PDA

View Full Version : BUIS Guide Discussion

Uglyduck
9 February 2009, 20:51
I thought it might be helpful to have a discussion thread that pertains to the two BUIS Guides. So, with the admins. blessing here it is. Below are the links to the Front and Rear BUIS guides.

Rear (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6)
Front, Rail Mounted (http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7)

After reading the guides a couple of questions came to mind;

Which Front and Rear BUIS have the lowest profile when closed?
Which HK style front BUIS would be the optimal selection to pair with the Brownells 360 rear BUIS for flip up HK Diopter sights?

Army Chief
9 February 2009, 21:34
Not sure about the lowest profile, but it might be more instructive if we start from an existing baseline, such as the Troys.

Are there other BUIS variants that come in under those (dimensionally)?

AC

Uglyduck
9 February 2009, 21:47
Troy Rear- .460
MI SPLP- .4375
And Hahn precision claims to have the lowest but I have not seen any figures to support that.

Army Chief
9 February 2009, 22:48
Perfect! Now we're onto something ... :)

AC

Uglyduck
13 February 2009, 08:02
anyone happen to have any info on Hahn Precision's rear BUIS?

Stickman
13 February 2009, 12:48
I've heard about it, but not actually seen or used one. Nor am I familiar with anyone who uses one on their weapon.

Hopefully someone here will be able to give some first hand input.

Uglyduck
15 February 2009, 14:03
Here is some more info on the Hahn Precision rear BUIS. This may be more appropriate in the guide itself rather than this discussion but I'll leave that for admin to decide.

Hahn Preicsion Rear BUIS

This rear BUIS delivers a stream lined and simple design with a low profile that will prevent snagging. It uses standard A1 hardware for easy serviceability and nylon tipped allen screws to secure the body to the upper receiver without marring the finish. The forward edge is sloped, providing easy access to optics. It was designed to be be reliable with the K.i.S.S. concept in mind.

Length 2.15” (5.4cm)
Width 1.2” (3 cm)
Height .9” (23mm)
Weight 1.53 oz. (42g)
Aperture diameter .117”

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/d418f303f8e87e8c1687208b3cf4571a.jpg

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/13aa3bf45cf671a1ecb556abfef5a6af.jpg

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/317355e79278c513dc0745fd59244197.jpg

Information and photos courtesy of Rainier Arms and Brownells

Stickman
15 February 2009, 15:06
That info, and new pictures will go in the guide. I now have one of the sights sitting in front of me.

jmart
21 February 2009, 11:17
Stick,

What is the purpose of the third hole, at the rear of the sight? It looks threaded. Does that serve as a third point for a screw used to secure the sight?

Stickman
21 February 2009, 20:05
It looks like an additional attachment method, but I don't see a method of doing it. I'm really not sure what its there for. Its always possible its a point used in the manufacturing process.

Uglyduck
13 March 2009, 23:49
Anyone have experience with the Knights Armament flip front sight for the RAS? KAC (http://www.knightarmco.com/mod_weapons_2.htm)

Stickman
14 March 2009, 10:05
Anyone have experience with the Knights Armament flip front sight for the RAS? KAC (http://www.knightarmco.com/mod_weapons_2.htm)

Yes, and I really like it. I need to get it added to the BUIS guide.

Venom
15 March 2009, 02:04
Stick, have you checked out the new WilsonCombat gasblock flip up ?

Stickman
15 March 2009, 11:55
Stick, have you checked out the new WilsonCombat gasblock flip up ?

I've seen a couple very small images, not much else.

Venom
15 March 2009, 13:22
same here. If you find some more info or get one yourself, pictures and opinion pls

Venom
4 April 2009, 16:17
maybe some of you guys know; is there a how to dissasemble a standard ar15 rear sight guide somewhere?
wanted to put tritium on my CH

Stickman
4 April 2009, 16:39
Down load the military manual, and its pretty straight forward. Its really not a difficult process once you do it.

Venom
5 April 2009, 01:58
thx

Uglyduck
6 May 2009, 20:51
Yes, and I really like it. I need to get it added to the BUIS guide.

Stick, any profile photos of the KAC sight mounted? I'm curious how low profile it is.

Stickman
6 May 2009, 21:24
If you mean the front KAC folder, its been added to the front BUIS thread for awhile in the review section. If there is a different one you mean, let me know.

Uglyduck
8 July 2009, 17:36
I have a couple of questions for Centurion Arms C4 Diopter users. The apertures are for light conditions, not elevation, correct? Elevation adjustments are done on the rear sight with an HK adjustment tool as well because the front sight is just a blade and not like a standard front sight, correct?

jester
8 July 2009, 17:55
I have a couple of questions for Centurion Arms C4 Diopter users. The apertures are for light conditions, not elevation, correct? Elevation adjustments are done on the rear sight with an HK adjustment tool as well because the front sight is just a blade and not like a standard front sight, correct?

I'm not sure...I want to say all the different sized apertures are same plane, but I could be wrong. You can replace the rear sight drum assembly with any HK drum though. Right now I'm using a set of genuine 416 sights with a HK91/G3 drum on the back since it's mounted on an LR308 AP4. The G3 drum apertures are all the same small size (except for the V-notch) but calibrated for 7.62 BDC.

Correct, elevation adjustment is done on the rear with an HK tool on the C4s. Correct, the front sight is a non-adjustable HK blade that is always centered in the circle.

Standard procedure for me is to soak rear drum assemblies in PB Blaster penetrating oil when I first get them and use a set of $10 needle-nose pliers. I don't actually own the HK tool.

HeavyDuty
9 May 2010, 10:51
That info, and new pictures will go in the guide. I now have one of the sights sitting in front of me.

Stick, did you ever do a writeup on the Hahn Precision rear BUIS? I can't find anything in the guide or elsewhere.

HeavyDuty
24 May 2010, 17:39
I just received a Hahn Precision rear BUIS from Brownells and got it mounted up. I'll try and take a few pics and write up a real review over the holiday weekend, but I have to say I'm impressed with what I'm seeing so far. It mounts up *solid*.

HeavyDuty
24 May 2010, 17:41
It looks like an additional attachment method, but I don't see a method of doing it. I'm really not sure what its there for. Its always possible its a point used in the manufacturing process.

I asked Dustin Hahn about that third hole, and he confirmed it was just an artifact from the manufacturing process.

Stickman
29 May 2010, 07:28
I just received a Hahn Precision rear BUIS from Brownells and got it mounted up. I'll try and take a few pics and write up a real review over the holiday weekend, but I have to say I'm impressed with what I'm seeing so far. It mounts up *solid*.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts.