PDA

View Full Version : Forward Controls ABC/R-F

cjd3
16 October 2015, 22:11
http://i.imgur.com/CKtXTu9.jpg

I'm a lefty, and as a lefty, I have the need for ambidextrous controls. I don't want them, I need them. With some Ambi Mag catches, the lower paddle is obscured from easy access. This is why I bought the Forward Controls Augmented Bolt Catch/Release, Forged or ABC/R-F for short. It's a really nice piece of work. It's a well made drop in replacement, but better. With the added material for the oversized control, they have removed some interior metal to bring it down close to the mil spec weight. It's an easy drop in replacement. Nothing needed to be modified, it was pin out, pin in, and done.

http://i.imgur.com/bVTf7GY.jpg

Once in, the new tactile feel is great. It's an easy hit, and when handled left handed, a simple index finger push to the improved lower paddle is all that you need. I'd even install it for other lowers that don't have an ambi mag catch, or have one that doesn't obscure the catch like a Troy. The additional angle to the over sized upper paddle is a nice touch too. Even with thick gloves, it's a cinch.

This is the kind of improvement that should just be spec'd from now on. I didn't know I needed this, and now I'd like to put it on all my rifles.

DutyUse
16 October 2015, 23:27
Nice write up. I'm also sold on FCD products and will be moving away from the seekins mim parts in favor of these forged units moving forward.

Duffy
28 December 2015, 11:28
Thank you DutyUse, I don't know how I missed this [BD]

Though the ABC/R was designed specifically for use with the Norgon Ambi-Catch (along with other ambi mag catches that obscure the bolt catch's lower paddle as you mentioned), many of the ABC/R users do not run an ambi mag catch.

The attributes that enable the ABC/R play nicely with ambi mag catch users are also useful even if the user does not have an ambi mag catch. The angles on the paddles serve to clearly distinguish themselves from other surfaces, making identification easy without a visual.

If you know what your fingers are touching without looking at it, you'd be faster in finding and using it. This is helpful in low / no light operation as well .

mustangfreek
28 December 2015, 22:45
I got one of the EMR's and just got a ABC/ R and it looks like a nice piece and excited to get it mounted and out to try it out