PDA

View Full Version : Crown cleanup

cjd3
27 October 2015, 12:00
I'm in the process of swapping muzzle brakes. I've since removed the original one, and I now have access to the crown of the barrel. So, should I even worry about the carbon build up, and just clean the threads, or tackle the crown face too. Which begs the second question, if I do clean the crown, should this be maintenance item after x amount of rounds shot?

Former11B
27 October 2015, 13:19
I'm in the process of swapping muzzle brakes. I've since removed the original one, and I now have access to the crown of the barrel. So, should I even worry about the carbon build up, and just clean the threads, or tackle the crown face too. Which begs the second question, if I do clean the crown, should this be maintenance item after x amount of rounds shot?

I'm assuming carbon build up?

I just take a bore brush and scrub it off, possibly some Hoppes #9 to wet it all down and scrub the threads and exposed surfaces clean and make sure they are free of carbon/debris, and check the barrel/rifling with a flash light for signs of rust or anything out of the ordinary.

When I would clean my AR with thread on suppressor, I'd take the can off, clean the carbon off the barrel threads, clean the suppressors threads, etc and make sure it was spotless before reattaching the can. Gave me the opportunity to see if anything had changed since the last go-round and if anything was out of the ordinary.

SINNER
27 October 2015, 18:55
Carbon build up on the crown will affect accuracy. Seems to me the brakes that the crown stops inside the threads and not protrude past are affected worse with less buildup.

gatordev
27 October 2015, 19:00
Honest question and not trying to stir the pot... what is it about the carbon on the FACE of the crown that affects accuracy? If the bullet isn't ever touching the face, why would it matter? Trying to figure out the science on how a part that is normally butted up against a brake/FH would matter.

SINNER
27 October 2015, 19:11
Same reason a target crown is more accurate than a straight cut muzzle. Influence from the gases as the bullet exits the barrel.

Dstrbdmedic167
27 October 2015, 19:15
Same reason a target crown is more accurate than a straight cut muzzle. Influence from the gases as the bullet exits the barrel.

I agree with this but another question arises to me. If this is so can a chosen muzzle device affect accuracy vs another...

Slippers
27 October 2015, 19:44
There are a lot of opinions on what the actual "crown" is, but the part that matters for accuracy is the edge where the bore and rifling intersect the face of the barrel. Carbon on the face of the barrel is somewhat self limiting, and I have seen far too many people ruin a good barrel trying to remove it.

Be careful if you really want to remove the buildup, especially if you aren't taking the muzzle device off.

SINNER
27 October 2015, 19:47
I agree with this but another question arises to me. If this is so can a chosen muzzle device affect accuracy vs another...

Without a doubt.