PDA

View Full Version : Bumpfire Systems Stock

Dstrbdmedic167
20 October 2015, 20:06
A video of Slippers and myself using the Bumpfire Systems stock on my 12.5" 223 SBR with my AAC 762-SD Suppressor. I'm a lefty and this stock was made before a left handed option was available so things a bit awkward for me. Slippers kills it though! You'd almost never know this was a Bumpfire as smooth it ran when he got behind it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U6wO6d5gTX0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Xruz5C4inxQ

Slippers
20 October 2015, 20:46
First time I ever saw a bumpfire stock in person, to be honest. But I did spend the entire previous day shooting a multitude of different machineguns, so I had a little practice managing the recoil. :)

DutyUse
21 October 2015, 01:56
Cool video guys. I've always had my doubts about bump fire, that it was a bit hokey and would run sporadically. My wife and I went to Bud's last month and they had a transferable full auto colt for sale @ 17,000$. I got the "Don't even think about it" look but it's been on my mind. I'm thinking a lower set-up like like this might just scratch that F/A itch for me.

Slippers
21 October 2015, 07:32
Cool video guys. I've always had my doubts about bump fire, that it was a bit hokey and would run sporadically. My wife and I went to Bud's last month and they had a transferable full auto colt for sale @ 17,000$. I got the "Don't even think about it" look but it's been on my mind. I'm thinking a lower set-up like like this might just scratch that F/A itch for me.

$17,000 isn't bad. A steel auto sear based Colt lower is close to $30,000 these days according to my friend that took me to the machinegun shoot over the weekend.

If you want to do mag dumps, the bump fire works. But beyond that, it's not like shooting an M16 because there's no accuracy whatsoever. You initiate the bump fire by having the stock collapsed, and pressing your finger across the gap in front of the trigger. You then use your weak hand to push the rifle forward away from you, which causes the trigger to hit your finger, and you go "auto" as long you keep the forward pressure consistent. The act of pushing the rifle away from you makes it nearly impossible to keep your sights on target.

On a real M16, you can line up your sights and pull it in tight, and at least the first 1-3 rounds are going to be close to where you aimed. Makes it possible to hit pop ups at 200 yards offhand with short controlled bursts.

DutyUse
21 October 2015, 12:04
Yea I know comparing a bump-fire to a FA Colt is like saying a Miata is just as good a sports car as BMW M3. Just hard to justify spending almost 20k on a single gun.

Does anyone here have experience with transferable machine guns? Would you recommend it? Is it a good investment? I imagine they are only going up in value as the rarity goes up each year. Anything to look out for?

Slippers
21 October 2015, 13:16
I'm shopping right now, actually. I really want an HK sear, since it works in so many different hosts. I'll probably get an MP5K first, then a Mike's Machines MM23E belt fed.

As for value...based on the appreciation over the past 20 years, there's no reason they won't keep going up. My friend that took me to the machinegun shoot said it's like a decent financial investment that you get to enjoy the entire time you own. Even if they don't increase much, you'll still get your money back out if you decide to liquidate, and you can use it the whole time.

six8
21 October 2015, 15:06
Get sum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerry R
22 October 2015, 08:37
and you can use it the whole time.

Will, any problem acquiring repair parts for an FA lower? Let's say you purchase an FA AR style firearm, and you want to replace the internals based on unknown round count.

WHSmithIV
22 October 2015, 08:52
Yea I know comparing a bump-fire to a FA Colt is like saying a Miata is just as good a sports car as BMW M3. Just hard to justify spending almost 20k on a single gun.

Does anyone here have experience with transferable machine guns? Would you recommend it? Is it a good investment? I imagine they are only going up in value as the rarity goes up each year. Anything to look out for?

My local FFL transfers them and has a few. As an investment? Probably questionable. I know a gatling gun came into the valley last summer. It didn't need a tax stamp transfer though. That could be a better investment. The one that came in last summer was a repro but I think they cost around 5K.

Dstrbdmedic167
22 October 2015, 08:57
My local FFL transfers them and has a few. As an investment? Probably questionable. I know a gatling gun came into the valley last summer. It didn't need a tax stamp transfer though. That could be a better investment. The one that came in last summer was a repro but I think they cost around 5K.

How is it not an investment? I'd love to hear your philosophy on how it is not.... :insert Sarcasm:

UWone77
22 October 2015, 09:09

Actually, Full Auto's have gone up in value like mad the last 15 years or so. You can't really even get into the game for less than 7k. Like Slippers mentioned 17k is a bargain, compared to some I've seen going for 25-30k range.

gatordev
22 October 2015, 10:05
Will, any problem acquiring repair parts for an FA lower? Let's say you purchase an FA AR style firearm, and you want to replace the internals based on unknown round count.

