PDA

View Full Version : What's your AR15 collection like and should I slim down mine?

nijikon84
12 October 2015, 15:27
Going to probably engage in blasphemy with this topic/discussion.

I got the addiction bad the last two years. Both long guns and hand guns.

I went from a single DDM4V5 to the following:

Glock19
Springfield 1911 TRP
Wilson Combat CQB Elite
Sphinx SDP Compact
Sig P226 MK25

Noveske Gen3 Recon
KAC SR15 Mod2
LaRue PredatOBR 762
BCM BFH ELW KMR 14.5
BCM 11.5 Pistol
Strongside Tactical 16"

So the thing is, I don't even have time to bring most of them to shoot regularly. Normally, I just bring a rifle and 2 handguns to the range. I was thinking of trimming my handgun collection to 3, but I'm in CA. Outside of the TRP, I wouldn't be able to buy any of the other 4 due to some BS Commiefornia legislation that passed.

I did go overboard with all the AR builds with different profiles/barrel steels ect ect. I was thinking about possibly going down to just the KAC, LaRue, BCM Pistol and possibly an SPR Build. The only thing that's primarily holding me back is how bad the current market is for sellers.

What about everyone else? How do your collections look? I'm I just being stupid [BD] Should I just keep everything and find time to give them love at the range?

voodoo_man
12 October 2015, 15:36
I am a minimalist and would not have a firearm that doesn't serve a purpose.

I am also not behind enemy lines with bullshit laws.

Keep everything and just really consider other firearms before you decide to purchase anything else.

toolboxluis00200
12 October 2015, 15:39
That glock is junk send it to me for proper disposal

Jerry R
12 October 2015, 16:07
Keep everything, and cycle them through range visits.

Sadly, in uncertain times, acquisition may become an increasing problem. "Things" don't look all that bad now, but they can change very quickly, and without a lot of notice. Not to be all "doom and gloom" but unless you are really fat in an item (or motivated by financial issues), I think you would be ill-advised to start dumping firearms.

Swapping or trading for newer or different, is one thing. Completely losing items (by choice or not) isn't a situation I ever want to be in.

Bronco75
12 October 2015, 16:35
Selling guns is like a yoyo diet...you end up getting them all back and they bring friends. I would just buy the larger safe at this point and get ahead of the game.

Also...keep an eye on that barrel pin on that LaRue...they are having an issue with the barrel nut loosening during use and this causes stress on the barrel pin and it gets loose.

JGifford
12 October 2015, 17:29
1 factory DD SBR'ed lower. w/SF 212-556 Still deciding on what upper to buy for it. Likely a 12.5". It started out as a 10.3" 300BLK, and I dumped the caliber because it bored me.
1 16.1" DDM4 w/SF 212-556/Comp M4S
1 Hodge Defense MOD 2 (pending) w/SF 556 SOCOM MINI/Nightforce 1-4 FC-2 w/PTL in a Mil-spec NF Unimount (pending)

M&P Shield 9mm
M&P 22 w/Spectre II
M&P 9FS w/ Trijicon HD's, X300U, bobbed and stippled
P226 Elite ST 357 SIG with Trijicons, QPQ finish, and Bruce Gray's personal touches.

(pending)---things that are in the bag that I am just waiting on.

alamo5000
12 October 2015, 18:32
I personally have 7 or 8 pistols not including the preexisting ones that I am the only one that shoots...

I have an AK and a custom built AR that I build less than a year ago. Hunting rifles and shotguns I have a bunch. Not all are technically mine but I can use them any time.

As far as AR's go I would like to have several more in various configurations.

My want list is pretty long to be honest and I don't think I will ever be done getting stuff. If I had more money a good chunk would be dedicated to firearms and ammo.

Can I shoot them all? No, probably not, not all at once for sure. The good thing is I have never had a gun spoil on me or go bad on me yet.

For me it's a fun and engaging hobby.

GaSwamper
12 October 2015, 20:07
Just don't get into wildcats! Think ya got problems now, that bug is a mutha!!

din
12 October 2015, 20:38
Don't sell anything, move out of California.

Joelski
13 October 2015, 03:56
"Why do you need all those?"

My answer is I like them, I want them, and it's my right to own as many as I want.

As long as my interest and means allow me to have what I want, I will. The price of constitutional rights was the blood of our ancestors. That same price is paid today to maintain its intent, and I will not dishonor that sacrifice by discounting any part of the Constition, or Bill of Rights.

Get friends involved and sell to them at the discount you'd eat selling to a stranger in today's soft market. This arms those who are near and dear and also makes room for that next build without giving your guns away at stupid discounts. It also has the benefit of making you go shooting and take more guns with you more often.

Joelski
13 October 2015, 03:57
Don't sell anything, move out of California.

That too!

titanse05
13 October 2015, 04:36
Don't sell anything, move out of California.Simply put and right on the money.

DeviantLogic
13 October 2015, 04:45
Another argument for holding onto them... Quality firearms have a way of appreciating in value over time. A NIB Colt green label could be had in the early 90's for $850-$950. They're now selling for $2,000+. Just keep good care of 'em and they'll be a worthwhile investment.

JGifford
13 October 2015, 05:21
Another argument for holding onto them... Quality firearms have a way of appreciating in value over time. A NIB Colt green label could be had in the early 90's for $850-$950. They're now selling for $2,000+. Just keep good care of 'em and they'll be a worthwhile investment.

In the last decade, Colt 6920's have gone DOWN in price, even though the dollar is worth less.

Uffdaphil
13 October 2015, 05:27
Really top shelf bunch of guns. The only way I would sell one is to a friend to get them into shooting with you. But where are the .22s? My little AR, and 10-22 are so fun to shoot and cheap. Don't much care for rimfire semis, but the 9 shot top break revolver is a joy. And from a prepping viewpoint the ammo is prime currency.

DeviantLogic
13 October 2015, 06:36
In the last decade, Colt 6920's have gone DOWN in price, even though the dollar is worth less.

Yes, I agree. However they are still selling for over twice what somebody paid for them originally. Not every firearm goes up in value, but a quality firearm will hold it's value.

nijikon84
13 October 2015, 11:13
Thanks for the advice guys.

Really sound stuff, I'm going to keep everything and just cycle through shooting it like Jerry and others have suggested.

As far as moving from California. Living here is not by choice. Family is here, grew up here, and attended UCLA.

My wife is a transplant and I live in an Chinese/Asian-American area. She feels very comfortable here. Even if I wanted to move out of state, I wouldn't know where to begin to search for jobs. Gun laws and taxes suck here, but I don't think I'd be able to find comparable employment/compensation somewhere else.

DeviantLogic
13 October 2015, 11:41
Good call. I'm happy that you're in California. We need more normal people like you living over there so things don't go to shit completely.

Naytwan
13 October 2015, 13:09

Glock19
Springfield 1911 TRP
Wilson Combat CQB Elite
Sphinx SDP Compact
Sig P226 MK25

Noveske Gen3 Recon
KAC SR15 Mod2
LaRue PredatOBR 762
BCM BFH ELW KMR 14.5
BCM 11.5 Pistol
Strongside Tactical 16"

So the thing is, I don't even have time to bring most of them to shoot regularly. Normally, I just bring a rifle and 2 handguns to the range. I was thinking of trimming my handgun collection to 3, but I'm in CA. Outside of the TRP, I wouldn't be able to buy any of the other 4 due to some BS Commiefornia legislation that passed.

I did go overboard with all the AR builds with different profiles/barrel steels ect ect. I was thinking about possibly going down to just the KAC, LaRue, BCM Pistol and possibly an SPR Build. The only thing that's primarily holding me back is how bad the current market is for sellers.

What about everyone else? How do your collections look? I'm I just being stupid [BD] Should I just keep everything and find time to give them love at the range?

I don't understand the problem here. Looks fine to me.

velocity2006
13 October 2015, 14:06
Collection looks good, but you need some bolt guns in there.

JGifford
13 October 2015, 19:11
Thanks for the advice guys.

Really sound stuff, I'm going to keep everything and just cycle through shooting it like Jerry and others have suggested.

As far as moving from California. Living here is not by choice. Family is here, grew up here, and attended UCLA.

My wife is a transplant and I live in an Chinese/Asian-American area. She feels very comfortable here. Even if I wanted to move out of state, I wouldn't know where to begin to search for jobs. Gun laws and taxes suck here, but I don't think I'd be able to find comparable employment/compensation somewhere else.

Lots of transplants here in NW AR where I live. Don't know what your wife and you do for work, though.

alamo5000
13 October 2015, 19:38

What kind of work do you do?

Houston has I think the second or the third largest Chinese population in the United States. There is plenty of opportunity for that around Houston. We have a pretty good income tax rate here. As in we do not have an income tax. It doesn't exist. Every year all you file is your federal tax and that's it. The cost of living is also way lower, especially compared to California and the gun laws are very friendly. Depending on what you do for a living it might be something to consider.

nijikon84
13 October 2015, 21:46
What kind of work do you do?

Houston has I think the second or the third largest Chinese population in the United States. There is plenty of opportunity for that around Houston. We have a pretty good income tax rate here. As in we do not have an income tax. It doesn't exist. Every year all you file is your federal tax and that's it. The cost of living is also way lower, especially compared to California and the gun laws are very friendly. Depending on what you do for a living it might be something to consider.

Oregon, Arizona, and Texas would be the top 3 places I'd like to live.

I work in Import/Export, Business Development at a Freight Forwarding Company. Originally, I was going to go to Law School, but worked a few years and ended up getting married. I'm actually potentially switching to an LEO soon though.

As far as Texas, I know about the Asian/Chinese American population, especially in Houston. I believe Houston and Dallas also has a good size of Vietnamese Americans that settled post Vietnam War. I would definitely be interested in living somewhere like Sugarland. My wife works as a External Auditor at a medium sized accounting firm. She'll be a CPA by years end with at least 2 years of audit experience which should allow her also to sign off on certain audit reports and/or tests ( I'm not an accountant, so I'm not sure exactly how it works ).

Living here in California is primarily more convenient for my wife and my in laws who will likely move and retire stateside soon. I grew up in a lot of non-Asian communities, but then spent over half my life in an Asian-American community, I would feel comfortable where ever I go.

The no income tax at the state level ( knew this because during the whole Dwight Howard free agency, the sports talk show hosts made a big deal about it ) and very friendly gun laws would be amazing. I'd also love to own a big piece of land one day. However, I don't think the wife cares for those things at all.

UWone77
13 October 2015, 21:54

Glock19
Springfield 1911 TRP
Wilson Combat CQB Elite
Sphinx SDP Compact
Sig P226 MK25

Noveske Gen3 Recon
KAC SR15 Mod2
LaRue PredatOBR 762
BCM BFH ELW KMR 14.5
BCM 11.5 Pistol
Strongside Tactical 16"

I don't see enough guns listed. [:D]

Let's do your part in reviving the economy by at least tripling that.

alamo5000
13 October 2015, 22:08
Oregon, Arizona, and Texas would be the top 3 places I'd like to live.

I work in Import/Export, Business Development at a Freight Forwarding Company. Originally, I was going to go to Law School, but worked a few years and ended up getting married. I'm actually potentially switching to an LEO soon though.

As far as Texas, I know about the Asian/Chinese American population, especially in Houston. I believe Houston and Dallas also has a good size of Vietnamese Americans that settled post Vietnam War. I would definitely be interested in living somewhere like Sugarland. My wife works as a External Auditor at a medium sized accounting firm. She'll be a CPA by years end with at least 2 years of audit experience which should allow her also to sign off on certain audit reports and/or tests ( I'm not an accountant, so I'm not sure exactly how it works ).

Living here in California is primarily more convenient for my wife and my in laws who will likely move and retire stateside soon. I grew up in a lot of non-Asian communities, but then spent over half my life in an Asian-American community, I would feel comfortable where ever I go.

The no income tax at the state level ( knew this because during the whole Dwight Howard free agency, the sports talk show hosts made a big deal about it ) and very friendly gun laws would be amazing. I'd also love to own a big piece of land one day. However, I don't think the wife cares for those things at all.

