 226. They also make great suppressor hosts

Eric
17 November 2015, 02:02
Everybody needs at least one Glock 19.

toolboxluis00200
17 November 2015, 03:26
Everybody needs at least one Glock 19.

+1

Pyzik
17 November 2015, 04:09
Buy whichever is more comfortable and whichever you can shoot better.

That being said, you can train to shoot any gun good. Just takes time and practice.

Do you plan on leaving it stock and just shooting it the way it is?
Obviously Glock has WAY, way more accessory manufacturers out there. Probably every single part of a Glock is replaceable with an aftermarket part.

voodoo_man
17 November 2015, 06:18
Glock 19

/thread

BoilerUp
17 November 2015, 06:36
You haven't stated what the intended purpose of the handgun is so it's hard to offer any real advice. If you are just adding to your collection and it will be a range toy, then it doesn't really matter. But let me assume that you want it for defensive purposes, to include concealed carry. In that case, forget the P226. It's an excellent pistol, but it's also a dinosaur. Besides representing the most advanced small arms design technology of 1984, the thing weighs 34 oz. That makes for a stable shooter, but probably not something you want to tuck in your belt and go run errands with. I haven't shot a 226 in many years, but the last Sig I shot (a P230) also annoyed me with how high the bore axis is, and I believe the 226 is similar. The USP is also an 80's design, but at least it incorporates a polymer frame to make the weight reasonable (27 oz).

All that said, I'm in the school of thought that believes defensive handguns for the common citizen should be extremely simple and consistent in operation. Therefore, I prefer striker fired pistols for their consistent trigger pull on ever shot (no DA/SA for me) and no external controls to manipulate when putting the weapon into actions (e.g., no external safety). Now, a lot of people grew up on things like 1911s or even P226s so they have become accustomed to these platforms, but for new shooters or those who train infrequently, simplicity rules. This type of thinking has driven a lot of gun manufacturers to essentially follow Glock's lead and produce simple striker fired pistols. You have Glock, Springfield, S&W M&P, FN, Ruger and now, finaly, even HK with their VP9. Personally, my next handgun purchase will almost certainly be a VP9, but I'd steer anyone towards choosing whichever 9mm Glock, M&P, or VP9 feels most comfortable to the shooter.

For the record, my opinion is worth exactly what you are paying for it. Here is the opinion of some guys that have a bit better of a reputation for knowing the subject matter: https://vimeo.com/115557332

voodoo_man
17 November 2015, 06:41
Oh look, a video about people talking about pistols that they've never carried concealed...

Yep, exactly the people I want telling me what I need to be doing.

/sarcasm

BoilerUp
17 November 2015, 06:58
Oh look, a video about people talking about pistols that they've never carried concealed...

Yep, exactly the people I want telling me what I need to be doing.

/sarcasm

Right, neither of those guys have ever carried concealed in their lives. Your hatred of those two is unhealthy. You should probably talk to someone about it before Haley posts another video review of a new product.

voodoo_man
17 November 2015, 07:03
Right, neither of those guys have ever carried concealed in their lives. Your hatred of those two is unhealthy. You should probably talk to someone about it before Haley posts another video review of a new product.

Hate is a strong word that is out of context here. Just for comparison, I hate the POS muj's that killed people in Paris, these two, not even close.

I am just pointing out the facts, if they bother you.....

BoilerUp
17 November 2015, 07:07
Hate is a strong word that is out of context here. Just for comparison, I hate the POS muj's that killed people in Paris, these two, not even close.

I am just pointing out the facts, if they bother you.....

Mainly I'm just giving you $hit because your reaction to any video from Haley does actually seem a bit unhealthy. But I do challenge the "fact" that these guys never carry concealed. I'm sure the early part of their careers mostly involved tactical style external holsters but they've both been out of that game for a while now and I doubt either of these guys even goes out for donuts w/o carrying.

I'd actually be more interested in hearing your opinion on the subject, especially where you disagree with the duo.

voodoo_man
17 November 2015, 07:08
Just so we have a contrast...here's a guy who carries a gun everyday, might know a thing or two about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSoN143S_Jg

voodoo_man
17 November 2015, 07:13
Mainly I'm just giving you $hit because your reaction to any video from Haley does actually seem a bit unhealthy. But I do challenge the "fact" that these guys never carry concealed. I'm sure the early part of their careers mostly involved tactical style external holsters but they've both been out of that game for a while now and I doubt either of these guys even goes out for donuts w/o carrying.

I'd actually be more interested in hearing your opinion on the subject, especially where you disagree with the duo.

Haley has been caught lying on several occasions. Has he been in some shit? Yep. Was it in the US, while carrying a pistol concealed? Nope. I'd really be interested to know if he in fact carries a pistol concealed, as his video's of the INCOG (which is a horrible holster) make me believe he doesn't and is just saying he is. I don't even care to speak about Costa or his conceal carry or whatnot.

I can only speak from what I see, as someone who carries a gun for a living and seeing others who say they do but their actions (based on the video's they post) are contrary to that...