Zero issues. Brownell's stocks Colt FA parts all the time.

Actually, Full Auto's have gone up in value like mad the last 15 years or so. You can't really even get into the game for less than 7k. Like Slippers mentioned 17k is a bargain, compared to some I've seen going for 25-30k range.

As I've continued to watch the market, it seems like it's leveled out over the last year. A1s seem to holding on right around $25K-ish asking, whereas a year or two before, they were climbing pretty fast, as you mentioned. Something to keep in mind is that not all Colts are the same. I'm guessing the $17K Colt Will saw (since it was at a dealer) was a SP1 conversion. A perfectly good machine gun, but not the same thing as a factory AR-15 or factory M16A1 (or A2, etc).

I actually had a completely legit line on not one but two A2 Commandos for $15K each. My wife even admitted it made sense to buy both and fund one by selling the other. Unfortunately the guy who knew about them sat on the info for too long before he passed along the contact info to me and they were already gone. Talk about a steal of the century.

DutyUse
22 October 2015, 19:16
Zero issues. Brownell's stocks Colt FA parts all the time.

As I've continued to watch the market, it seems like it's leveled out over the last year. A1s seem to holding on right around $25K-ish asking, whereas a year or two before, they were climbing pretty fast, as you mentioned. Something to keep in mind is that not all Colts are the same. I'm guessing the $17K Colt Will saw (since it was at a dealer) was a SP1 conversion. A perfectly good machine gun, but not the same thing as a factory AR-15 or factory M16A1 (or A2, etc).

I actually had a completely legit line on not one but two A2 Commandos for $15K each. My wife even admitted it made sense to buy both and fund one by selling the other. Unfortunately the guy who knew about them sat on the info for too long before he passed along the contact info to me and they were already gone. Talk about a steal of the century.

Your spot on, it's a SP1 and it's clear that's it's already lived a full lifetime or two. Finish on the lower is bare in a few spots. Nothing I don't think couldn't be addressed though.

Because it's an SP1 and not a m16, will that kill it's future resale/return on investment? I wouldn't be planning to keep it but a few years and then kick it down the road. I think I've got the Mrs. won over, I'll take some photos when we go back over the weekend. Thanks for the Advice all, I feel like I'm swimming in water a little over my depth honestly.

gatordev
23 October 2015, 05:39
Your spot on, it's a SP1 and it's clear that's it's already lived a full lifetime or two. Finish on the lower is bare in a few spots. Nothing I don't think couldn't be addressed though.

Because it's an SP1 and not a m16, will that kill it's future resale/return on investment? I wouldn't be planning to keep it but a few years and then kick it down the road. I think I've got the Mrs. won over, I'll take some photos when we go back over the weekend. Thanks for the Advice all, I feel like I'm swimming in water a little over my depth honestly.

You can get it reanodized, so the finish isn't too big a deal. That might knock the value down a bit, short-term, but if the value is already "lower" because of the wear, then it might be a wash.

While there's lots of reasons not to hang out on AR15.com, if you go into their NFA section, there's a several forums including one specifically about machine guns that's worth looking over. Yes, there's lots of noise, but if you skim through the threads, you can get some valuable info. For example, worn FCG/sear pin holes can be fixed fairly easy, so if you find that "perfect" MG but it has worn holes, it's not the end of the world. Just don't pay for the worn holes. Another thing to keep your eye on is if the conversion was done correctly. Again, lots of things can be fixed, but you shouldn't be paying a premium if it needs fixing. Seems like if you're seeing this one at Bud's, you should be able to test fire it if you're a serious buyer.

The SP1 will always have less value than a M16 < M16A1 < M16A2 < Commando and so on. But it's still a MG and there's only so many of them. That said, I wouldn't expect to make any money off of your purchase by only hanging on to it for a couple of years. Probably 5 years minimum, but with a 1-2% rate of inflation, you're probably looking at 10 years. The market has really flattened out the last year and half, too. Will that change? Probably eventually. You can get an idea on the trend by going here: www.machinegunpriceguide.com

DutyUse
23 October 2015, 07:21
Awesome post, thanks bro

Joelski
23 October 2015, 10:18
I'm shopping right now, actually. I really want an HK sear, since it works in so many different hosts. I'll probably get an MP5K first, then a Mike's Machines MM23E belt fed.

As for value...based on the appreciation over the past 20 years, there's no reason they won't keep going up. My friend that took me to the machinegun shoot said it's like a decent financial investment that you get to enjoy the entire time you own. Even if they don't increase much, you'll still get your money back out if you decide to liquidate, and you can use it the whole time.

If I had a special DeLorean, I'd program it take me straight back to 1984 and buy up every H&K sear pack I could get my hands on at $200 apiece. What a game!