I am not married so I have no opinion on how you should go about convincing your wife to move :)

There is a frickin' huge Vietnamese and Chinese population around Houston. I always go down there and get food. I am not Asian but I have lived in Asia for a long time prior to my most recent return.

With your career and hers it honestly sounds like you two would have a heyday around Houston. Both of those things are in high demand.

In Houston the biggest industries are by far oil, law, and medicine. That said I know a few people that do freight forwarding and logistics and stuff like that. TONS of that going on. All that equipment they use for oil fields in Timbuktoo has to get from here to there somehow. Houston has a massive manufacturing industry but it tends to get lumped in with the other industries I mentioned... oil and medical. For a while my brother was building deep sea submersibles--- basically mini submarines that they export all over the world to work on oil platforms. They don't care that it's a frickin' submarine, they just say it's part of the oil industry.

I can tell you for sure that your wife's line of business is in extremely high demand. She will be able to write her own ticket here.

Sugarland is ok. That's on the opposite side from me but I have been down there a few times.

In Houston there is a substantial amount of wealth. When I used to work down town it was just un frickin believable how wealthy some people are around here. Honestly I don't know your situation but the cost of living is way less here than there so you can get way ahead financially. It's just as simple as that. 1/2 the living cost. You can buy a small house for under a hundred grand. Given you might be in the hood. A decent area you might spend a couple hundred on up to 20 or 30 million dollars or more.

Around Houston though you won't be entirely around Asian people all the time unless you just try to be by moving into Chinatown and never leaving. Most people live in whatever other kind of area and just go to Chinatown or wherever or hit up the Asian stores or any of the 9 million places to eat. And as I said, its a mix of Asian. Not just all one thing. Chinese and Vietnamese are the biggest. Some Koreans but not too many. Almost no Japanese. A few SE Asians...and a small but growing India town. Long story short it's very diverse. A friend and I started eating out in different places and we lost track at I think 35 different countries food... You literally can eat a different country's food every single day for a month and never eat the same thing twice.

Lots of Africans (Nigerians mainly) and lots of Middle Eastern people too. You really should give it a go. I personally wouldn't know what to do if I moved somewhere with crappy gun laws and income taxes.

nijikon84
13 October 2015, 23:27
I don't see enough guns listed. [:D]

Let's do your part in reviving the economy by at least tripling that.

Sigh...

I guess we all have to do our part!

On my current budget, if the WEVO Kitty is still around next week I'll pick that up along with the Battle Arms Forged Lower I been wanting.

Now if you called RA to hold them aside for a week, I guess that's two more lowers I must eventually finish for our economy!

nijikon84
13 October 2015, 23:34
I am not married so I have no opinion on how you should go about convincing your wife to move :)

There is a frickin' huge Vietnamese and Chinese population around Houston. I always go down there and get food. I am not Asian but I have lived in Asia for a long time prior to my most recent return.

With your career and hers it honestly sounds like you two would have a heyday around Houston. Both of those things are in high demand.

In Houston the biggest industries are by far oil, law, and medicine. That said I know a few people that do freight forwarding and logistics and stuff like that. TONS of that going on. All that equipment they use for oil fields in Timbuktoo has to get from here to there somehow. Houston has a massive manufacturing industry but it tends to get lumped in with the other industries I mentioned... oil and medical. For a while my brother was building deep sea submersibles--- basically mini submarines that they export all over the world to work on oil platforms. They don't care that it's a frickin' submarine, they just say it's part of the oil industry.

I can tell you for sure that your wife's line of business is in extremely high demand. She will be able to write her own ticket here.

Sugarland is ok. That's on the opposite side from me but I have been down there a few times.

In Houston there is a substantial amount of wealth. When I used to work down town it was just un frickin believable how wealthy some people are around here. Honestly I don't know your situation but the cost of living is way less here than there so you can get way ahead financially. It's just as simple as that. 1/2 the living cost. You can buy a small house for under a hundred grand. Given you might be in the hood. A decent area you might spend a couple hundred on up to 20 or 30 million dollars or more.

