PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Protection Act

DeviantLogic
27 October 2015, 07:28
Cross your fingers...

H.R.3799 - Hearing Protection Act of 2015 (https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/3799/text)

More from Breitbart (http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/10/23/rep-introduces-hearing-protection-act-steamline-purchase-firearm-suppressors/), Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/gun-silencers-bill_562a405fe4b0ec0a38941ad2), and the NRA (http://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2015/10/23/now-hear-this-the-nra-supports-the-hearing-protection-act/).

Farva
27 October 2015, 08:06
I'm hopeful but I doubt it will pass. Gotta keep in mind it's being voted on by people who are completely uneducated to what a suppressor actually is. To them they are silent murder machines of super assault death reapers.

Joelski
27 October 2015, 08:56
We have to educate the masses.

Joelski
27 October 2015, 08:58
Note I did not say them asses!

Silencer Shop
27 October 2015, 09:06
Gotta keep in mind it's being voted on by people who are completely uneducated to what a suppressor actually is. To them they are silent murder machines of super assault death reapers.

Best quote ever.

UWone77
27 October 2015, 09:09
I'd love to believe this will pass... even in this climate, but realistically, I'd be shocked if this gained any traction.

However, can you imagine suppressor sales if it did?

Farva
27 October 2015, 09:14
I'd love to believe this will pass... even in this climate, but realistically, I'd be shocked if this gained any traction.

Suppressors for days!

Farva
27 October 2015, 09:15
Best quote ever.

Haha thank you sir!

alamo5000
27 October 2015, 09:27
I think this has a fair chance actually... Until it hits Obama's desk. Being an election year it can be a big deal. I also think it needs to be approached as a safety issue, which a silencer is a safety device. I've been around politics my whole life. I don't want to say more than that but this year is the one to call your representative and express your opinion.

The more we have level headed people calling and writing that's a good thing. Like I said if the main approach is how silencers are for safety as well as polite shooting and the fact that they are legal in 40+ states won't hurt the case at all. Why is the government regulating a safety device? Why put forth all the money and effort to regulate a harmless item?

Like I said if we get enough people in every district calling their rep....it will help. Right now lets find out who's on the committee and focus on them.

alamo5000
27 October 2015, 09:30
What we also need to know is how in the hell did they wind up on the list to start with? Anyone know?

SwissyJim
27 October 2015, 11:05
I've contacted my reps and expressed my thoughts and asked them to pass it. Got lackys that said they'd pass it on so never got to talk with them direct - hopefully I get a call back (actually happened once). However, I'll be pretty surprised if it passes - in this day of media thinking an earplug is an assault weapon bullet, the morons are in full force. Doesn't matter that crimes committed by NFA items are virtually non-existent, they think they all are committed with silenced full auto short barrels. </sarcasm off>

toolboxluis00200
27 October 2015, 11:32
$100 suppressor FTW but ibam not holding myvbreath

alamo5000
27 October 2015, 11:33
My rep is on the ways and means committee. The other place it was referred to is the judiciary committee. Look those two up and see if anyone from your districts are on there or anyone you know is in those specific people's districts. Call if you can writing works well too. Going for reps not on those two committees at this point won't do much good. If we make the case to those selected members of the house then it can go for a full vote.

Joelski
27 October 2015, 11:44
$100 suppressor FTW but ibam not holding myvbreath

The snobby steel used in them would cost more than a C-note, but yeah, repeal the tax!

Tyrannosaur
27 October 2015, 17:30
I live in NY, Schumer and Slaughter are my representatives... there's no hope. Even if passed Cuomo would see to it they were banned

BoilerUp
27 October 2015, 18:32
I'm hopeful but I doubt it will pass. Gotta keep in mind it's being voted on by people who are completely uneducated....

Hell, it worked for Obamacare, so maybe we have a chance. We need to pass it to see what's in it.

Farva
27 October 2015, 18:33
Hell, it worked for Obamacare, so maybe we have a chance. We need to pass it to see what's in it.

Agreed!

DeviantLogic
27 October 2015, 21:16
Gotta keep in mind it's being voted on by people who are completely uneducated to what a suppressor actually is.

Agreed. Education is key - both for those in congress and the public in general. The anti-gunners will vote no and the others will vote for whatever gets them elected again. A suppressor is a safety device that is essentially a metal tube, and about as dangerous as a flying dildo. If the public had a better understanding of this the chances of the legislation passing would definitely be in our favor.

Thompson
28 October 2015, 09:20
I'd be too idealistic to think that this would pass Obama's desk. But that's just me.

Tim Harmsen actually said that putting this out now is a bad idea. Since it's unlikely to pass, it will be years until this is brought up again by Congress in a future bill - according to him.

Food for thought.

Pyzik
28 October 2015, 12:38
Hopeful and doubtful.

alamo5000
28 October 2015, 15:04
I called my congressman today. Now that Paul Ryan is the House leader (as of today) Kevin Brady (my representative) is most likely soon to be tapped as the head of the ways and means committee. As of right now I think he's second in charge. They are the committee that will hear and examine this piece of legislation before it goes anywhere. We will see how it goes.

