PDA

View Full Version : Form 1 Suppressors

JoshAston
2 November 2015, 14:43
Got my Form 1s back today, 6/22 for a 9mm can and 7/28 for an integral .300 BLK.

Time to get to work!

Here's the endcap and modded booster for the 9mm
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/02/26ce2200818aa3acac901fe392d861af.jpg

voodoo_man
2 November 2015, 16:10
Sweet!

UWone77
2 November 2015, 17:18
Did you use a kit? Or make them yourself?

JoshAston
2 November 2015, 17:42
I'm making the baffles myself. The booster is a Liberty Mystic that's had the threads moved back 3/8" and the OD turned down to 1.25". Place called Diversified Machine did that and the endcap for me. Ive got a buddy with a lathe that's helping thread the tube which is a piece of 2024 I got off of onlinemetals.

The .300 I'm doing most of the work myself. I'll have the tube turned down to fit inside a Geissele barrel nut on the back end. I'm building a custom two piece gas block. I'll port the barrel right behind the threads. The endcap will be held in place by the muzzle device. There won't be any baffles, just a reflex style blast baffle integral to the gun. Probably going to use a Griffin minimalist on the muzzle to attach another Form 1 can. It'll be a three stamp build when I'm done. Already have the SBR stamp approved.

UWone77
2 November 2015, 18:42
Look forward to seeing your results after some range time. I think a Form 1 Suppressor would be a fun/great project to do. The Kit prices I've seen are very reasonable.

toolboxluis00200
2 November 2015, 19:04
Groovy keep us posted

Former11B
2 November 2015, 20:41
Look forward to seeing your results after some range time. I think a Form 1 Suppressor would be a fun/great project to do. The Kit prices I've seen are very reasonable.

I agree. Considering some of the new stuff offered by companies like SDTA (I think I got that right), will allow the use of muzzle devices by Griffin, YHM, etc, and not just thread on options (not that I have an issue with that) makes it so much easier nowadays....a friend just built a brake mounted SS & Ti .30 cal can in the low $200 range WITH parts left over for another one (parts not yet considered silencer parts)....

It makes me want to build a few, to say the least. I'd like to start with making my own .22 can and then a lightweight .30 can for hunting

mustangfreek
3 November 2015, 00:48
I have been interested in this for a while..tagging Along

JoshAston
3 November 2015, 05:38
Considering some of the new stuff offered by companies like SDTA (I think I got that right), will allow the use of muzzle devices by Griffin, YHM, etc, and not just thread on options (not that I have an issue with that) makes it so much easier nowadays..

SDTA no longer offers any brake adapters other than their own. Diversified Machine does Griffin, YHM, and 3 lug. He only takes custom orders and has a long lead time though, the quality is worth it in my opinion. There are a few other shops doing custom work as well, I just haven't dealt with them. Your budget and imagination are pretty much the only limitations when it comes to Form 1 cans. If you want a sub $100 can, you can build it, it'll be heavy and maybe not the most effective, but it will work. If you want to spend a grand on a can, you can do that to. Realistically though, you can do a can that's compares favorably to commercial cans for about $200-300 or so. Inconel and Stellite are the only metals that aren't as readily available for Form 1 builders. You can still get them, they're just prohibitively expensive. Grade 5 Ti, 17-4 SS, 7075 AL, etc. are all readily available for decent prices.

DeviantLogic
3 November 2015, 06:05
Very cool. Have any CAD exports showing the general design? Really interested to see that .300 BLK integral build.

Former11B
3 November 2015, 06:31
SDTA no longer offers any brake adapters other than their own. Diversified Machine does Griffin, YHM, and 3 lug. He only takes custom orders and has a long lead time though, the quality is worth it in my opinion. There are a few other shops doing custom work as well, I just haven't dealt with them. Your budget and imagination are pretty much the only limitations when it comes to Form 1 cans. If you want a sub $100 can, you can build it, it'll be heavy and maybe not the most effective, but it will work. If you want to spend a grand on a can, you can do that to. Realistically though, you can do a can that's compares favorably to commercial cans for about $200-300 or so. Inconel and Stellite are the only metals that aren't as readily available for Form 1 builders. You can still get them, they're just prohibitively expensive. Grade 5 Ti, 17-4 SS, 7075 AL, etc. are all readily available for decent prices.

Thanks for updating the info.

There's a member on ARFcom suppressor forum/moderator (Big Waylon) and he's also active on Carolina Shooter's Club who is a WEALTH of info for form 1 cans...he's built I think 6-7 of them with a variety of machined adapters to work with YHM mounts, SiCo ASR (Spec War) mounts and I think some others (3 lug maybe). If anyone is interested in a Form1, stalk him on ARFcom.

JoshAston
3 November 2015, 07:05
Very cool. Have any CAD exports showing the general design? Really interested to see that .300 BLK integral build.

I wish, me and CAD software don't get along very well