Around Houston though you won't be entirely around Asian people all the time unless you just try to be by moving into Chinatown and never leaving. Most people live in whatever other kind of area and just go to Chinatown or wherever or hit up the Asian stores or any of the 9 million places to eat. And as I said, its a mix of Asian. Not just all one thing. Chinese and Vietnamese are the biggest. Some Koreans but not too many. Almost no Japanese. A few SE Asians...and a small but growing India town. Long story short it's very diverse. A friend and I started eating out in different places and we lost track at I think 35 different countries food... You literally can eat a different country's food every single day for a month and never eat the same thing twice.

Lots of Africans (Nigerians mainly) and lots of Middle Eastern people too. You really should give it a go. I personally wouldn't know what to do if I moved somewhere with crappy gun laws and income taxes.

If I ever do move...

I better have enough money ready for all the NFA items I want to buy... Suppressors and SBRs, oh my!

That is honestly the worst thing about CA, no NFA items. Having to use a bullet button/maglock and 10 rd magazines is a minor nuisance at the range.

Not having SBRs and suppressors is just plain sadface. I've had a chance to play around with some cool NFA toys while in Vegas.

din
14 October 2015, 00:39
If I ever do move...

I better have enough money ready for all the NFA items I want to buy... Suppressors and SBRs, oh my!

That is honestly the worst thing about CA, no NFA items. Having to use a bullet button/maglock and 10 rd magazines is a minor nuisance at the range.

Not having SBRs and suppressors is just plain sadface. I've had a chance to play around with some cool NFA toys while in Vegas.

I see lots of road trips to visit board members in your future.

Pyzik
14 October 2015, 05:18
I started gun ownership as a hunter. That turned into starting to collect. Which turned to sporting (clays mostly). Which turned to defensive use.
Now I am somewhat a mix of all, with a gun or two serving a role. I am coming to the point where, if I can't see a role for a certain firearm I don't see a reason to own it (personally).

I've got two ARs. Which are different so it's okay. 14.5" with red dot, 16' (soon to be 18") with a scope.
I've got a 9mm set on the way which will be a pistol and possibly my first SBR.

I'd like to build a .308 but I'd also really like a SCAR down the road so I am not sure where I am going with that. I'd also like a nice bolt gun that could fill this roll as well.

If I were you I wouldn't sell them unless you needed to. They really are a decent investment.

Former11B
14 October 2015, 08:19
There's a lot of coastline outside of California for someone in the Freight/Import/Export business. On the East Coast, just stay Virginia or south-of, and you'll be fine. CPAs are needed everywhere.

I had a friend move to my area a couple years ago after a 0-35 years in San Diego (dad was a SEAL in the Coronado area) and he says he can't believe the sun and temperatures tricked him into staying in California for so long. GET OUT OF THERE!

You may be paid less elsewhere, but the cost of living will most likely be much lower as well. There isn't a paycheck big enough that would make me move there. Sacrificing my freedom for money? No.

nijikon84
14 October 2015, 12:59
I didn't mention it, but I also did pass my US Customs Broker License last October ( even though I stopped working in the Customs Brokerage side of our company ).

I would say the most realistic destination would probably be somewhere around Houston or Seattle if a move were considered.

More realistically would be din's suggestion of visting fellow WEVO members though :p.

I'd love to hunt and try fresh boar sometime next year. Next year might be crazy though, if things go as planned, I will be at an academy for a large LE department in SoCal.

DutyUse
16 October 2015, 21:49
I didn't mention it, but I also did pass my US Customs Broker License last October ( even though I stopped working in the Customs Brokerage side of our company ).

I would say the most realistic destination would probably be somewhere around Houston or Seattle if a move were considered.

More realistically would be din's suggestion of visting fellow WEVO members though :p.

I'd love to hunt and try fresh boar sometime next year. Next year might be crazy though, if things go as planned, I will be at an academy for a large LE department in SoCal.

Seattle and the surrounding area is really nice, we visited some family in Kent a couple years ago and really loved the area and vibe. I'm not real familiar with export but it seems like that would be a prime location.