PDA

View Full Version : Short Barreled Shotgun

tappedandtagged
15 October 2015, 03:52
Anyone have a SBS? Would you do it again?

I've recently received an 870 as a gift from my great-uncle and, since its a keeper, I've thought about putting g a tax stamp on it and cut it down to 12.5". But, since its already a 18" barrel with factory extension, I'm wondering if the tax stamp, transport restrictions (I live in a tri-state area) and reduced capacity is worth the cool factor.

UWone77
15 October 2015, 06:15
I think for a SBS 14.5" is about the shortest I'd get it. But that's just me.

velocity2006
15 October 2015, 08:42
One of those Serbu Shorty setups would be fun also. Not super practical, but basicaly a 3 shot 12 gauge you can put in a glove box.

Pyzik
15 October 2015, 09:50
I REALLY want an SBS. Moreso than an SBR. They're just so sexy.

A friend had a Surbu and he loves that thing.

Dstrbdmedic167
15 October 2015, 10:01
This isn't one of those things that I really ever think much about. Having said that I wouldn't mind a couple just for fun.

As for OP I'd leave your uncles alone since it seems to have to sentimental value and find one you wouldn't mind cutting up but that's me. Unless it was a brand new one from him then go for it!

SwissyJim
15 October 2015, 11:15
I have toyed with getting my Saiga12 done as a SBS... 10" of total fireball fun. Practical? hell no. But the Holy Shit factor would be off the charts. Problem is not as many states are as SBS friendly as they are SBR, and I'm not totally sure where we'll end up in a few years due to the wife's health. if I knew we were staying put I'd send it down to Tromix tomorrow to be done.

schambers
15 October 2015, 13:03
I also vote for the Serbu. $5 AOW tax stamp if I'm not mistaken.

I would personally not want to modify a "heirloom" gun to that extent

baboon
15 October 2015, 13:49
I have a Benelli M4 CQB/Entry gun. It's the best shotgun I ever shot/ owned.

tappedandtagged
15 October 2015, 20:26
That Benelli have a 14" barrel I'm guessing?

As for the heirloom gun, its a 2003 Express that he bought new, loaded, put beside his bed, and left it till he gave it to me.

JoshAston
2 November 2015, 14:40
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/b4ee3f63bba1ca39baf758f802c8c952.jpg

12" Saiga 12. It has Magpul handguards now.

El Cid
28 November 2015, 19:10
I've always wanted a Serbu to keep in my lap during surveillance in some neighborhoods. But a Benelli M4 Entry or a Mossberg 590A1 with a 14" bbl would be all I could want or need in a shotgun.

Deadwing
29 November 2015, 05:11
If SBSs were legal in my state, there would be a Benelli M4 Entry in my safe. Along with a few other shorty shotties... [BD]

tappedandtagged
27 December 2015, 15:12
After much debate, reading and thinking, I submitted the Form 1 today. I Went ahead and put 12.5" for the barrel length after talking with a smith who said he'd be able to cut, crown and move my pedestal front bead sight for around $40-50 (well, he's doing the smithing and is getting someone else to do the silver soldering.

If I don't like it that short, I'll submit a letter to the ATF and buy a factory 14" barrel. Now the wait begins!

JPLMedic
5 February 2016, 13:54
After much debate, reading and thinking, I submitted the Form 1 today. I Went ahead and put 12.5" for the barrel length after talking with a smith who said he'd be able to cut, crown and move my pedestal front bead sight for around $40-50 (well, he's doing the smithing and is getting someone else to do the silver soldering.

If I don't like it that short, I'll submit a letter to the ATF and buy a factory 14" barrel. Now the wait begins!

What's the letter for? Once it's registered isn't it like an SBR change the barrel to whatever you want?

Sent from my stone tablet,using a hammer and chisel.

Deadwing
5 February 2016, 16:33
Directly from the ATF Q&A (https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-short-barrel-sbr-or-sbs-be-replaced-long-barrel-hunting-or-other-purposes-intent): "ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA". BATFE "recommends" you notify them of permanent changes, but does not require it. Put whatever length barrel you want on it after you have your tax stamp in hand.

Jerry R
5 February 2016, 18:21
Please correct me if I am wrong, but if you keep the original "registered" barrel and just add another barrel, you have not "permanently" modified the SBS (or SBR).

Deadwing
5 February 2016, 19:00
Please correct me if I am wrong, but if you keep the original "registered" barrel and just add another barrel, you have not "permanently" modified the SBS (or SBR).

I would even go so far as to say that you could sell the original barrel so long as you retain the ability to return it to the condition in which it was registered, i.e. you didn't weld a barrel of a different length on and can buy another barrel of the same length as the originally registered length.

tappedandtagged
8 February 2016, 00:31
If I go to a 14" barrel, I'd likely sell the 12.5" one to fund the swap. IF there is a swap, it's be a permanent one. I know I don't HAVE to notify the ATF, but I probably will.

In all likelihood, I'll be happy with the 12.5 and never deviate.

I did however, send a cancellation request on the 870 Express. I bought an older Wingmaster and submitted a Form 1 on it instead.