You'd have to give me specific points you want me to talk about.

DutyUse
17 November 2015, 07:51
I'm gonna agree with voodoo on this one... Kyle Defoor is probably a good source expert to look to

toolboxluis00200
17 November 2015, 09:58
You haven't stated what the intended purpose of the handgun is so it's hard to offer any real advice. If you are just adding to your collection and it will be a range toy, then it doesn't really matter. But let me assume that you want it for defensive purposes, to include concealed carry. In that case, forget the P226. It's an excellent pistol, but it's also a dinosaur. Besides representing the most advanced small arms design technology of 1984, the thing weighs 34 oz. That makes for a stable shooter, but probably not something you want to tuck in your belt and go run errands with. I haven't shot a 226 in many years, but the last Sig I shot (a P230) also annoyed me with how high the bore axis is, and I believe the 226 is similar. The USP is also an 80's design, but at least it incorporates a polymer frame to make the weight reasonable (27 oz).

All that said, I'm in the school of thought that believes defensive handguns for the common citizen should be extremely simple and consistent in operation. Therefore, I prefer striker fired pistols for their consistent trigger pull on ever shot (no DA/SA for me) and no external controls to manipulate when putting the weapon into actions (e.g., no external safety). Now, a lot of people grew up on things like 1911s or even P226s so they have become accustomed to these platforms, but for new shooters or those who train infrequently, simplicity rules. This type of thinking has driven a lot of gun manufacturers to essentially follow Glock's lead and produce simple striker fired pistols. You have Glock, Springfield, S&W M&P, FN, Ruger and now, finaly, even HK with their VP9. Personally, my next handgun purchase will almost certainly be a VP9, but I'd steer anyone towards choosing whichever 9mm Glock, M&P, or VP9 feels most comfortable to the shooter.

For the record, my opinion is worth exactly what you are paying for it. Here is the opinion of some guys that have a bit better of a reputation for knowing the subject matter: https://vimeo.com/115557332

VD look your favoret friend lol

Bronco75
17 November 2015, 11:37
I don't think there is anything all that appealing about a Glock at all. That being said, more often than not, there is a G19 on my hip every day. I am a 1911 guy in preference, but I have the most faith in my G19.

BoilerUp
17 November 2015, 17:58
Haley has been caught lying on several occasions. Has he been in some shit? Yep. Was it in the US, while carrying a pistol concealed? Nope. I'd really be interested to know if he in fact carries a pistol concealed, as his video's of the INCOG (which is a horrible holster) make me believe he doesn't and is just saying he is. I don't even care to speak about Costa or his conceal carry or whatnot.

I can only speak from what I see, as someone who carries a gun for a living and seeing others who say they do but their actions (based on the video's they post) are contrary to that...

You'd have to give me specific points you want me to talk about.

I'm not here to defend anyone. That's disappointing to hear about Haley. Seems like a good enough guy, but I'm no fanboy. I did learn quite a few things from the MagPul dynamics videos. Thanks for the Defoor video. I need to spend more time listening to what he has to say. On the subject matter at hand, though, he seems to be an agreement on a simple, mid-size striker fired weapon like the G19 and the go-to. I'm a G19 fan boy although I do expect to give the VP9 a try next year.

Looking back, it seems you thought G19 is the simple answer to this thread, so I think you, me, Travis, Chris, and Kyle all agree on the striker fired 9mm as the go-to choice.

din
18 November 2015, 23:58
I just saw a lot of words. I CC a Government model 1911. I'm also 6'6" and don't mind the weight and limited mag capacity. If you're a giant, get a 1911. Otherwise, get the Glock.

GunnerJacky
14 December 2015, 03:12
Glock guns are coming with scratches, that's what I have heard from my friends who recently bought this gun. May be, the Glock gun storage guys are not handling the firearms with care.

GOST
14 December 2015, 04:30
The new Glocks I've handled look the same as they always have.

Dstrbdmedic167
14 December 2015, 06:36
I haven't seen that at my local shop either. Look as good as they always have....

MonkeyBomb
14 December 2015, 08:50
Scratches? LOL, every one I have gotten looked just fine from the dealer or armorer. Heck they even look decent (as decent as Glock can) after carrying them for years and not being real worried about hurting them. They are a tool. Not something to be babied. Get one and shoot it. Get quality instruction and continue.

DutyUse
14 December 2015, 11:13
Might be late to the party but I saw the new gray framed Glocks recently when I dropped off a lower. Pretty cool I guess. I'm still partial to OD tho

As far as scratches go i encourage them. In fact I maintain the illusion I shoot more then I do by winging my guns at objects as often as is practical. You can't be to tacticool these days :D

GunnerJacky
17 December 2015, 00:05
I feel sorry for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVXE5kLb7_I

SINNER
17 December 2015, 02:27
I feel sorry for him too. Must be hard to go through life being that stupid.

steveptr
17 December 2015, 08:57
He made me feel better about my self. I had a rough day yesterday and this guy..... well he's got a rough day every day

yee yee trucks and guns