Joelski
28 October 2015, 15:50
Naturally, it can't be tucked into another 18.000 page bill like the speckle-bellied lizard protection act of 2011. We need underhanded, crooked lobbyists like the BLM and Sierra Club to hook us up!

Battle Cock
28 October 2015, 19:06

I'd have one for every caliber I own in less than 6 months.

din
28 October 2015, 22:08
lobbyists like the BLM

I LOLed.

toolboxluis00200
28 October 2015, 22:35
I LOLed.

Me too

JoshAston
18 November 2015, 15:11
The Senate version S. 2236, sponsored by Idaho Senator Michael Crapo, was sent to committee earlier this month.

https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/114/s2236

cjd3
16 December 2015, 11:53
I just got this from my Senator:

Thank you for contacting me about S. 2236, the Hearing Protection Act of 2015. I appreciate hearing from you and having the opportunity to respond.

S. 2236 was introduced by Senator Mike Crapo on November 4, 2015, and was referred to the Senate Committee on Finance. If enacted, this legislation would amend the tax code to eliminate the transfer tax on firearm silencers and remove the National Firearms Act application process. Registration and licensing requirements for firearm silencers would be the same as those required for purchasing a firearm. This legislation has not been considered by the Committee at this time.

Should the Senate consider S. 2236 or similar legislation, I will keep your comments in mind. Again, thank you for contacting me.

It's a form letter, like the form letter I sent via SilencerCo. Perhaps next year.

Joelski
16 December 2015, 13:54
I LOLed.

I actually meant the Bureau of Land Management, but yeah...

WHSmithIV
16 December 2015, 17:43
I called my congressman today. Now that Paul Ryan is the House leader (as of today) Kevin Brady (my representative) is most likely soon to be tapped as the head of the ways and means committee. As of right now I think he's second in charge. They are the committee that will hear and examine this piece of legislation before it goes anywhere. We will see how it goes.

Ideally they'll stall it until after the election. If it were to pass and be one of the the first new pieces of legislation on the Oval Office desk then it probably gets signed and not vetoed.

alamo5000
16 December 2015, 17:46
It would honestly be dumb to have this up and being debated during an election year... especially after the recent shootings.

alamo5000
16 December 2015, 17:48
Ideally they'll stall it until after the election. If it were to pass and be one of the the first new pieces of legislation on the Oval Office desk then it probably gets signed and not vetoed.

If we get a decent President up there then this has about a 90% chance if you ask my opinion.

SwissyJim
16 December 2015, 20:02
I just got this from my Senator:

It's a form letter, like the form letter I sent via SilencerCo. Perhaps next year.

Got the exact same thing from all 3... not a personal reply in the bunch. A few years ago I wrote to Begich and I actually got an honest to God phone call back from him personally, and we talked about a few things for quite awhile. And say what you will about Young, he was the ONLY one to reply to me on another issue.

cjd3
16 December 2015, 20:04
It would honestly be dumb to have this up and being debated during an election year... especially after the recent shootings.
With the Magic Bullet Button, who knows what they'd say: "Suppressors: The Silent Killer" Imagine a world where the last thing that Bob and Linda heard, was nothing.

voodoo_man
16 December 2015, 20:21
With the Magic Bullet Button, who knows what they'd say: "Suppressors: The Silent Killer" Imagine a world where the last thing that Bob and Linda heard, was nothing.

Not even remotely any numbers to backup this type of thinking.

In fact the hunting community would probably rally behind the suppressor law changes.

cjd3
16 December 2015, 20:43
Not even remotely any numbers to backup this type of thinking.

In fact the hunting community would probably rally behind the suppressor law changes.

I'm getting my .30-06 threaded this summer. I really don't care what the old guys on the hunt think, but it is my rifle, my ears.

DutyUse
16 December 2015, 21:29
I'm getting my .30-06 threaded this summer. I really don't care what the old guys on the hunt think, but it is my rifle, my ears.

I'm an avid hunter and using a suppressor in the stand is one of the driving forces for me getting a can as well. Most of the guys I know feel like it's a tool to be used like a range finder or a call. I get what your saying though, might get a stray weird look or two in camp lol

voodoo_man
17 December 2015, 05:52
If they say something to you, just make a statement about being a professional and curtious towards others because you have one and they don't...

VIPER 237
17 December 2015, 08:17
Only assholes and communists shoot unsuppressed...

cjd3
17 December 2015, 16:27
If they say something to you, just make a statement about being a professional and curtious towards others because you have one and they don't...
I'll have to be careful with them. One is my father-in-law, and he also has the keys to the plane that gets me home.

voodoo_man
17 December 2015, 16:37
I'll have to be careful with them. One is my father-in-law, and he also has the keys to the plane that gets me home.

Sounds like improper life planning

voodoo_man
17 December 2015, 16:38
Only assholes and communists shoot unsuppressed...

Hey now, there are californians, new jerseyians and new yorkers that resemble that statement