PDA

View Full Version : Your weapons database - how do you record?

SwissyJim
28 October 2015, 13:17
So... question for the masses. How do you, if you do, record your weapons for insurance/security reasons? There was a recent posting up here in regards to a large collection of weapons that was stolen -

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_43/590154_Stolen_NFA_BOLO.html

Keeping them in a storage locker aside (!), it got me thinking about record keeping. I'm curious as to what y'all do for record keeping. I'm assuming most will use a spreadsheet? For a long time I've always used a sheet of paper with details written on and photos stapled on kept in a file folder away from the guns. But I recently found a stand alone program 'GunSafe' that I put everything into and keep in my dropbox folder as well as the master on a Flash Drive. That way every computer has an updated version, as well as on the dropbox server, and I can keep the flash drive somewhere totally secure. As well as a printout in m files cabinet. Plus it's somewhat customizable which is nice.

But I don't have a huge collection... if anyone has a kickass program, or customized spreadsheet they'd be willing to share, I'm interested to hear it.

And yeah... a storage locker? In one of the replies on another forum, it was stated that it was secure and legal but I'm curious as to how that works with NFA items. And another posting on the storage unit operation and security features makes me really scream WTF?!?!?

SINNER
28 October 2015, 13:33
My insurance agent pretty much requires me to have video documentation of all items of value. Since my collection is insured for replacement cost including optics and accesories yearly I update the video with the new additions. That is true for all large purchases not just firearms.

UWone77
28 October 2015, 14:00
Pictures and a spreadsheet.

On a side note, I've been to enough Storage locker burglaries to know I'd never keep anything valuable in one. Happens so frequently where someone has their lock cut, it's cleaned out, and unreported for months (or whenever they check on the locker) At least make the thieves work for it, via ripping your safe out of the floor and then peeling it open.

I've also always been curious why people keep items in storage for years, when the storage fees eventually cost more than the items being stored.

gatordev
28 October 2015, 14:09
I use a Google Docs spreadsheet. I'm not really all that concerned if Google knows (or can even understand) that I have a "Spike's 5.45 16" " I have it split up by type in tabs (pistols, ARs, rifles, NFA) w/ replacement values for each item. Can be sobering when you look at the "Totals" tab! My pictures are pretty out of date, and in a perfect world, it would be good to have them, but I just haven't made the time. My insurance doesn't require it, so it hasn't been a priority.

MoxyDave
28 October 2015, 14:11
I use an Excel spreadsheet. I have some photos and video, but not much. Real peace of mind comes from a high-quality safe. Ask an old locksmith what he likes - someone that's been doing it for many years. There are several brands that are highly regarded, and many that aren't.

toolboxluis00200
28 October 2015, 14:20
One day I need to sit down and record all my stuff on paper

Thompson
28 October 2015, 17:10
I've also always been curious why people keep items in storage for years, when the storage fees eventually cost more than the items being stored.
I never even would have thought twice about that being more common that I thought it'd be. I guess that's why others, like myself, would have thought that there'd be a greater chance of a theft at home vs. some place out of sight and out of mind (but thinking about that now, seems like this would be the perfect place to strike).

One day I need to sit down and record all my stuff on paper
I should probably get rolling on that too ...

toolboxluis00200
28 October 2015, 17:27
I never even would have thought twice about that being more common that I thought it'd be. I guess that's why others, like myself, would have thought that there'd be a greater chance of a theft at home vs. some place out of sight and out of mind (but thinking about that now, seems like this would be the perfect place to strike).

I should probably get rolling on that too ...

But my list is short [BD]

Joelski
28 October 2015, 17:59
Digital photo's with an itemized list of all constituent parts, backed up to a local external HD, my cloud, and a flash drive in a safe location off-site. I should add it to a safe deposit box at some point for a final level, but keeping the spreadsheet up-to-date and synchronizing is a big job. It doesn't get done nearly as often as it should for whichever moderately expensive hobby I'm focused on at the time. I rotate between guns, knives, musical instruments and pro audio gear in addition to more common household contents.

jdhill
28 October 2015, 18:25
Spreadsheet and pictures... sheet has Make, model, cal, sn, date of purchase, place of purchase, price, estimated replacement value, and any mounted aftermarket stuff (optics, BUIS, grips, etc) - the last two are updated periodically.... keep it backed up in several different places...

Thompson
28 October 2015, 18:51
But my list is short [BD]
Guarantee you mine is shorter :P

DeviantLogic
28 October 2015, 19:19
Great discussion. I keep track of everything in Excel and have a couple digital backups. The spreadsheet isn't anything fancy...make, model, serial number, and a notes column. Physical copies are stored in my safe plus a couple family members safes.

cjd3
28 October 2015, 21:51
I've got a neat app called Gunlog +p if you have an iOS device. It's a pretty good database, a lot of features I don't use.
Gun Log +P by Slinkworks, LLC (https://appsto.re/us/DK2TD.i)

din
28 October 2015, 22:05
I write it on my hand.

2ATA
29 October 2015, 08:04
I guess it depends on the size of the collection and your insurance requirements. I never thought to much about it until I was cleaning one day and started pulling everything out. When I hit triple digits my insurance agent, who is also the Household 6, made documentation a requirement on my policy.

UWone77
29 October 2015, 08:11
Guarantee you mine is shorter :P

I thought we were talking about guns?

WHSmithIV
29 October 2015, 09:14
Pictures and a spreadsheet.

On a side note, I've been to enough Storage locker burglaries to know I'd never keep anything valuable in one. Happens so frequently where someone has their lock cut, it's cleaned out, and unreported for months (or whenever they check on the locker) At least make the thieves work for it, via ripping your safe out of the floor and then peeling it open.

That's what I have - spreadsheet and pictures.

Bronco75
29 October 2015, 10:17
My insurance requires a video record of my firearms and I have a separate policy just for them as my standard coverage only covers $1000 for firearm loss.

Former11B
29 October 2015, 11:51
I keep a PowerPoint on my computer, a thumb drive, and my email account. The PowerPoint Has a page for each gun, containing descriptions, pictures, itemized values, and pictures of serial numbers up close of everything. We are talking guns, expensive optics, suppressors, etc. I told my insurance rep about it one day and asked if that was sufficient in case of loss or theft and she said She wished everyone made it that easy

voodoo_man
29 October 2015, 12:03
I do both, excel document and video everything, including ammo.

Jerry R
29 October 2015, 12:14
I have a fairly detailed spreadsheet with the obvious things, plus who gets what when I take the dirt nap. I also take a photo every now and then.

BoilerUp
29 October 2015, 20:22
I just call the NSA when I need an inventory of my weapons.

six8
31 October 2015, 20:01
Lost all of mine in a boating accident :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thompson
1 November 2015, 09:28
I thought we were talking about guns?
Well fk, I thought we were talking about something else ...